Stanford University

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Stanford University

Interview Details – Phone interview with 3 different faculties first. After that, I was invited onsite to meet more faculties and other postdocs.

Interview Question – Why should I not hire you?   Answer Question

Stanford, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stanford University in August 2010.

Interview Details – Met a professor at a conference, was invited to give a job-talk. A few scientific question about my research were asked, a couple of meetings with some lab members to feel whether both sides match.

Interview Question – I was asked about a technical detail in the host lab which I wasn't familiar with.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary, managed to raise 10%.

Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in October 2009.

Interview Details – PI called me to make an interview. First go through my research experience, then go into details of each period. for each period questions about details were asked. maybe it is not face-face interview, so quite many technical details were involved.

Interview Question – why do you choose this group?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

The process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in July 2011.

Interview Details – It is a phone interview. The PI first told me that he might be have a opening in couple of months so he is interviewing. He gave me updated info about his research, talked about how many people in his group, what activities (meetings etc) and collaborators are. The the PI asked me about why I want to join the lab, career goal, visa status, publications. It went well. The things is that they are not sure when the space will open. He told me once he has better idea he will arrange a visit. It's about 45min. Overall the PI was very nice, I really hope his current postdoc find a job and leave soon!

Interview Questions

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!