Stanford University

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Scholar

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Stanford University.

Interview Details – initial email communication, responded to a job posting through nature jobs. 30 minute presentation on thesis work to lab. this was followed by a series of questions regarding my personality, research and motivation for deciding to apply to stanfrd

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation I faced during my PhD work and how did I handle it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Stanford, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stanford University in May 2012.

Interview Details – My future supervisor invited me for a two-day visit, flew me from New York City and got me two nights at a nice hotel. On campus, I gave a seminar in front of a somewhat large audience. I got to talk to some graduate students, some professor working in related fields, and some post-docs. A really pleasant experience overall. I was aware that I was the only candidate matching the profile, because the job had not been filled for two years and my future advisor told me so. He also knew that I had other options, so he had to work to convice me to come.

Interview Question – I did not get any questions really, it was more of a long ongoing discussion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Being European, I did not think about negociating. I probably should have.

Interviewed at Stanford University

Interview Details – Email your CV. If you are preferred, you can work here soon. There is no additional test, or interview. However, the recommendations are very important. The PI will call the recomender directly.

Stanford, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in July 2010.

Interview Details – Initially contacted professors via email asking for interview. Came and gave 30 min talk on research to entire lab. Spent day talking with graduate students and postdocs. Finished day with short talk with professors. Followed up via email to work on research project ideas. Settled on one and applied for funding together. Before funding was decided job offer was extended.

Interview Question – Do you know how to tell if a paper is a real and important result or whether it is just a toy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately I did not negotiate. I know of others who did and got additional concessions such as moving expenses. I wish I had done a little more negotiation but was too inexperience and felt that I was lucky to get a job at Stanford at all.

Postdoctoral Scholar

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Stanford University in January 2012.

Interview Details – made a presentation and talked to others in the lab all day. Advice: be interested and knowledgeable about the work being done.

Interview Question – Visa status - I'm international   View Answer

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!