Stanford University Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Stanford University.

Applied online in the fall. Graduate program lasts 5 quarters. Questions on undergraduate research completed in previous 4 years. Specific grilling on some aspects of testing set up. Some questions on what is attractive about stanford. Overall very smooth. Be prepared to answer specific questions regarding faculty in the department.

Life Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University.

Applied online. Got an email couple weeks later from the assistant saying I've an interview. Interviewed with the PI. I got accepted for the second interview. Visited the PI at Stanford for the second interview. The people were really nice.

Social Science Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in September 2014.

I applied for the position of Research assistant through the Stanford portal as well as a posting for the same job on Idealist.org. I was contacted a fews days later from a leader in the research department through email. I was invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview was very open ended type questions (e.g. tell me about yourself, what are strengths and weaknesses, why do you want to work here?) followed by an informational portion where the interviewer explained the research being conducted. It ended well with a few questions about pay range, potential start date and the interviewee telling me about the next steps in the process. I was not told whether or not I made it to the next round. The interviewer explained I would be contacted through email in a couple of weeks to inform me of their decision. That evening I received an email stating I had made it to the next round and was requested to go in for an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was at the Stanford campus with four different employees (including the director of the program) from the research lab. They asked more direct questions about my knowledge in research methodologies and previous experience gathering data and analyzing statistics. The interview took 2 hours. At the end of the interview I was asked to send references and they would be in touch once they received them.

One week later I had two other phone interviews testing me on the research material that was being conducted. Applicants, know all the research, read it and study it before hand.

At the end of the interview I was offered a job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the research papers you've read about our work here.   Answer Question

Safety and Compliance Assistance Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Applied online through the Stanford Careers website. Several days later, I was asked to fill out an additional questionnaire. Notable questions included the two listed below, as well as a question that essentially asks for things you'd have put in your cover letter anyway.

I had an initial interview with two supervisors a week later. A mix of standard interview questions (why do you want to work here, why are you leaving your previous job, what do you bring to the table), some old-school questions (what are your 3 greatest strengths? your 3 weaknesses?), and a discussion of what specifically the job entailed. This lasted one hour.

The second interview lasted around 1.5 hours. First was a panel interview with the supervisors and 5 people in the position I was applying for. Again, very standard questions, with some behavioral "how would you react to X situation." One interviewer asked me to give an impromptu explanation of a chemical concept at a level understandable to novices to the field. I was also given the chance to ask the interviewers questions about their experiences in the position.

Afterwards, I was given a Standard Operating Procedure to quickly look over and give my thoughts on it to the supervisors.

Another week later, I had a third interview with the supervisors where they asked me to address some concerns they had about hiring me - mainly about the transition from an academic environment to a more rigorously scheduled workplace. Later that day, HR contacted me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Two gave me some trouble.

1. Give an example of a time when you had to work with a difficult individual. Describe what strategies you employed to deal with that person.

2. Give an example of a time when you recognized a safety hazard in your work environment. Describe your process for evaluating the hazard and what you did to manage and control the hazard.

In addition, Stanford apparently still uses hackneyed questions like "What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?" I honestly wasn't expecting that and was caught off guard.

Answer Question
    My lack of prior work experience did not put me in a good position to negotiate. I was also desperate for work at the time and did not wish to push the issue. Stanford pays quite well anyway.

Encryption Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Through a 3rd party Contracting Company - told go for an interview met with 5 people.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about both apple and windows platforms and overall navigation of OS and settings.   Answer Question
    No negotiation told all controlled via the 3rd party contacting company.

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Stanford University in January 2014.

Phone screen, then brought in for an interview. I did this for two different administrative positions

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you will be bored in this position?   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in November 2013.

I was working at the museum as a volunteer. Once I met another volunteer who used to be an empolyee of the museum. He then referred me to a staff and I got the chance to be interviewed. The interview is not difficult, just asked about my passion about art, what I am learning at Stanford, etc.

Academic Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

Day-long interview with job talk. Multiple stakeholders are scheduled for 45 minute sessions. Unstructured questions. Lunch with unit staff. Dinner afterward. Very friendly atmosphere. It can be difficult when being interviewed by multiple staff whose internal dynamics come out in questioning. Endurance and diplomacy are important for the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Staff complain about lack of formal policy to govern their responsibility area and ask what you would do to fix it.   View Answer

Student Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

I was told the interview would be a panel setup with possibly 3 people, it ended up being 6! For an entry level position. I think that was overkill, but they can get away with it. I was asked to explain how previous experience would serve me in this position? When was a time I had planned an event and volunteers had left me stranded? How would I keep students dedicated, and involved with events when their schedules are hectic? What would I do in the first three months of employment? What was a student involvement like in my university experience? How could I improve upon it?

Interview Questions
    • What sort program would you plan to get students from different dormitories/dinning halls to interact with each other? They gave no feedback, or clarification when I asked.   View Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Stanford University.

Initial phone call from the HR manager of a research center was straightforward. First interview was with the HR manager to confirm employment details, gauge my interest in different research topics and job functions. Second (final) interview was with my eventual boss and my predecessor, to confirm details of the job responsibilities and to go more in-depth into my relevant experience. Very friendly and approachable interviewers throughout the process, ample opportunities for questions.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a different job than the one you applied for?   View Answer