Stanford University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Associate Interview

Administrative Associate
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in April 2013.

Interview Details – I had a fast pleasant experience getting hired at Stanford with my current position. I had interviewed for two other positions at different departments and never heard back from either and l months later I received an automated reply that the positions had been filled. Stanford is VERY decentralized and there are many issues with their hiring process. People never follow up, don't email, and they can take MONTHS to call back so don't hold your breathe. My advice is don't give up, they have great benefits so the trouble is worth it if you appreciate a good work/life balance.

Interview Question – They asked how do you deal with unresponsive faculty members?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, HR has set pay scale's and you simply accept.

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Stanford, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stanford University in May 2012.

Interview Details – My future supervisor invited me for a two-day visit, flew me from New York City and got me two nights at a nice hotel. On campus, I gave a seminar in front of a somewhat large audience. I got to talk to some graduate students, some professor working in related fields, and some post-docs. A really pleasant experience overall. I was aware that I was the only candidate matching the profile, because the job had not been filled for two years and my future advisor told me so. He also knew that I had other options, so he had to work to convice me to come.

Interview Question – I did not get any questions really, it was more of a long ongoing discussion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Being European, I did not think about negociating. I probably should have.

Director, Purchasing Services Interview

Director, Purchasing Services
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Stanford University in August 2013.

Interview Details – The worst experience ever: unorganized, long interviews, no action/follow up, lots of internal politics that comes through from the interviewers comments, arrogance (you should feel honored to be interviewing here -- don't waste your time. Employees and managers are not aligned or on the same page when interviewing. Management is not forthcoming/honest about the true working situation of the department, quality of the employees, or about the goals of the job.

Interview Question – Can we get more references -- after three references and complete back ground, credit, history check -- really?   View Answer

Academic Technology Interview

Academic Technology
Stanford, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Stanford University in October 2013.

Interview Details – Day-long interview with job talk. Multiple stakeholders are scheduled for 45 minute sessions. Unstructured questions. Lunch with unit staff. Dinner afterward. Very friendly atmosphere. It can be difficult when being interviewed by multiple staff whose internal dynamics come out in questioning. Endurance and diplomacy are important for the interview day.

Interview Question – Staff complain about lack of formal policy to govern their responsibility area and ask what you would do to fix it.   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Stanford University in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process begins when you are admitted as a graduate student. In order to be admitted you have to submit an application. Then if you're in the idea is to find an advisor willing to fund you. In order to get hired by a research group you will have to work on a project for a quarter and try to impress the professor.

Interview Question – I had to develop an advection code during the quarter that is able to account for shocks.   Answer Question

Administrative Associate Interview

Administrative Associate
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then brought in for an interview. I did this for two different administrative positions

Interview Question – Do you think you will be bored in this position?   View Answer

Encryption Team Interview

Encryption Team
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Interview Details – Through a 3rd party Contracting Company - told go for an interview met with 5 people.

Interview Question – Ask about both apple and windows platforms and overall navigation of OS and settings.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation told all controlled via the 3rd party contacting company.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Stanford, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in January 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed only with my professor

Negotiation Details – I was given a salary that I accepted

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stanford University in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was working at the museum as a volunteer. Once I met another volunteer who used to be an empolyee of the museum. He then referred me to a staff and I got the chance to be interviewed. The interview is not difficult, just asked about my passion about art, what I am learning at Stanford, etc.

Safety and Compliance Assistance Team Member Interview

Safety and Compliance Assistance Team Member
Stanford, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stanford University in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through the Stanford Careers website. Several days later, I was asked to fill out an additional questionnaire. Notable questions included the two listed below, as well as a question that essentially asks for things you'd have put in your cover letter anyway.

I had an initial interview with two supervisors a week later. A mix of standard interview questions (why do you want to work here, why are you leaving your previous job, what do you bring to the table), some old-school questions (what are your 3 greatest strengths? your 3 weaknesses?), and a discussion of what specifically the job entailed. This lasted one hour.

The second interview lasted around 1.5 hours. First was a panel interview with the supervisors and 5 people in the position I was applying for. Again, very standard questions, with some behavioral "how would you react to X situation." One interviewer asked me to give an impromptu explanation of a chemical concept at a level understandable to novices to the field. I was also given the chance to ask the interviewers questions about their experiences in the position.

Afterwards, I was given a Standard Operating Procedure to quickly look over and give my thoughts on it to the supervisors.

Another week later, I had a third interview with the supervisors where they asked me to address some concerns they had about hiring me - mainly about the transition from an academic environment to a more rigorously scheduled workplace. Later that day, HR contacted me and offered me a position.

Interview Question – Two gave me some trouble.

1. Give an example of a time when you had to work with a difficult individual. Describe what strategies you employed to deal with that person.

2. Give an example of a time when you recognized a safety hazard in your work environment. Describe your process for evaluating the hazard and what you did to manage and control the hazard.

In addition, Stanford apparently still uses hackneyed questions like "What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses in the workplace?" I honestly wasn't expecting that and was caught off guard.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My lack of prior work experience did not put me in a good position to negotiate. I was also desperate for work at the time and did not wish to push the issue. Stanford pays quite well anyway.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Stanford University

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University interview questions and advice in San Jose, CA. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees and interview candidates.