Stanley Black & Decker

Stanley Black & Decker Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2014
Updated Aug 9, 2014

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in July 2014.

I worked with a recruiter, the process was very simple. I applied online, received a phone call the next day. I had my interview over 3 hours with 3 individual the following week. Two weeks later, I had a second quick phone interview that was all behavioral questions, they were fast firing questions. They were very open with the issues they have, they stated it is a very competitive atmosphere, and the hours could be long.

Interview Questions
    • What projects have you completed to make your job more efficient?   Answer Question
    Very simple, I was very happy with my offer.

Market Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Applied on line, got a call w/i 2 days, phone interview 2 days later, asked to come in 3 days later. Received an offer after 2 days. The process was quick. The interview was mainly tell me about your experiences. No questions of substance and seemed desperate to get anyone.

ACCEPTING THIS JOB WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY CAREER. I found out the previous person left in less than a year and many others went to other companies. The place is really dysfunctional.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with conflict? ...I found out there is lots of finger pointing and managers yelling
      Are you dedicated to work long hours? ...people work 12-14 hrs/day, typically 11 hrs at work and 1-3hrs at home.
      Can you start immediately? ...the hiring manager looked exhausted since he had multple openings
        Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Really negotiate for a high salary b/c the annual raises are max 2% (avg 1%) and promotions don't seem to be based on merit.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Brought me in for a 3 panel interview, ask me superficial questions, and called me back two days later. Lots of people quit and they were desperate. I probably would have refused the offer had I known. I was doing so much work when I started until people were hired to fill all the voids.

Finance Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in March 2013.

There were multiple levels of interviews which were very organized. Visited with the company three times. Negotiation was fast. Would have liked to learn more details about incentive comp before negotiating.

Sales & Marketing Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in November 2013.

I found out about the opportunity on my university's job recruiting site. I was contacted via email by an HR rep the same day I applied online. We set up a phone interview in which I was asked basic behavioral questions (i.e., What is your greatest weakness?). After the phone interview, I was invited to an have an in-person interview with a Market Manager (the 2nd position in the program) at one of the local Home Depot's . The Market Manager basically asked the same questions I encountered in the phone interview. After about two days, I was invited to the final-round interview in Townson.

The final round was a two-day process. The first day was very laid back and fun. We received more information about the program and the different positions within it. They told us about the benefits package and allowed us to ask any other questions we had. They provided all meals, which included a nice dinner at the Baltimore Harbor after we had participated in a group building scavenger hunt around the harbor. The second day consisted of three one-on-one interviews with HR reps. We were given a schedule with our interview times on it and were asked to stay in a room that had unlimited beverages, food, and ping pong. The interviews asked behavioral questions and focused on how you could apply past experiences. We were also asked to prepare a 5-minute interview on a Power Tool (don't worry, it's not as hard is it sounds). Overall, it was a fantastic experience.

Interview Questions
    • A) How would you list in order of importance company, product, and yourself?

B) What questions have you formulated as you have done your research on the company?
        View Answer
    No negotiation. Flat $37,000 base salary that increases by about $3,000 with every promotion in the program. Nice benefits: company truck, 401K with 7% match, stock options, health and dental, life insurance, and they give you a lump sum to cover any moving expenses.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in April 2013.

applied via my school's career website, followed by a phone interview. last round was a super day held in Towson. it was comprised of three interviews and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about a recen nnews item not related to the business   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Interviewed by 5 people. 4 of them were waste of time - seemed incompentant. The 5th person was plant manager, where the conversation was meaningful. 4-5 weeks later, with no time to plan or prepare, I was asked to meet with upper level management where an offer was made. I was expected to make decision on spot - but managed to get at least one night to respond.

Interview Questions
    Not much room to negotiate. I feel like I could have asked for more and maybe would have gotten it. Blame myself for not being more aggressive. I've learned, if there is an open position, they will fill the position.

Sales Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

The interview was a standard interview process. It was basically the usual standard behavioral questions and tells me the time you do this in the past. I has a good experience until at end the process. After the 4th interviews, there was zero communication of any kind of from the hiring manager. I tried to follow up, but none of my e-mails or phones call was answer.

Now I didn't expect much, but a little bit of common courtesy would have been nice since I did go 4 round of interview. I would have been satisfy with just a generic computer generate e-mail, but I didn't even get that. Overall the whole process leave a bad taste.

Assembler Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker.

Staffing agency, was very easy... they check my curriculum vitae and then they hired me.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stanley Black & Decker in January 2014.

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. After a brief discussion, I was handed off to the main recruiter who works directly with SB&D. He was friendly and knowledgeable - a CPA. Apparently he is the only guy that SB&D uses for Finance recruitment. And he works with the CFO on the Finance staff development plans/reviews.

He liked me and I visited the campus for an onsite interview. Nice location but I was struck with their mission statement - "A numbers organization with values". I heard some negative comments about B&D. Specifically, that they would fur low their staff to hit a quarterly number - not good management. As a Finance professional, I value hitting your numbers but not at the expense of your staff.

Throughout the interview, I also got the sense there were other parts of their culture that did not match with me. The interviewers all mentioned a sense of competition among the staff. Competition, not excellence, this was strange. I felt SB&D pushes their staff to excel by feeding on other team member's failures.

I lost my enthusiasm for the position mid-way through the interview process, and did not continue.

Interview Questions
    • They seem to focus on the standard behavioral questions. I.e. "Name a time when you failed and what happened..."   Answer Question

Worked for Stanley Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!