Stantec

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.4

Co-Op Student Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec in November 2014.

I put in my resume and talked with a recruiter at our college's career fair at the end of September. I then received a call on November 3rd that they were interested in having me interview on-site. I had an individual interview with two recruiters. I didn't hear back from over a month so I sent a follow-up e-mail. This sparked a conversation that led to me getting the position the 2nd week of December.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't even any behavioral questions. It was a simple friendly dialogue going over what the company was and my background experiences. I was primarily asked if I was interested in the position and what skills I possessed. I was asked if I had experience with databases, AutoCAD and MathCAD, and, most importantly, if I would be comfortable calling vendors.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec.

Not sure I just called and asked about student internships and they told me to send in a resume, about a month later got an email inquiring when I could come in to talk

didn't have one

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec.

Long process. 6 to 7 interviews. Hiring manager does not have any clue about most of the requirements. Does not respond to follow up queries. Offer was a generous one. But later found out that they dont pay overtime.

Environmental Risk Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec in June 2014.

This company is very slow to make hiring decisions. After 3 months, 2 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews (one with lunch and another over dinner), I've been told I basically have the job, but they have to get the financials arranged. It's been an odd circular loop, they tell me there have been meetings at high levels discussing the need to hire more people and yet they are hesitant to actually hire. I worry that if I get this job I will have difficultly getting the help I need because of the slow process and numerous meetings required.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Stantec.

Hiring took about 3 weeks. Salary and bonus was included as verbally negotiated. Interviewers were less experienced and familiar with the position applied for so the questioning was more high level than technical

Junior Interior Designer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Stantec.

Interviewing with this company was a very positive experience.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec.

The first interview was not like any I've had before. They didn't seem interested in asking about me or my credentials. They just told me about the job. We were interrupted many times during the interview by other employees. It lasted less than a half hour and I walked out bewildered and confused. A month later I got called for a second interview where I met with some of the architects. They were nice but were more interested in chatting than finding out about my experience. That interview was about an hour. I waited a month to hear something and finally called them to find out I wasn't chosen after they had told me I would hear back either way.

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Stantec in September 2013.

Be friendly, smart, and preferably from around the area. Having someone vet for you is very important around here. They were interested on my talents as much as my ability to talk easily. Position is very client driven so if you are courteous and social you'll have a good chance.

Nothing cause I had no experience or bargaining power

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec.

-Was not Stantec when I was hired. From the interviews I have conducted, it seems like Stantec strings potential employees along when Stantec isn't even sure if they will hire for the position.

Interview Questions
    There was none. You get what you get.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Stantec in September 2012.

I applied for this position towards the beginning of August. I received a voicemail in mid-September from an HR rep asking me if I was available for a phone interview on that day and that it was the last day they were interviewing. The call came at noon and I didn't have a chance to check it till I was out of work from my current job. I called back that night and left a message anyways. The following week they returned my call and booked me for a phone interview.

Phone interview last an hour which I felt was unusually long for a phone interview. The interview went well. The questions all had to do with explaining, in detail, what some of my job responsibilities were, how fluent I was in certain computer skills and my length of experience with different processes.

At the end of the interview I was asked to come in for an in-office interview. However, I was informed that the in-office interview would last 2 hours minimum. 1 hour for the interview and 1 hour for a writing prompt. Having heard this I felt a little like I was in school. I'm usually asked to submit writing samples or given something at home. It seemed very inconvenient to have to take off so much time from my current job to complete a writing prompt. Considering my phone interview was with the person who would be my direct supervisor, I was unsure of what the 1 hour in person interview would consist of. I had a feeling that they gave the time quote since there would be a lot of waiting around at the time of interview.

The very next morning an HR rep called to cancel the interview b/c of travel issues for the hiring manager. They told me to keep the first week of October open. I did. No one responded to my check ins during the first week of the month until that Friday. Again, asking me last minute for the in-person interview. They asked if I was available Monday or Tuesday the following week, which I was not. I kindly decline the in-person interview because I already felt so jerked around that I didn't feel the company was one that I'd want to work for.

I find the hiring process was ill-planned and drawn out. This position has been online for several months, yet I was pushed into scheduling last minute interviews because of their poor planning. The HR department, based in NJ, was not professional in the least. The phones were always down and my inability to get through to a member of their team may have appeared as procrastination on my part.

If just speaking with the company about a position is this disorganized, I cannot imagine the horror that is the actual job.

Interview Questions
    • They try to gauge your fit for the position by having you rate your fluency with a program/process. Do your research to find out what the emphasis responsibilities of the role are before you tell them your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question