Staples Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Staples.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by corporate recruiter. The interview went fine and she was very professional. I was contacted about one week later by the hiring manager setting up a phone interview. I was prepared and ready. I had the experience, acumen and drive I knew they were looking for and I felt confident this would go well. Guess what? it went terrible! From the start I got the impression the hiring manager was "checking" the box with his questions. I tried several times to get him to laugh or offer his vision for this position and the only answers I got were "cool" and "o.k". I also got the feeling I knew more about how to do this job than him. I believe he had made up his mind way before our call and it turned out to be 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. He told me at the end of our call that he was in no rush to fill this opening and he was taking his time to make sure the candidate fits with the current team. Those words was the nail in my coffin LOL! I sent the standard thank you email to him and after about a week with nothing not even a "buzz off" I reached out to the recruiter (who reached out to him I'm sure) for feedback and was sent the standard "your skills don't match what we want...blah blah blah".

Interview Questions
  • Was not asked one difficult question. Was not asked to discuss sales strategy or how to go about reaching decision makers or how to turn customers into power sponsors. I got scripted questions with no feedback from the hiring manager. His mind was made up prior to the interview.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Account Manager Interview

I contacted a recruiter after I felt the position fit what I was looking for. After that I had a phone interview with a District Sales Manager, then spoke with two different account managers. Had an informal interview with a Regional Manager and from there another District Sales Manager. As of now I am still waiting on hearing an offer which should be made relatively soon. We will see.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario based questions. What I would do in a certain situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples.

1 Phone
    1 with Direct Manager
    1 with Store Manager
    Another Phone interview
    Total process was very long, and I was left waiting a lot of time wondering what was going on. Interview questions were all pretty standard and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever prospected for new business, and not just with current customers. Explain.   Answer Question
    No negoitiaion phase.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Was contacted by recruiter and did basic review of past experience and what I'm looking for. I was then turned over to the head recruiter who also asked similar questions and then sent me on to the DM. DM in person interview was "situational" When did you ever...What happened when you had a conflict....etc... not brain surgery. Felt good and closed for the job in which I was told I was a good candidate. Two weeks pass and I called the DM at which time she asked me to do a ride a long. I also did this and it went fine. Again felt good. I thought they had moved on when over two weeks later they decided to make me an offer. The whole process took over six weeks.

The main reason I declined was due to the job itself. It did not appear to be well organized and a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. Also, you rely a lot on people in the store who could make or break your business. I'm not willing to allow someone else to control my income. The offer was totally inflexible. No negotiating room at all! The final straw when I knew to decline was when the recruiter put a short deadline on the offer when I asked for more time. Not cool! I'm a professional making career decisions. Dodged a bullet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Staples in September 2010.

Not sure because the district manager is no longer there.

short

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples in January 2011.

At first the process moves along pretty quick; then it halts and all communication stops. They never call you back to confirm whether you got the job; they want you to call them to determine your level of interest in the position. The people especially management have a retail management background.

Interview Questions
    Not really; they have a set base salary, before I offered to me with the sales manager stated the salary I expected. I recommended you use this process.

Account Manager Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Staples in July 2010.

Phone interview was good. Very nice person who interviewed me. Then to the Sales Manager who I had a long informal interview with. He was really nice and informative on the comp plans and what is expected.

Interview Questions
    Not able to neg kind of is what it is.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!