Staples Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.9

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I went through a phone interview first, which lasted 20 to 30 minutes. After the phone interview I was invited to stop by the corporate office and interview with human resources. Once Human Resorces was satisfied I was the scheduled to interview with management. My manager was the one who offered me my position. The process took 2 weeks.

Negotiation

There is very little negotiation when I was hired.Staples offered me a base and then explained that if I sold more I could reach my financial goal.

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by corporate recruiter. The interview went fine and she was very professional. I was contacted about one week later by the hiring manager setting up a phone interview. I was prepared and ready. I had the experience, acumen and drive I knew they were looking for and I felt confident this would go well. Guess what? it went terrible! From the start I got the impression the hiring manager was "checking" the box with his questions. I tried several times to get him to laugh or offer his vision for this position and the only answers I got were "cool" and "o.k". I also got the feeling I knew more about how to do this job than him. I believe he had made up his mind way before our call and it turned out to be 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. He told me at the end of our call that he was in no rush to fill this opening and he was taking his time to make sure the candidate fits with the current team. Those words was the nail in my coffin LOL! I sent the standard thank you email to him and after about a week with nothing not even a "buzz off" I reached out to the recruiter (who reached out to him I'm sure) for feedback and was sent the standard "your skills don't match what we want...blah blah blah".

Interview Questions

• Was not asked one difficult question. Was not asked to discuss sales strategy or how to go about reaching decision makers or how to turn customers into power sponsors. I got scripted questions with no feedback from the hiring manager. His mind was made up prior to the interview.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Interview

I contacted a recruiter after I felt the position fit what I was looking for. After that I had a phone interview with a District Sales Manager, then spoke with two different account managers. Had an informal interview with a Regional Manager and from there another District Sales Manager. As of now I am still waiting on hearing an offer which should be made relatively soon. We will see.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions. What I would do in a certain situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Staples (Maitland, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

got an email from recruiter, called, then got a call from a recruiting manager who asks questions and based on your answers will refer you for an interview. Interview is with two managers who both ask you questions on work experience, sales skills, job roles, etcetera.

Interview Questions

• sales experience, time management skills, and organizational skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Staples (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 Phone 1 with Direct Manager 1 with Store Manager Another Phone interview Total process was very long, and I was left waiting a lot of time wondering what was going on. Interview questions were all pretty standard and easy.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever prospected for new business, and not just with current customers. Explain.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negoitiaion phase.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter and did basic review of past experience and what I'm looking for. I was then turned over to the head recruiter who also asked similar questions and then sent me on to the DM. DM in person interview was "situational" When did you ever...What happened when you had a conflict....etc... not brain surgery. Felt good and closed for the job in which I was told I was a good candidate. Two weeks pass and I called the DM at which time she asked me to do a ride a long. I also did this and it went fine. Again felt good. I thought they had moved on when over two weeks later they decided to make me an offer. The whole process took over six weeks.

The main reason I declined was due to the job itself. It did not appear to be well organized and a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. Also, you rely a lot on people in the store who could make or break your business. I'm not willing to allow someone else to control my income. The offer was totally inflexible. No negotiating room at all! The final straw when I knew to decline was when the recruiter put a short deadline on the offer when I asked for more time. Not cool! I'm a professional making career decisions. Dodged a bullet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Staples (Stamford, CT) in September 2010.

Interview

Not sure because the district manager is no longer there.

Negotiation

short

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Staples in January 2011.

Interview

At first the process moves along pretty quick; then it halts and all communication stops. They never call you back to confirm whether you got the job; they want you to call them to determine your level of interest in the position. The people especially management have a retail management background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not really; they have a set base salary, before I offered to me with the sales manager stated the salary I expected. I recommended you use this process.

Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Staples in July 2010.

Interview

Phone interview was good. Very nice person who interviewed me. Then to the Sales Manager who I had a long informal interview with. He was really nice and informative on the comp plans and what is expected.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to neg kind of is what it is.