Staples

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – 1 Phone
1 with Direct Manager
1 with Store Manager
Another Phone interview
Total process was very long, and I was left waiting a lot of time wondering what was going on. Interview questions were all pretty standard and easy.

Interview Question – Have you ever prospected for new business, and not just with current customers. Explain.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negoitiaion phase.

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – Was contacted by recruiter and did basic review of past experience and what I'm looking for. I was then turned over to the head recruiter who also asked similar questions and then sent me on to the DM. DM in person interview was "situational" When did you ever...What happened when you had a conflict....etc... not brain surgery. Felt good and closed for the job in which I was told I was a good candidate. Two weeks pass and I called the DM at which time she asked me to do a ride a long. I also did this and it went fine. Again felt good. I thought they had moved on when over two weeks later they decided to make me an offer. The whole process took over six weeks.

Reason for Declining – The main reason I declined was due to the job itself. It did not appear to be well organized and a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. Also, you rely a lot on people in the store who could make or break your business. I'm not willing to allow someone else to control my income. The offer was totally inflexible. No negotiating room at all! The final straw when I knew to decline was when the recruiter put a short deadline on the offer when I asked for more time. Not cool! I'm a professional making career decisions. Dodged a bullet.

Stamford, CT

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Staples in September 2010.

Interview Details – Not sure because the district manager is no longer there.

Negotiation Details – short

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples in January 2011.

Interview Details – At first the process moves along pretty quick; then it halts and all communication stops. They never call you back to confirm whether you got the job; they want you to call them to determine your level of interest in the position. The people especially management have a retail management background.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not really; they have a set base salary, before I offered to me with the sales manager stated the salary I expected. I recommended you use this process.

Account Manager

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Staples in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was good. Very nice person who interviewed me. Then to the Sales Manager who I had a long informal interview with. He was really nice and informative on the comp plans and what is expected.

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult customer???   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to neg kind of is what it is.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees and interview candidates.