Staples Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.6

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Probably the worst interviewing experience in the IT industry. It took over 3 months of setting up interviews with different teams and individuals, on the phone and in person. The internal recruiter is nice however the requirements and needs for the position were not articulated and coordinated internally and with the recruiter. Majority of executives were late or cancelled at the last minute showing complete disrespect for the candidate and candidate's time. Those were very hard to reschedule. One of the executives who participated in the interview told that he is not sure why this interview even takes place. It was hard to keep interest in the role knowing it would have such challenges from the get go. I know Staples is considered a company with good culture but it would not be obvious to the person based on the interviewing experience within IT department.

Interview Questions

• Majority of questions were asked about previous experience and skill set need to fulfil the role.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I heard about the job via distant connection who worked in the department. She hooked me up via email with the Hiring Manager. After a brief phone screen, he requested I formally apply on their website... all pretty standard. And then the clearly outsourced HR got involved. What a horror show.

The first non-English speaking person I spoke with seemed professional though hard to understand and only called to screen me again. She then asked if I preferred contact via phone or email. I choose email and proceeded to wait days to here about the scheduling of my interview as promised.

Finally another non-English speaking person called me and did not understand why I asked him about the email I was supposed to get. But wanting the interview, I worked with him best I could to give him my availability for the following few weeks and asked him to please send further updates via email, at this point that was mostly so I would be able to clearly understand him.

Over the next week he continued to call me... at some point in this process I had given up trying to get him to understand I wanted only emails no phone calls. But then he would get angry with me for not being available on the one day a week I had previously told him I had child obligations! Eventually I made arrangements for coverage for my child and agreed to go since he could not offer me any other alternatives.

The interview itself: I met with NINE people, from the girl would current held the job, to the VP of the department which I thought was super overkill, three managers in the department one by one, two panels of co-worker level folks, and finally the Hiring Manager. The lasting impressions I got was the middle management folks I met were all new, the VP was jaded and questioned why I thought Staples was a stable place to work, and the Hiring Manager had made his decision to go with someone else before ever meeting with me. That could have been because the Outsourced third-world country HR service they use took weeks to get me in the door. I wish they had not wasted hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• The standard stuff... like why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA).

Interview

WORST PROCESS ever, their inside recruiter do not know how to schedule. no one seems to be on the same page and extremely disorganized, i declined after going back and forth for a week because if the company is like that i 10% am glad i do not work there

Senior Analyst, Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

I had two in-person interviews - I felt the first was very welcoming and I learned a lot about the work environment and the general duties and expectations of the position. Although I was no longer being considered for the original position, I was invited back for a second interview to see if there was a contract role I could potentially fill. I arrived on-time and the interviewer was 15 minutes late and apparently didn't realize that I needed to be escorted to his office. The interviewer had an meeting scheduled soon after I reached their office, so we chatted for a few minutes about some of the work the data science team was working on recently and then worked through a problem on a whiteboard. Afterwards, with no time left to discuss my potential role I was told to email the interviewer to schedule a return to meet some of the rest of the team. Needless to say, my email was never returned.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview process was attempting to convince them that I found the work that they were doing interesting since my background is not in business.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA).

Interview

First phone interview with HR, second with hiring manager. Hired after the second interview. Both were fit interviews, first one was more general and second was specific to the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated on time -- I wanted to keep as much time as possible to explore other options.

Senior Financial Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Took 3 weeks.
    HR phone round - formailty

In-person rounds with 2 Sr. Manager, and 2 Directors

Mostly behavioral, and some typical finance questions thrown in.

My Advice: Exemplify your work and if they like your earlier work, that shall prove you can add value immediately and they would like you more

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult.

Some behavioral questions were tricky, since one director played a rapid-fire question round. Asked almost 25 different questions in 40 mins.

Looking back at your career, what is the one thing you most regret.

Answer Question

Confidential

Global Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via for a phone screening earlier in the summer by a corporate recruiter. After exchanging a few emails, we scheduled a phone interview. First of all, the recruiter called me on my cell phone after I had specifically asked her to call me on my landline, which I knew would not run the risk of dropping the call or getting bad service. Naturally, she calls me on my cell. After a few minutes, she tells me that she's having trouble hearing me and asks if she can call me on a different number, and says she never got my email about my landline. Nevertheless, I apologized and agreed. After the interview picks up again, she was extremely rude and dismissive of every answer I gave. On multiple occasions, she even attempted to cut me off in the middle of an answer. The questions were easy and pretty basic, as long as you do research on Staples, read over the job description, and show enthusiasm for joining their team. Very disappointing. I consider myself great with phone interviews, but never talked to anyone so unpleasant. This is your JOB! At least show some enthusiasm towards meeting a potential candidate. Didn't hear back until over a month later, telling me that they had gone with someone else.

Interview Questions

• None. Brush up on the industry standard phone interview questions and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA).

Interview

I applied for the position online and received an email a little less than a week later requesting a phone screen. It was relatively quick, they mostly asked about my background, if I was willing to relocate, and what interested me about the position.

The following week I received another email inviting me to a phone interview with the direct hiring manager. This interviewed lasted about 45 minutes. The interviewer asked similar questions about my background, time management skills and my ability to multitask.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. They mainly asked about your background.   Answer Question

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position and was contacted by recruitor. We set up a phone interview and talked about my background. After phone interview i was brought in for panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest obstacle and how did you overcome?   Answer Question
    • What do you use in your current position that you would be able to apply to this position   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview with Recruiter and then In Person interview with Hiring Manager. The in person interview focused around the summer internship and if it was something that interested me. Other questions in the interview were primarily behavioral in nature.

Interview Questions

• Overall, behavioral questions regarding past experiences and current experiences at college.   Answer Question