Staples Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.7

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples Canada in October 2009.

Interview

I had two interviews, the first with the senior cashier and then my second was with the store manager

Interview Questions

• What are your goals while working for the company   1 Answer

Copy Centre Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Staples Canada in May 2015.

Interview

I walked in with my school uniform, and i came across an employee with the manager, and the manager right off the bat asked me if i would like to work there. It was a 1/100 chance.. i was very lucky. So i got called into an interview about 9 days later. Today i had my first interview and i was very smoothly. The manager is very easy going, id very much like to work there.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples Canada.

Interview

Extensive. They have numerous interviews (3) for every person hired in the Home Office or the stores. They firmly believe past behaviour is the prime indicator to future. They use profiling excessively and want you to explain when you were required to challenge a previous employer but in actual fact they don't want you to challenge management after you are hired. They expect an excess amount of invested time into the interview process compared to the salary when hired.

Interview Questions

• A lot of behaviour questions with an extreme focus on personality profile answers.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Staples Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Interview process began in December with a phone screen with HR followed by a in-person interview with the hiring manager. The onsite interview went very well and the hiring manager asked job related questions that were relevant to the position. I received great feedback from HR and was called back to meet with the VP for the last step. After traveling from another city (10 hrs return), I met with the VP whose interview was completely irrelevant and quite frankly, outdated in terms of asking questions to determine my fit in the company and what I could bring to the role. He asked several brain teaser and personality questions that were irrelevant and not the norm for a competent interview. That being said, he did not seem to have any experience in terms of hiring nor did he ask how my experience would contribute to the position and the company as a whole. It was only after following up with HR that I was informed they would not pursue me further with no concrete reasoning or valid explanation. After reading several employee reviews about Staples Canada, it appears as though I am not the only one who experienced a negative interview process. Lastly, the salary being offered is well below market rate with little to no room for negotiation.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Staples Canada in February 2015.

Interview

After being contacted by my school's co-op department, a manager quickly scheduled interview, actual interview went smoothly and easily. Not much to say apart from the manager being generally happy to meet, pleased with my resume, and upbeat. After exchanging technical details, I was given the placement on the spot, starting the next week.

Copy Centre Representative Interview

Interview

Drop in resume within store and keep coming back for a response till you get one. Usually call you in for an interview and really easy and basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve the customers problem and upsell a customer at the same time?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples Canada.

Interview

The hiring process started with a telephone interview. Here the recruiter reviewed all the facts mentioned in the resume. Towards the end of this interview, I was promised a feedback within 5 working days. I waited for 5 days and after a gentle reminder, I was informed about the 1:1 interview. This was arranged within 3 days and what was planned as one interview turned out to be two on the same day. Both the interviews were very objective and relevant to the position advertised. The interviewers were very courteous and professional.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relevant to the position applied for and were not difficult or unexpected.Having said that, answering these questions truthfully was the key to success as the answers provided insight about the candidates abilities.   1 Answer

Technology Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Staples Canada.

Interview

Got called first and set up an in person interview. Managers seems very enthusiastic and energetic. Great to work with and learn from some of the professional salesman in the store.

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples Canada (Mississauga, ON (Canada)).

Interview

This was a position for Staples Advantage. The question were the basic: how do you overcome challenge, how do you deal with situations your group members don't pull their weight, where do you see yourself in the future. Two managers interviewed you but they were very nice and approachable.

Found a better offer

Category Specialist: Merchandising Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples Canada in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was over skype, it lasted about 25 minutes and it was mostly questions directly related to my resume (ex. I see you studied at ______ University, can you tell me about that?). He also asked a few behavioural questions but those were also mostly directly related to the experience on my resume as well.

Interview Questions

• If you stepped into the elevator with the president of the company and had 30 seconds to ask him a question what would you ask?   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is a co-op job so there was no negotiation