Staples Canada

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.7

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples Canada in October 2009.

I had two interviews, the first with the senior cashier and then my second was with the store manager

Interview Questions
    • What are your goals while working for the company   View Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Staples Canada.

Interview process began in December with a phone screen with HR followed by a in-person interview with the hiring manager. The onsite interview went very well and the hiring manager asked job related questions that were relevant to the position. I received great feedback from HR and was called back to meet with the VP for the last step. After traveling from another city (10 hrs return), I met with the VP whose interview was completely irrelevant and quite frankly, outdated in terms of asking questions to determine my fit in the company and what I could bring to the role. He asked several brain teaser and personality questions that were irrelevant and not the norm for a competent interview. That being said, he did not seem to have any experience in terms of hiring nor did he ask how my experience would contribute to the position and the company as a whole. It was only after following up with HR that I was informed they would not pursue me further with no concrete reasoning or valid explanation. After reading several employee reviews about Staples Canada, it appears as though I am not the only one who experienced a negative interview process. Lastly, the salary being offered is well below market rate with little to no room for negotiation.

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Staples Canada in February 2015.

After being contacted by my school's co-op department, a manager quickly scheduled interview, actual interview went smoothly and easily. Not much to say apart from the manager being generally happy to meet, pleased with my resume, and upbeat. After exchanging technical details, I was given the placement on the spot, starting the next week.

Copy Centre Representative Interview

Drop in resume within store and keep coming back for a response till you get one. Usually call you in for an interview and really easy and basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve the customers problem and upsell a customer at the same time?   Answer Question

Copy and Print Centre Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples Canada.

The hiring process started with a telephone interview. Here the recruiter reviewed all the facts mentioned in the resume. Towards the end of this interview, I was promised a feedback within 5 working days. I waited for 5 days and after a gentle reminder, I was informed about the 1:1 interview. This was arranged within 3 days and what was planned as one interview turned out to be two on the same day. Both the interviews were very objective and relevant to the position advertised. The interviewers were very courteous and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were relevant to the position applied for and were not difficult or unexpected.Having said that, answering these questions truthfully was the key to success as the answers provided insight about the candidates abilities.   View Answer

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples Canada.

This was a position for Staples Advantage. The question were the basic: how do you overcome challenge, how do you deal with situations your group members don't pull their weight, where do you see yourself in the future. Two managers interviewed you but they were very nice and approachable.

Found a better offer

Technology Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Staples Canada.

Got called first and set up an in person interview. Managers seems very enthusiastic and energetic.
    Great to work with and learn from some of the professional salesman in the store.

Category Specialist: Merchandising Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples Canada in November 2014.

The interview was over skype, it lasted about 25 minutes and it was mostly questions directly related to my resume (ex. I see you studied at ______ University, can you tell me about that?). He also asked a few behavioural questions but those were also mostly directly related to the experience on my resume as well.

Interview Questions
    • If you stepped into the elevator with the president of the company and had 30 seconds to ask him a question what would you ask?   Answer Question
    This is a co-op job so there was no negotiation

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Staples Canada in September 2014.

I sent my resume with one f my friends working in staples. After a couple of days I was asked to come for the interview. The manager took my interview in the office room. He asked me to explain my good and worse experience as a customer in my life, questions as why I applied for the position, where I would see in the days to come. I was asked about 8- 10 questions. I suppose I better answered.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me to explain if there were any differences between my current job (one of the customer services) and the position applied for. I think I answered well pointing out the differences that I saw. But, from the cross questions he made I guess he was not satisfied well.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples Canada in September 2014.

1. in depth telephone Interview that lasted about 30 mins
    2. Face to face interview with Manager and director (incredibly friendly people)

I would honestly say the telephone interview was more challenging that the in-person. I met with both the director and manager for the first part of the interview but then the director had to leave. They asked great questions but not difficult. They also were very informative.

Interview Questions
    • Don't underestimate the first telephone interview. She asked a lot of great questions that required you to really show how your previous experience can benefit this role. They actually asked me to pretend someone called in about a technical issue and asked me what probing questions would I ask.   View Answer
    None.