Staples

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Corvallis, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Staples in September 2012.

Interview Details – if you want a job here make sure your ready for the brown nose. and don't let your emotions show. act like you are all gitty about the questions. and be chiil

Interview Question – do i or don't i try to work pallets   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotioation.

Denton, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples in September 2011.

Interview Details – I saw the posting online so I applied online but also brought in my resume and asked to talk to the general manager. That makes more of an impression than just walking into the store in normal clothes and asking if we're hiring. Be more professional and wear business casual attire. Once I talked to the GM he set me up with an interview with the assistant manager and once I passed that, I had another interview with the GM himself and the Customer Service Lead. My initial impression was that the job would consist of me working on computers and once a week unload the truck and stock merchandise. That basically turned in to 80% sales and maybe 20% actual computer work. If the Staples you're applying at has an Easy Tech bench behind the customer service counter, that's how it will be. There's not enough space nor demand for tech services. The experience would be much better at a larger store.

Interview Question – Have you ever really not got along with someone and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Staples can be stingy with pay and may not budge much on the offer. Don't request much more than offered because you probably won't get it.

Webster, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in August 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out online app, called to see if they were hiring (they were), then went to Staples and introduced myself and the Manager scheduled an interview with me. Interviewed with assistant manager then GM on same day. Went great, typical interview questions read from list (just google interview questions and you should be good). Everyone was super nice. Had to wait a couple of weeks for background check to clear, but called about twice a week to check up. Was eventually offered an easy tech position. Interviewing for customer service lead next week.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty in your job?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples in March 2010.

Interview Details – was called in for an interview. after the initial interview i was contacted by phone to schedule a second interview, then i was offered the job.

Interview Question – why do you want to work for this company?   View Answer

Brooklyn, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples in April 2010.

Interview Details – Well it was simple when i applied i applied many times before but never got a call back once my friend applied he got a call back i applied again and called back again.. When i got in for the interview i waited about 15 minutes extra manager came in and took me to the GM's office.. I then gave her my resume she looked it over and started to tell me what they wanted in the store and what they expected from each associate she then continued talking about the customers and how to deal with them told me more about the job asked my two questions i think one was why staples? And why am i leaving my other job.. So it was simple after the first interview she asked me if i would like to have my second interview with GM right away i said ok but GM was busy so waited the weekend called them back on tuesday they said come in wednesday went in GM told me about the job more in depth and mystery shoppers and etc. Then told me about my pay and said i was good to go if i passed my background check they would give me a call back waited about 2 days got a call asking if i would like to come in for paperwork and i said ok...

Interview Question – Why Staples?   Answer Question

Chicopee, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in February 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview was relatively quick, was given basic questions regarding things like sales tactics and other details, not very difficult.

Interview started well, it was my first traditional job interview and the managers seemed to have a good idea as to what they were doing, although a little awkward (I suppose this was my own fault). I got a call a few days later for a second interview.

Came in a day early, weather was not permitting driving or anything of that sort, so I had to interview a day early. Second interview went very well, I was called soon after and offered to take the job.

Interview Question – What was something you did in the past that over exceeded what was expected?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, I am eager to work, needed the job badly and honestly couldn't ask for anything better right now. Also, I went online and prepared before my interview, most guides said not to mention money or anything of the sort during the interview, so when the GM asked me if I had any questions regarding pay, vacation time, etc. I flat out said no.

Catonsville, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in May 2010.

Interview Details – first guy went over my resume with me and we spoke about my tech experience. second guy joined and asked if i would have any problem pushing sales, i said no and he said he'd finish interviewing in the next few days and give me a call for a second interview. I thought i had the job. they never called. i made a followup call a few days later and they said they hadnt finished interviewing but would call me. i made yet another follow up call a week or so later and they said they would call me tomorrow. they never called me back at all. not cool at all.

Interview Questions

Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in October 2009.

Interview Details – Started with caljobs. Got a phone call about an interview. Attended a group interview describing my background and who i am. (be sure to explain yourself in a way to relate to an open position). Received a second call back for a 1:1 interview. Discussed pay and hours, both too low.

Interview Question – Explain your background?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay and hours way to low

Easy Tech

Interview Details – Interveiw in my store was easy. They are so desperate for people to work I was able to get right in.

Interview Question – How well do you know computers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Can't negotiate. You get stuck at the minimum to start because staples doesnt allow the managers to negotiate.

Easy Tech

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was very straight-forward. In the initial and secondary interviews, I was in the store I applied at, and spoke with the General Manager, as well as the Assistant General Manager. They both asked basic questions about my past sales experience, and read specific questions from a typical "interview guide" type of list. They asked about experience in certain situations, and comfortability working with various types of people. It was very generic, but at the end they got more personal and lively with the interaction, which made me feel more confident with the impression I had made. I can't say for sure, but I think if they had decided not to hire at any point, they would've gone through the motion and not made any personal gestures. My third interview, with the District Manager, was at another location and was fairly informal. He seemed to be analyzing more of my personality and motivation than my work history. He asked the typical "why would you be a good fit here?" but other than that kept to simple polite conversation. He was personable and informative. I received a call back very promptly from the General Manager of the store offering me a position.

Interview Question – How comfortable are you working with different types of people?   View Answer

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!