Staples

Getting the Interview

43 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Athens, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – At first, you apply online at their online application process. It's not hard, but it is time consuming with the usual common knowledge questions.

During the process, i was not contacted at all online or by email or phone that i was an interest, so i walked into the store dressed business casual to turn in an application (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Upon doing so,it was 2 days later i got the phone call to come in for an interview.

it was the day of the interview and when i arrived, i stood for 30 minutes before being told that they forgot that i had an interview that day and to come back 2 days later. so, 2 days later i come in and they forgot AGAIN that I was to be interviewed, so they scheduled me back the next day. When the next day came, i finally was interviewed, and they were really friendly to greet me, and discussed to me about my experiences. When all was said and done, i was in a black shirt 2 weeks later (after i quit my old job). The management told me "I had the skills and requirements to be a "black shirt" and that they were happy to have me on the team! 2 weeks went by and they stuck me on the register...it's been 2 years and now i'm doing office supplies. all because the management said "I didn't see the X factor in you" even though i have all this experience with technology, they didn't even give me a chance.

Now they make me do tons of work and they keep telling me "you'll be in tech soon". That's what they say, yet i've overheard, and been cussed out by management stating "you'll never be in tech, you have no chance at all". So they're beating a dead tree with that one.

Interview Question – for me, it was what pay was i looking to receive. I don't like asking for a pay because to me, it makes me feel greedy and I'd rather negotiate pays with management rather than name my price. Although, afterwords, now that i've worked here for 2 years, i must give you all 1 piece of advice:

NEVER SELL YOURSELF SHORT!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – pretty much told me i had the job, and then i was satisfied until 2 weeks passed and i was pretty much booted out of tech with no opportunity.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in July 2013.

Interview Details – Walk in resume always helps... I was hired and interviewed in the same day, given general question to qualify my work filed and expertise

Interview Question – terminology, my reply was that my other work space used other standards, I'm glad to get the chance and opportunity to learn while furthering my time and education with staples.   Answer Question

Naples, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in July 2012.

Interview Details – My first interview became awkward from the first moment. He asked if we could sit in the chairs on display and conduct the interview. He then explained the job briefly and went on to tell of "his success" =LAME 2nd interview went GREAT, the guy was up beat, honest about what seemed to be expected.

Interview Question – I couldn't say per say but the overall atmosphere of the first interview conducted was NOT professional.   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – The interview is in two stages beginning with the GM and AM and then the lead associate of the department in which you're applying for. The first interview is done on the floor (at least this location), in the office furniture area. Your second interview follows either the next day or shortly thereafter. If both interviews fall in your favor you start within the following week.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions asked, they pretty much ask questions in the field you are applying for, and simple about you questions   Answer Question

Staples Corner, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples in October 2012.

Interview Details – Be ready to work here for a long time, and be able to work EVERYDAY. They don't want people looking for temporary jobs. They want talkative, respectful people who can carry a conversation, who feels comfortable talking to anyone about anything.

Interview Question – What prior experience do you have in sales?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Would you be willing to come in as soon as possible to start training?

Very Easy Interview

Albany, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Staples in November 2010.

Interview Details – Two interviews and tech certification test. Apply online with a customer service quiz

Interview Question – Normal interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate. Given minimum with promise of growth

EasyTech Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – Process was simple, a quick phone call and a 1-1 interview.

Interview Question – Just some basic questions about myself and my plans.   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples in March 2013.

Interview Details – Call to ask if your local store is currently hiring and if they are apply online. Call back within a week and ask if you can speak with the hiring manager, they will most likely give you an interview. You will first interview with an assistant manager and then the general manager. Dress business casual (as nice as you can without a suit).
There was no drug test when I interviewed but this may vary from store to store.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of questions about your previous work experience and how you handle situations such as customer complaints and what you would do if you do not know the answer to a question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Part time wages for associates start around $7-$8 depending on experience. There is not much room for negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – Upon completion of the application, the first contact occurred about 1 week with a phone call. The first interview was a phone interview followed by an invitation to come in to take a very short test. Many of the questions in the test are from the A+ certification but it is only ~20 questions. The majority of the questions are about what is malware/viruses rather than hardware questions. In my opinion, the type of questions are not sufficient for the position. When I passed this test, I was invited the next day to come in for a set of interviews. I was interviewed by 3 managers/supervisors with each interview lasting ~30 minutes. The questions all revolve around the idea of selling a larger market basket (the more items sold at the same time, the larger the market basket). What they really care about is that you sell warranties/replacement plans for anything that plugs into the wall for power.

Interview Question – I was surprised that for a technical position, they only cared about asking questions regarding ways of selling replacement plans for electronics. As long as you can show that you will remember to ask each employee if they want to buy an extended warranty, the interview will go smoothly.   Answer Question

Presque Isle, ME

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was straightforward, and for me concentrated on my ITT experience as well as an overview of my retail experience. i was asked about specific situations I dealt with, asked to give examples, describe my daily routine, what I brought to the company, etc.

Interview Question – Do you feel that your current school work load would interfere with your ability to bring quality service to our customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me what they would pay me(7.75) and did not give me an option to negotiate. I will say within 2 months working there I did get a raise to 8.05 an hour.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Staples