Staples

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

General Manager Interview

I had two interviews, one with a tenured general manager and one with the district manager. Now I believe they have a phone screening with a regional recruiter. After I was hired I was assigned to a training store and a mentor general manager where I completed a 10 week training curriculum.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had everything planned and your day did not go according to plan? What did you do? How did you prioritize? What was the outcome? How did you keep everything straight?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples.

The initial interview was initiated at the request of another Staples General Manager whom I had previously worked with at another Company. After the application was filled out there was a first phone interview with Regional HR who asked all the general questions about salary, job location, ability to transfer, why I was leaving other company, ability to work more hours for new store opening etc. and the interview was ended.Two days later I got a call from the acting DM for a second interview. This also was also a pretty basic interview about what I had done and my level of knowledge and customer service skills. As this DM was leaving for a new assignment there was yet another interview with the new DM a week later. This DM was so new to the company that the conversation focused mainly on the fact that he wanted me due to my experience and that we would have to talk and negotiate pay which we did. I did not get what I asked for but somewhere in the middle of my request.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult interview questions because the company I was coming from was so similar. I was coming from a competing company (Office Depot) and the store assignment was only 5 miles from my home. I also was trying to adopt a child and the benefits were SIGNIFICANTLY better at Staples. Based on the close proximity of stores the DM already knew how well my store ran.   View Answer
    The negotiation process was made easier because the Hiring DM had a previous working relationship with his Supervisor (Regional Manager) and the DM was newly hired also. So when the offer came in at the low end and I asked for more the DM had some bargaining power and spoke on my behalf.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples in June 2014.

I met one of the regional managers at a job fair who was interested in having me apply to be a General Manager of one of their locations. A few days later, I had an telephone interview with the recruiter, followed by an in-person interview with the District Manager and finally a telephone interview with the HR Director.

Interview Questions
    • Absolutely no odd or unusual questions. Majority involved personal work experience and background. The only question that might have stood out dealt with my ability to multitask my team in order to provide quick and quality results for customers at peak hours.   View Answer

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples.

The usual " tell me about a time you.....". First was a phone interview then the DM after that the HRM and last the RVP. The usual " tell me about a time you.....". First was a phone interview then the DM after that the HRM and last the RVP.

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Staples.

Contact a local GM, ask them how they like their job and ask questions about the DM, visit more than one store and pick up buzzword,s best way to do this is to try to get the GM to sale you a Computer, or Tablet

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you a lot of questions about bad experiences and issues you have encountered that look poorly upon you- What they want to know is how you overcome hardships and these issues - " Answer the question bluntly, avoid trying to spin it in your favor fess up to the mess up and explain how you address the problem moving forward   Answer Question
    No negotiation- Letter from HR with an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Staples in January 2014.

When I started it was an easy job. We focused on driving incremental sales and profit. As of late it seems we are in panic mode and everything needs immediate improvement. This stressful work environment is the reason I am starting to look elsewhere. I still did enjoy working at staples but doesn't look like it has much a future

not to much wiggle room

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples in June 2013.

4 step process. First contacted by a HR Recruiter. Short, 30 minute phone interview. Two days later I get a call from the DM in the area. Appointment set for the following week. Got a call from the Hiring HR Manager. She asked basic behavior, and situational questions. Interview was fairly detailed. Met with DM for hour long interview. Basic behavior questions. Recommend me forward to the RVP for an interview. RVP interview was less than an hour. He asked basic interview questions and gave his viewpoint of the "state of the company".

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to have a difficult conversation with a subordinate.   Answer Question

Salary is low for the work load. No growth potential.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Staples.

You will be contacted by the recruiting team for an interview, then an interview with the DM, then an interview with the RVP(she's really the only one who has any common sense) then HR will call u with an offer and truly u can negotiate about 1500 more than they offer. That's it.

Interview Questions
    • Why Staples? What makes you a leader? What is the toughest decision you have ever had to make?   Answer Question
    It was ridiculous. I have several years GM exp. and they said the max out for LCOM is 55,000 because of the budgeted payroll. They promised a larger store and here we are 4 years later at the same store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples in December 2011.

Phone interview with one of the recruiters. The recruiter was timely in calling, was very professional, and I felt comfortable with the process.

The recruiter was following a standard script. I was asked to review my resume/work history. Why I left my last employer, how many locations I covered, volume, etc.

I was ask what one thing I'm I most proud of in my retail career.

I was told what locations were open and where I what position I might be consider for. I was ask to go online and fill out the management application. Once that was completed, I was sent a really quick assessment to complete.

Interview Questions
    • What is the one thing I am most proud of in my retail career?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Staples in October 2010.

You're placed in a very casual environment , usually with the District Manager and the Human Resource Generalist .They review your resume and ask about your experiences .

Interview Questions
    • As a G.M. what do you see as your biggest area of challenge ? or where you could use more developement ?   Answer Question
    You discuss salary and of course it has to be approved , but from my experience they come through .