Staples General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Staples in February 2010.

Most General Managers are internal promotions within the company. But the interview process is very simple. If you speak about customer service and being resulted oriented then you should be ok.

Everything

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples in June 2014.

I met one of the regional managers at a job fair who was interested in having me apply to be a General Manager of one of their locations. A few days later, I had an telephone interview with the recruiter, followed by an in-person interview with the District Manager and finally a telephone interview with the HR Director.

Interview Questions
    • Absolutely no odd or unusual questions. Majority involved personal work experience and background. The only question that might have stood out dealt with my ability to multitask my team in order to provide quick and quality results for customers at peak hours.   View Answer

General Manager Interview

I had two interviews, one with a tenured general manager and one with the district manager. Now I believe they have a phone screening with a regional recruiter. After I was hired I was assigned to a training store and a mentor general manager where I completed a 10 week training curriculum.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had everything planned and your day did not go according to plan? What did you do? How did you prioritize? What was the outcome? How did you keep everything straight?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

The initial interview was initiated at the request of another Staples General Manager whom I had previously worked with at another Company. After the application was filled out there was a first phone interview with Regional HR who asked all the general questions about salary, job location, ability to transfer, why I was leaving other company, ability to work more hours for new store opening etc. and the interview was ended.Two days later I got a call from the acting DM for a second interview. This also was also a pretty basic interview about what I had done and my level of knowledge and customer service skills. As this DM was leaving for a new assignment there was yet another interview with the new DM a week later. This DM was so new to the company that the conversation focused mainly on the fact that he wanted me due to my experience and that we would have to talk and negotiate pay which we did. I did not get what I asked for but somewhere in the middle of my request.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult interview questions because the company I was coming from was so similar. I was coming from a competing company (Office Depot) and the store assignment was only 5 miles from my home. I also was trying to adopt a child and the benefits were SIGNIFICANTLY better at Staples. Based on the close proximity of stores the DM already knew how well my store ran.   View Answer
    The negotiation process was made easier because the Hiring DM had a previous working relationship with his Supervisor (Regional Manager) and the DM was newly hired also. So when the offer came in at the low end and I asked for more the DM had some bargaining power and spoke on my behalf.

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples.

The usual " tell me about a time you.....". First was a phone interview then the DM after that the HRM and last the RVP. The usual " tell me about a time you.....". First was a phone interview then the DM after that the HRM and last the RVP.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Staples in January 2010.

Initial contact - HR recruiter set up interview with a GM who filled in for then vacationing DM.
    2nd interview with DM

Interview Questions
    • Was not really any difficult or unexpected questions. How do I motivate employees, how do I drive customer service, etc.   Answer Question
    First offer was above my current job at that time. Made a counter offer based on increased amount of work hours and travel expenses and got about half the difference.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Staples in January 2014.

When I started it was an easy job. We focused on driving incremental sales and profit. As of late it seems we are in panic mode and everything needs immediate improvement. This stressful work environment is the reason I am starting to look elsewhere. I still did enjoy working at staples but doesn't look like it has much a future

not to much wiggle room

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in January 2010.

Interview process will depend on who does the interview. The DM met with me in a coffee shop and it was a very casual interview. He asked about prior job experience, what I liked about my prior jobs, etc. He asked what I felt I could bring to Staples, or how I could contribute. I also interviewed over the phone with the RM, and he was very personable as well. The most difficult process, in my opinion was the online "test" you have to take when filling out the job application. (I am not a good test taker, I always overthink the questions!)

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, there were no difficult or unexpected questions during the interview process.   Answer Question
    I asked for $5,000 more than I was offered, and he came back with an additional $2000. I found out later I could have asked for an additional week of vacation and would have most likely gotten it.

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Staples.

Contact a local GM, ask them how they like their job and ask questions about the DM, visit more than one store and pick up buzzword,s best way to do this is to try to get the GM to sale you a Computer, or Tablet

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you a lot of questions about bad experiences and issues you have encountered that look poorly upon you- What they want to know is how you overcome hardships and these issues - " Answer the question bluntly, avoid trying to spin it in your favor fess up to the mess up and explain how you address the problem moving forward   Answer Question
    No negotiation- Letter from HR with an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples in May 2009.

First interview with district manager, second was phone interview with hr manager. Lastly interviewed with regional Vice President. Took roughly two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What do I feel are the top qualities of a gm to drive business success as well as respect and buy in from employees?   Answer Question
    I did negotiate due to the distance from where I lived. Company flexible with hiring rate. Just make sure that you prove your value and pay will never be an issue.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!