Staples

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Staples in December 2014.

Just had a interview a couple of days ago with the GM. I've never been good at interviews so I was nervous at first I tend to get tongue tied when answering questions but the GM made it easy he was super cool and laid back but also stated what it was he was looking for and what's expected. I found him easy to talk too I just wish all interviews was just as easy or at least just as relaxed

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that's non work-related ?   View Answer

Product Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Staples.

First step was an informal interview through a employee referral, then a phone interview with HR. Was asked to come back for another round of interviews with 3 different people. Met with someone in the same position as the one I was applying for, my would be manager and then a director.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me questions about being a buyer - which wasn't the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

Applied for software engineer role for Staples Sparx through Indeed. In the posting it said they used Scala, Clojure, Ruby, Python, and Java. I knew Python and Java well enough and figured I could learn the others on the job, if necessary. They scheduled a phone interview with recruiter based in NC. <10 minutes, simple questions about experience with programming languages, job experience, and compensation.

Second interview with software engineer in San Mateo who worked for Sparx (the innovation lab for Staples). 30 minute phone interview. Questions were: Who are you, what do you want to do, describe some projects you've worked on and the technical challenges you've faced, what was your previous job like and what did you do, why Staples, why Sparx, explain dynamic vs static programming languages and why you use one over the other and which do you prefer (e.g. int/double/float/char/etc in C vs $ in PHP), what do I know about functional programming languages and what do I want to know about them, what do you know about Clojure, and lastly "any questions for me?"

Interview went fine and got an email with a coding challenge. Sparx uses Clojure very heavily and the engineer said so during the interview. I had 0 experience with their technology stack. We were both upfront about it but they still sent me a coding challenge, in Clojure, that was extensive enough to where I'd have to learn a lot of Clojure to get it done. I read a little and realized it was a waste of my time. They were going to hire someone who had job experience with Clojure/Scala/Ruby. I told them I wasn't going to do the challenge and that's where it ended. (It was a simple challenge about two lists of spreadsheet data and finding the differences between them while using a JSON API)

Tech and Mobility Supervisosr Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples.

They called me in for and interview and told me to meet someone in the furniture department. A female manager with a Mohawk haircut came out with a binder and proceeded to read interview questions from what seemed like a corporate interview handbook.

Interview Questions
    • She asked me to explain time I dealt with trying to sell a product or service to a potential customer who did not wish to purchase.   View Answer

Environment at store was a bunch of Highschool age kids. One other manager was having a loud coaching session with one of them on the sales floor.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

WORST PROCESS ever, their inside recruiter do not know how to schedule. no one seems to be on the same page and extremely disorganized, i declined after going back and forth for a week because if the company is like that i 10% am glad i do not work there

Intern Interview

got interviewed in the office and was told that if i show effort and work as hard as possible and show my customer service skills that i would be hired in 2 months. i worked for an extra month and still not official staples job.

Inside Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples in November 2014.

My experience interviewing is very similar to the person from Dallas TX I applied online with Indeed. I was contacted a few weeks later by their corporate recruiter. The interview was good and she was professional and by the "book". She advised me she would refer me on with the reporting manager. I was contacted about one week later and we had a phone interview. I thought she wanted to have a face to face but she was interested in a webinar. It turned out to be a phone interview due to her schedule. I was prepared and ready. I have the experience. At the end of the call she told me she would refer me on for a 3rd interview. I then had a 3rd interview 2 days later. It also went well. 2 days later I get the standard thanks but no thanks interview. I don't know why employers waste our time. If they are merely looking to add a few more to the pool of candidates ( usually they have someone) What losers & lack of consideration for people!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Staples in November 2014.

I met with the GM in my first interview and met with the operations manager during the second interview. Not a lot of hard questions. My resume and job openings sealed the deal for me. Both guys were really relaxed so that helped me stay calm. After the second interview I got an email to file a background check. Once that passed I was told to come in for training. I never ended up being trained and was never told my wage among other things so I left before I got in too deep.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, the hardest question I was asked was "tell me a little bit about yourself."   Answer Question
    I was not told my wage, hours of position. I quit after being mistreated my first day. Dysfunctional store.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

Applied through a website called "learn up" had 3 person interview, very standard questions- what are your strengths, weaknesses. Situational question "give an example of giving excellent customer service", etc. hired for back to school rush.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples.

First phone interview with HR, second with hiring manager. Hired after the second interview. Both were fit interviews, first one was more general and second was specific to the position.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on time -- I wanted to keep as much time as possible to explore other options.