Staples

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.3

Business Development Associate Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Staples in June 2010.

Long process consisted of initial phone interview with HR. Gave info about position and asked questions about resume. 2nd interview with hiring manager over the phone. A lot of questions about experiences, "Give me a time when...." 3rd interview with same hiring manager in person. She finished the question set that she started over the phone. This interview was basically to meet me. Got a call back to work on a presentation and a date to present to hiring managers boss. Due to weather, travel plans were cancelled and I had to reschedule. I got a call back a few days later to tell me that the hiring manager had changed and the new hiring manager would probably take off where the previous one left off. Over a week later, I contacted HR to check on the status. I got a call from new hiring manager to schedule another interview with her. During the interview with this new hiring manager I find out that she wants to re-post the position, get more applicants and I will have to go through the process all over again. I am pulling out of the running. They are seriously seriously missing out on the perfect candidate because the new hiring manager "Didn't have any input during the initial process." Control freak much? I went from a running of over 50 candidates already, 3 interviews, a personality test and had been narrowed down to me and some other candidate. I am not going through that again. Additionally, the original hiring manager seemed very experienced and seemed like a good manager to work for. The impression I got from this new manager is that she is a control freak and a stickler, someone who would not make work life enjoyable. I do not want to work for that woman.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company? What do you know about the position? What is it about the position you like? Tell me about a time when you really enjoyed closing a deal. Tell me about a time when you had a difficult time closing a deal and what you did to overcome it?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Staples? If I hired you and you weren't meeting your quota, what would you do? Take me through a typical work week at your current position? Do you hunt new business or maintain business at your current position?   View Answer

Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples in April 2012.

So I never actually interviewed. I submitted an application. A recruiter called me to schedule and interview and left a number to call back. I could barely make out her name. When I called back, I was in voicemail system that told me to enter the last name, but she never left it. I called the operator and she helped me figure out who it was. I then left 3 voicemails to schedule the interview and she never contacted me back. Needless to say, I lost interest and moved on. It left a bad impression on me not only as a candidate, but as a customer.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Staples in November 2009.

This was an internal posting as I already worked for the company and I was trying to gain a better position. There was 2 different interviews. One with the manager of the dept. and then with the members of his team that I was to work with. The second interview was with three people in a board room and they all fired questions at me.

Interview Questions
    I was really not able to negotiate the salary, unfortunately.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

WORST PROCESS ever, their inside recruiter do not know how to schedule. no one seems to be on the same page and extremely disorganized, i declined after going back and forth for a week because if the company is like that i 10% am glad i do not work there

Easy Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Staples in September 2012.

if you want a job here make sure your ready for the brown nose. and don't let your emotions show. act like you are all gitty about the questions. and be chiil

no negotioation.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples in February 2011.

After submitting Application and resume you will have at 30min Phone interview. Then you will have a 1hr interview with a stores Gm. Then you will have a 2hr interview with the DM. After all of that you will have another interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    They base salary of a formula. Sell your self early and when asked what were you make add to the salary to get more in the end.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by corporate recruiter. The interview went fine and she was very professional. I was contacted about one week later by the hiring manager setting up a phone interview. I was prepared and ready. I had the experience, acumen and drive I knew they were looking for and I felt confident this would go well. Guess what? it went terrible! From the start I got the impression the hiring manager was "checking" the box with his questions. I tried several times to get him to laugh or offer his vision for this position and the only answers I got were "cool" and "o.k". I also got the feeling I knew more about how to do this job than him. I believe he had made up his mind way before our call and it turned out to be 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. He told me at the end of our call that he was in no rush to fill this opening and he was taking his time to make sure the candidate fits with the current team. Those words was the nail in my coffin LOL! I sent the standard thank you email to him and after about a week with nothing not even a "buzz off" I reached out to the recruiter (who reached out to him I'm sure) for feedback and was sent the standard "your skills don't match what we want...blah blah blah".

Interview Questions
    • Was not asked one difficult question. Was not asked to discuss sales strategy or how to go about reaching decision makers or how to turn customers into power sponsors. I got scripted questions with no feedback from the hiring manager. His mind was made up prior to the interview.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples in January 2009.

Staples has a thorough and detailed interview process. Peer and management interviews provide an overview of the candidate skills along with valuable insight to the company as a whole. Moving to a second interview provides exposure to the extended teams that will be worked with. Interviewing at Staples is a professional & detailed process.

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples in July 2013.

Applied online on career website, a few days later I was contacted to schedule a phone interview and was then asked to come in person to apply for the job. I was interviewed by two employees, one at a time and then together. They told me that the atmosphere at Staples is cutthroat and very demanding..

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to negativity in the office?
      What are your strengths & weaknesses?
      How would you handle people not getting you the resources/information you need to do your job?
      Why are you interested in working at Staples?
      Why did you apply for the Product Specialist position?

Answer Question

Director of Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Staples in April 2011.

Submitted my resume in late January to HR and received immediate response to set a phone interview. Within a week phone interview set and proceeded to have a great discussion on my backgroud and the specifics of the role. Again within two days was contacted by HR that they wished to bring me in for an all day interview with 4 VP's and the SVP over the area. After what I felt was a fabulous 6 hours at corporate, was informed the following week that there were a few additional candidates to see, but the decision would be made within 30 days and was one of the finalist. After 45 days and many back and forth emails was informed the position was being eliminated and the responsibilties were being given to 3 other individuals within the organization. A very long and frustrating experience.