Staples Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

2.3

Copy & Print Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telford, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples (Telford, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

Average interview process. Referred by career services at my school, I interviewed with the General Manager of my store and was asked typical interview questions. When asked if I had questions, we spoke about operations of the store and copy & print center in which I was interested. After about a week I was offered the job, and began training for my position shortly after.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples in May 2012.

Interview

The hiring manager asked me what is my former experience, education and career plan. The manager also asked me to explain my understanding of some of the job description. The manager explained the scope of work for this particular role, the job responsibility, and future possible work and departments might work with.

Interview Questions

• what is your former experience, education and career plan?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanford, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples (Hanford, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward and relaxing. Before I got to it one of the cashiers said "Make eye contact" so I did the whole time. Just was really confident and assured him I could handle to responsibilities and I knew about electronics. I was however later told there is usually a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Quick and easy

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Staples.

Interview

Answer all the online questions how you think a customer-service oriented company would want you to reply, not how you actually would reply. Once management has seen your application, and the system hasn't flagged you, they'll take you in for an interview. There's usually plenty of turnover, the stores burn people out.

B2B Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples in January 2015.

Interview

4-5 phone interviews. The managers were all very friendly. Asked great questions. Nothing to hard. Just really want to see what your personality and work ethic is like. They have a great company culture and look to hire/promote from within. It looks great on your resume.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Framingham, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I heard about the job via distant connection who worked in the department. She hooked me up via email with the Hiring Manager. After a brief phone screen, he requested I formally apply on their website... all pretty standard. And then the clearly outsourced HR got involved. What a horror show.

The first non-English speaking person I spoke with seemed professional though hard to understand and only called to screen me again. She then asked if I preferred contact via phone or email. I choose email and proceeded to wait days to here about the scheduling of my interview as promised.

Finally another non-English speaking person called me and did not understand why I asked him about the email I was supposed to get. But wanting the interview, I worked with him best I could to give him my availability for the following few weeks and asked him to please send further updates via email, at this point that was mostly so I would be able to clearly understand him.

Over the next week he continued to call me... at some point in this process I had given up trying to get him to understand I wanted only emails no phone calls. But then he would get angry with me for not being available on the one day a week I had previously told him I had child obligations! Eventually I made arrangements for coverage for my child and agreed to go since he could not offer me any other alternatives.

The interview itself: I met with NINE people, from the girl would current held the job, to the VP of the department which I thought was super overkill, three managers in the department one by one, two panels of co-worker level folks, and finally the Hiring Manager. The lasting impressions I got was the middle management folks I met were all new, the VP was jaded and questioned why I thought Staples was a stable place to work, and the Hiring Manager had made his decision to go with someone else before ever meeting with me. That could have been because the Outsourced third-world country HR service they use took weeks to get me in the door. I wish they had not wasted hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• The standard stuff... like why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Business to Business Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Mirada, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Staples (La Mirada, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I went in for a first interview at the office in La Mirada, CA. Because I am still completing my undergrad (graduating in a month) and have no experience, they didn't ask me too many questions about how I would close a sale. They weren't put off by my lack of experience though because I was a student-athlete. They asked me more character based questions. The next step in the interview process is a ride a long with a senior sales rep.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather host a party or go to a party?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples in April 2015.

Interview

I put in an online application for a part time sales position. I got a call the next day and the supervisor wanted to set me up that day for an interview. I wanted some time to prepare for the interview so I set the interview for two days after that (Friday). I showed up about 10 minutes early and it took a little bit to find my interviewer, nothing where I had to wait terribly long and it looked like they were doing inventory so I expected as much. The interviewer showed up and asked me three questions so my prep was pretty much for no reason, just be ready to answer general questions about yourself. we did a quick tour of the store. He wanted to know by Sunday if I wanted the position. I got an extension to the coming Friday due to other offers. I was offered the IT department at a little under 9 an hour with 25 hours a week or so. I was told that normally you start out in general sales at minimum wage then move to a department, so I'm guessing this was due to my familiarity with computers. I will probably accept the offer if I don't hear positively from the other positions I interviewed for.

The Manager and Store Manager were polite but hurried. my guess would be due to trying to deal with tech issues and stocking the store for the weekend, as this location is near a popular tourist area. Had time for all my questions (compensation, my volunteer activities, other offers) and was interested in what I had to say about my previous work experience.
    Overall, a good experience in the interview process and I hope the job is about the same.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Why do you want to work here? Is your availability flexible?   1 Answer

EasyTech Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples (Cherry Hill, NJ).

Interview

My interview probably wasn't the standard as I was transferring from another tech job and my skills spoke for me. They just wanted to know that I would fit into the culture there.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about technology?   1 Answer

EasyTech Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples (Manhasset, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Asked basic behavioral questions and wanted to see if i was normal basically. After going through all the questions the manager admitted that she didnt know anything about the tech questions she was asking me.

Interview Questions

• Whats the difference between a laser and inkjet printer   1 Answer