Staples

2.3

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples.

First phone interview with HR, second with hiring manager. Hired after the second interview. Both were fit interviews, first one was more general and second was specific to the position.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on time -- I wanted to keep as much time as possible to explore other options.

Sourcing Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Staples.

Initial contact was by phone with an HR associate who asks questions to make an initial determination if you fit the posittion. Next step was a phone interview with the hiring manager where your background is fleshed out in detail. The next step is an in person interview where additional questions were asked and several scenarios are presented and you are asked "how would you handle this"?

Interview Questions
    • Given items and asked to spec them out which goes directly to the sourcing position and shows if you know what you are doing. An unexpected task, slightly unsettling as it has a "test atmosphere" to it   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Staples.

I was interviewed by a recruiter over the phone for 45 min. I then had a two hour face to face interview with the DM. I was told the next step would be an interview with a regional manager but instead I got a phone call from an HR manager. I guess that one didn't go so well because I never heard back from them even after leaving several messages.

Copy/Print Center Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples in October 2014.

Applied online, received a call from the Assistant Store Manager 2 days later and had an interview the day after that. Was told at the end of the interview that I was a good fit for the job and that he would discuss our interview with the store manager and I should hear back in 2-3 days.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions I was asked were either difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Staples.

Quick turn around from application submission, about a day in between submission and being called for an interview. Scheduled interview quickly and it was a standard round robin beginning with the store general manager.

Initially was interested in cashier position, but given my background, the store manager wished to consider me for EasyTech. After Q&A, then proceeded to assistant manager and tech supervisor.

Nothing out of the ordinary but the usual strength / weakness / team player types of questions. The hiring process after that was quick and easy - it's the training that gets ya! ;)

Interview Questions
    • For me personally, I am a user of computers, previously I was not a seller. The question from the tech supervisor about the difference between different types of phones and/or computers did not register with my past experiences. I have done lots of learning since then.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as I was new to retail. In the future though, given my experiences now, I might have negotiated a slightly higher hourly wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples.

I applied online. After a few days I got a call back asking to come in for an interview, I set it up for the next day and I thought things went well. I talked to one of the managers, we got along really well, he asked me a few questions, like what I was doing at my last job and how that went. And that was about it, after that he asked what I would want for hours, asked me if I had any questions, and we chatted about how humid it had been recently. As I was walking out he thanked me many times. All in all it was a nice interview and things went well, but I never heard back. He said he had to talk to the other manager and would then call me within the next few days. Its been about 2 weeks, I've tried calling and got nothing, no answers. Fairly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • There were almost no questions for me. It was very casual.   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate Interview

Two different interviews with the General Manager and the Sales Manager. Was hired on the spot after the second interview.Went in for training the following week and began working the next day.

Copy and Print Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples.

Applied and was called a few days later, went in. Interview was for 15 minutes. Got called a week later and was hired. Did a background check and started training right away.

Interview Questions
    Was offered more than I had asked.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by corporate recruiter. The interview went fine and she was very professional. I was contacted about one week later by the hiring manager setting up a phone interview. I was prepared and ready. I had the experience, acumen and drive I knew they were looking for and I felt confident this would go well. Guess what? it went terrible! From the start I got the impression the hiring manager was "checking" the box with his questions. I tried several times to get him to laugh or offer his vision for this position and the only answers I got were "cool" and "o.k". I also got the feeling I knew more about how to do this job than him. I believe he had made up his mind way before our call and it turned out to be 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. He told me at the end of our call that he was in no rush to fill this opening and he was taking his time to make sure the candidate fits with the current team. Those words was the nail in my coffin LOL! I sent the standard thank you email to him and after about a week with nothing not even a "buzz off" I reached out to the recruiter (who reached out to him I'm sure) for feedback and was sent the standard "your skills don't match what we want...blah blah blah".

Interview Questions
    • Was not asked one difficult question. Was not asked to discuss sales strategy or how to go about reaching decision makers or how to turn customers into power sponsors. I got scripted questions with no feedback from the hiring manager. His mind was made up prior to the interview.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Staples in September 2014.

I applied roughly almost 2 months ago and I received a call on 9/22/2014 to schedule an interview the following day.
    1. Tell me about yourself.
    2.Tell me an incident when you went above and beyond the call of duty? They then told me that being a Sales Associate, you will mainly be on the cashier.
    3. Then they gave me a math problem.
    4.Then they said do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Unexpected! Very easy interview. But it lacked Substance.   Answer Question