Staples Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.3

Easy Tech Associste Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Staples.

Interviewer asked standard questions but was not really concerned with technical background. Customer service is a majority of the position. Selling is the main goal followed by customer service and finally computer repair.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years, within the company?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Everyone starts at the same pay level.

Inside Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Mirada, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Mirada, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples in January 2010.

Initial communication was positive and prompt. Was led through a phone interview and then was scheduled for an in-person interview with one manager and then two additional managers a couple days later. After that I was scheduled for an interview with the Regional Sales Director that same day. The whole process was courteous and quick-paced.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples.

General questions on Customer Service, Sales and P&L Management, General review of Operations procedures and Product Procurement. Examples of Customer service and sales performances and greatest accomplishments. Local connections and events that I was a part of.

No negotiating allowed

Certified On-Site Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples in April 2012.

They asked me if I knew anything about computers and I said yes. That's it you got the job. That was the easiest interview I ever had. They didn't test me or anything. I have 15 years computer experience and they just believed it and took it as is. I could have been lying for all they know. Pretty bad interviewers if you ask me.

They said hows 11 sound? I said it sound ok. They said great and I got the job

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples in May 2014.

Contacted by recruiter for initial phone screening with quick follow up from Area Sales Director. That's where the process started falling apart. There wasn't a DSM in place, so the process was a little backwards. There was very little follow up and I had to keep initiating contact. Multiple trips for 1 hour interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. The typical "situational" sales questions. Be prepared to bring a PowerPoint on why they should hire you. A little goofy, but whatever works for them.   Answer Question

The opening seemed like a good fit at first glance. The culture seemed to be a bit too much micro managed and the lack of flexibility on start dates didn't set up for a good future relationship. The Sales Director seemed realistic with the job details but the new DSM wanted to put his stamp on the team which didn't really fit my personality or sales style.
    I think they're looking for younger, less experienced reps to mold into their ways.

General Manager Interview

I had two interviews, one with a tenured general manager and one with the district manager. Now I believe they have a phone screening with a regional recruiter. After I was hired I was assigned to a training store and a mentor general manager where I completed a 10 week training curriculum.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had everything planned and your day did not go according to plan? What did you do? How did you prioritize? What was the outcome? How did you keep everything straight?   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview wasn't hard at all. Nothing but the usual "why do you want to work here", etc. I remember I actually told the guy that I loved to fix computers and that I did it for no charge, yada yada yada. A+ Certification is recommended, but I didn't have one. So they give a test that is geared towards virus identification and removal.

Interview Questions
    • Again, the questions were the basic "gt to know you" questions. The hardest question would probably be when he asked, "I have a tack of applicants on my desk i can pick from, why choose you?" And i just said, "I work hard and know computers."   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

The initial interview was initiated at the request of another Staples General Manager whom I had previously worked with at another Company. After the application was filled out there was a first phone interview with Regional HR who asked all the general questions about salary, job location, ability to transfer, why I was leaving other company, ability to work more hours for new store opening etc. and the interview was ended.Two days later I got a call from the acting DM for a second interview. This also was also a pretty basic interview about what I had done and my level of knowledge and customer service skills. As this DM was leaving for a new assignment there was yet another interview with the new DM a week later. This DM was so new to the company that the conversation focused mainly on the fact that he wanted me due to my experience and that we would have to talk and negotiate pay which we did. I did not get what I asked for but somewhere in the middle of my request.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult interview questions because the company I was coming from was so similar. I was coming from a competing company (Office Depot) and the store assignment was only 5 miles from my home. I also was trying to adopt a child and the benefits were SIGNIFICANTLY better at Staples. Based on the close proximity of stores the DM already knew how well my store ran.   View Answer
    The negotiation process was made easier because the Hiring DM had a previous working relationship with his Supervisor (Regional Manager) and the DM was newly hired also. So when the offer came in at the low end and I asked for more the DM had some bargaining power and spoke on my behalf.

Resident Easy Tech Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Staples.

applied online and i was contacted less than a week later, walked in and was taken into the back for an interview. I applied for copy center and was unaware there was a tech position availabe. I was A+ certified and they needed someone so i was hired that day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you recommend a computer to someone?   View Answer

Copy Center Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples.

Gave me a call a few days after I submitted my application. Had two interviews in which they asked very basic questions. Basically asked why I was interested in Staples, talked about extra-curricular activities, and opportunities at Staples.