Staples Operation Manager Interview Questions

2.9

Operation Manager Interview

Interview

This was a position that was an internal posting i had previously been initially hired and was awaiting final approval at the VP level to be later have the position be eliminated. I then took another internal Staples Promotional opportunity at a Staples Distribution Center. Upon discovering the position listed on an internal website for jobs and seeking approval from my immediate manager and HR manager up loaded my resume. From there I was involoved in 2 phone screeen / interviews with the Staples Recruiter for Fulfillment. After being remmeded for the next step on interviews i was set up later to interview on a panel of the Senior leadership team I was to be joining with the HR manager. The interview question were in not particular order just in a round robin format with questions based of the information or answers I provided.

Interview Questions

• The most difficuly question was how the compare the differences in leadership and operations of the two sides of the business I had be exposed to.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Staples.

Interview

2 interviews, first with store manager and second with district manager. Pretty basic questions. You need a degree to go higher than a rvp

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They want to know what you want, its really hard to get a feel for what they pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Tulsa, OK) in October 2011.

Interview

Simple basic interview lot of promises to get me in the door

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered I said no thanks and the came back with $4000 more

Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Staples (Muskegon, MI) in April 2011.

Interview

I found the job posted on Indeed.com, and was directed to the Staples webpage to apply and use the Taleo system to place application. Two days after entering the application I received an email from the Staples recruiter asking to set a time for a phone interview. One week after the email contact I had the phone interview. The woman was very pleasant and started the interview by asking for information about the relavant jobs on my resume. She asked many open ended questions and I was happy provide a response (questions were VERY typical of a retail management position and were from a form). I explained the reasons for departure from my previous employeers with exception of a position with Office Depot which was a personal matter and if I let her know the exact reason it could give away to her my marital status, age and if I have children or not-none of which matter for the position I was applying. I believe this was the #1 reason I was not offered the job. Second, is that since the job was listed as Operations Manager I focused my efforts discussing efforts I put forth as a Operations Manager for Circuit City, then toward the end of the interview she explained that they are looking for people that can lead the sales force. Which I then had to back peddle and try to get as much of my past sales experience into the interview during the closing statements, but by then it was too late. Third, she said that I had done a lot of job hopping, which is true but it was all the same type of position and for additional money. 21 years in job market with 8 retailers averages to be 2.6 years-this is ABOVE average for much of retail and the national average for all jobs is 3 years so I am right on target. This was a negative experience because she explained what the next steps were, but I did not receive information from her as she mentioned so I had to do the follow up, after I sent a follow up email the next day I received a system generated form email declining me moving to the next step. Good luck! Something worth mentioning-Assitant Manager positions with this company are now paid on an hourly basis to 40 hours and then time and half to 45 hrs and then a declining scale over 45 hours, schedule is typically 45 hours. This is good to keep your hours in check and helps with a work/life balance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you recognized the results of an employee were less than satisfactory. Explain the situation and exactly what you did and the end result.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples in September 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with hr, district manager and with the gm of the store i would work in

Interview Questions

• what is your game plan to increase customer satisfaction   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Boston, MA) in January 2010.

Interview

Typical scenario is that openings are posted for internal candidates prior to public posting. Based on store operating model (almost all part time associates), few internal candidates qualify. HR screens applicants with phone interviews. District Manager then interviews qualified candidates, passes along some for background checks,etc. Salary was non-negotiable.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral stuff. "Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer situation....."   Answer Question
    • Hypothetical scenarios. 'If you encounter XYX, what do you do in that situation".   Answer Question

Operation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lady Lake, FL

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Staples (Lady Lake, FL) in January 2008.

Interview

Interview was short. Interviewer showed up 30 mins. late. When I asked questions about the company, interviewer said that those divisions didn't pertain to him and that he was only concerned with the store levels. He asked a few questions which I didn't feel were relevant to products and sales within the company, but I answered as best I could based on my past experiences. Interview concluded and he and his associate went on his way.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Staples.

Interview

I was an internal candidate. I first interviewed with the store manager and DM and then had a follow up with a senior HR manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they immediately let me know that it's pretty much take it or leave it.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples in March 2010.

Interview

2 phone interivews, 1:1 interview, offered salary spread of $8,000 a year, and they took the middle ground, so it would have been nice to see them up their offer. I thought the first interview on the phone was sort of rude, but the next lady who called me was very nice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Be prepared to discuss your past