Staples

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Resident Easy Tech

I applied online and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – applied online and i was contacted less than a week later, walked in and was taken into the back for an interview. I applied for copy center and was unaware there was a tech position availabe. I was A+ certified and they needed someone so i was hired that day.

Interview Question – How would you recommend a computer to someone?   View Answer

Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Staples in March 2013.

Interview Details – Must apply online, no application process available in-store. If they are interested, they will call to setup and interview. I only had one interview, but that could vary depending on the store and which position you applied for. Interview was one on one with the assistant and sales managers. Pretty straightforward questions, why Staples, strengths/weaknesses etc... If you want to be an on-site technician (go out to homes/businesses) you need to pass a skills certification first.

Interview Question – Nothing really caught me off-guard. Just be ready for typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offers are computed by corporate based on education and past experience.

Chevy Chase, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked about my experience and at the time I had none. I told the interviewer that I had an A+ certification and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – There was only one question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in February 2013.

Interview Details – Asked about basic knowledge of computes. Reminded me that there would be some salesmanship required, not just fixing computers. He spoke more about this aspect of the job, than he questioned me on my background. Made me feel like the job would be selling computers instead of using my skill set to fix them.

Interview Question – If you were a computer what part would be?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I received a better offer.

Totowa, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Staples in May 2013.

Interview Details – The online application process was a chore to say the least. I was requested by management to take it three different times with the cited problem being that I was being "too honest" (such as saying I would do tasks like cleaning bathrooms "as required of me" instead of "I like cleaning bathrooms and would enjoy being asked to do it") Essentially, I was told to lie through my teeth and yes the online application to death, telling it exactly what it wanted to hear instead of the truth because they cannot interview a candidate, no matter how qualified they are, if they do not meet or exceed a certain arbitrary hidden score.

Upon telling the application what it wanted to hear (such being enthralled to clean restrooms and climb tall ladders despite my paralyzing fear of heights) as instructed by the manager, I was called in for an interview the next day. Two managers conducted the interview, one was friendly and personable while the other was assertive and intimidating, together taking on the role of "Good Cop / Bad Cop". The office made the interrogation scene feel even more intense due to how crammed it was, leaving me feeling claustrophobic and wishing the interview could've taken place in the more open and relaxed work area of the store or the home office furniture section.

After the interview, which went over better than I thought based on their reactions and smiles to my answers, I was told to call in exactly one week from that day and I'd have my answer. One manager, the "good cop", said point-blank she was sold and definitely wanted to hire me.

I called the following week as instructed only to be told they haven't came to a mutual decision yet and to call back the next week. This game of unprofessional phone tag went on for over a month before being finally told that a "Conflict of Interest" prevented them from hiring me due to having worked as a freelance repair technician. To ease their concerns, I offered to sign a non-compete agreement if offered the job and was told to call back in another week. As you can guess, this call back next week cycle dragged out for ANOTHER MONTH until finally I was told by an employee after getting my name that he was told to tell me if I called that position had been filled and then he refused to let me speak to the manager.

Outraged, I decided to see the managers in person to get a straight answer out of them while telling them that their associate refused to let me talk to them, stating they were told to say the position's been filled. The managers deny the claim saying they made no such statement and that it's not filled yet but that there's a hiring freeze in effect and to call back in a month.

Are you kidding me?! If there's a hiring freeze then why are you conducting interviews in the first place?! This is the most unprofessional joke of a place I ever had the misfortune of applying to while getting a never ending run-around that spells, "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Never again will I waste my time on this company, or at least this location.

Interview Questions

• "What makes you so special that I should hire you instead of anyone else? Tell me what only you can offer to Staples?"   View Answer
  • Technicians here are also expected to sell goods and preventive services. How many times should the customer have to say no before you accept it and walk away?   View Answer
  • Can you drive?   View Answer
  • What's the most important thing you felt you've learned from a past job, not counting any self-employment experiences?   View Answer

Interviewed at Staples

Interview Details – Show a willingness to meet sales goals, enthusiasm for sales, and knowledge of the products and services they sell. Interviews here are pretty straight forward. Come up with a scenario if someone came in with a pc problem, or if you were helping a customer with a new/replacement pc purchase. Ideally, they want to hear that you will suggest attachments and state the benefits for each one,

Interview Question – be able to come up with a sales objection. What if the customer says that they do not want the tech support or warranty? How would you overcome this?   Answer Question

Provo, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applyed at home after meeting with the assistant manager. and it took a total of 3 interviews and i was hired. management was very nice and appealing. they went over many detailed questions such as.. how well can you sell? How are you with people? a time when you had a irate customer.

Interview Question – All questions i was farmiliar with and knew how to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a great starting wage and accepted

Austin, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was a rather easy process. I applied online and received a call the next day. The interview was set up for the day after. This interview was a basic interview consisting of the basic types of questions one would expect (e.g. "Why are you interested in Staples?"; "Why did you leave your previous employer?") There was also a small selling "test" where I would basically "sell" the interviewee a pen. It didn't seem like a major part of the qualification process, but rather just a gauge for what training would be required.

After the initial interview, I talked with the general manager, Easy Tech Expert and assistant manager and took a formal technical skills assessment (think A+ certification material!).

Interview Question – "Sell me this pen."   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied and never got a call back.

Interview Question – How many years of experience with computers?   View Answers (2)

Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Staples in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was an ok interview the manager offered me a minimum wage job not sure if I'll accept

Interview Question – What can I bring to the company   View Answer

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!