Staples Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Staples in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call several days later. Came in for an interview two says after that and was very impressed. Interviewer was very friendly and open. Questions were tailored to who I was and what I have done in the past.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was asked if there was a minimum hourly pay I would need to accept the job. I didn't have much leverage or experience at that point so I asked for the standard starting pay of 8.00 an hour

Other Interview Reviews for Staples

Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples (Hamden, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back a few days later. The interview was more of him talking about the company and what they were looking for. We did joke around a lot and he told me that he liked my personality so I was sure that I was going to get the job. Then he said he would let me know by Wednesday or Thursday and 90% of the time when an employer says that it means they don't want you. So as you can guess I never heard back from him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call a week and a half later. The store manager called me in for an interview. It was quite good and not particularly challenging. I made it a point to mention my technology skills and aptitude for customer service. It was clearly a large part of the online application so, I wanted to make it known that customer service was my main focus. Happy customers mean happy manager.

Interview Questions

• What is important to you about your job?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Staples (Braintree, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got scheduled for an interview the following day (that was fast). Here's some hint, they'll scrutinize your previous experience in retail business thoroughly. My experience was in food service, thus I was told during the interview that I'm not fit for their requirements.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   2 Answers
    • How do you plan to sell a computer   Answer Question
    • Understand that we don't make much from selling computers, to cover the expenses, we need to sell the insurance. How would you accomplish that   Answer Question
    • Tell me about customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about teamwork   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arroyo Grande, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Staples (Arroyo Grande, CA).

Interview

Applied online and got called in for an interview a couple weeks later. Came in and had a very relaxed interview that lasted about 20 minutes. Told me i did good but would have to talk to other manager on whether or not to hire me because of certain reasons.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Staples (Greenville, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied over the weekend and set up an interview for that Monday. I showed up about ten minutes early and told the cashier that I was there for an interview. She called over who I would come to know as a floating manager and while he set up for our interview I talked with her for a little bit; she was extremely nice. The floating manager asked me typical interview questions -- why Staples? and tell me about yourself -- and seemed to like me quite a bit. He was pretty young too, which I think helped. Because he was a floating manager he said he couldn't make the decision to hire me or not and invited me in for a second interview with the assistant manager the next day; I took this to be a good sign. However, I fumbled through my second interview and knew the second I began talking to him that I was not the person he was looking to fill this position. He was nice enough and I believe I caught him off-guard by asking him what his favorite part of working at Staples was, but in the end it wasn't enough for me to get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Staples (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Met with a store manager, and had a brief interview. I was only asked to talk about myself and why I chose staples. Then met with the District Manager immediately after. She knew what she wanted and needed someone who could deliver.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered "more than the starting rate." I accepted.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Staples.

Interview

Answer all the online questions how you think a customer-service oriented company would want you to reply, not how you actually would reply. Once management has seen your application, and the system hasn't flagged you, they'll take you in for an interview. There's usually plenty of turnover, the stores burn people out.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Staples in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and almost two months later I received an email asking to schedule an interview. After replying to the email they called me two days later requesting that I come in either that evening or the next day. I went with the former. I arrived about fifteen minutes early and eventually was brought into the back office for a relatively short interview with the General Manager. He mainly asked me about myself and my previous job as well as what experience/skills I possessed. Due to my background in working with computers he wanted me to be a sales associate in that particular area of the store. He informed me that this would mean I would primarily be pushing warranties and virus protection and not simply selling computers and whatnot on their own. He wanted to know if I was okay with this. Wanting the job, I replied in the affirmative and was offered a part-time position, provided my background check went well. Assuming it did, I would then come in for orientation/training.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Staples in April 2015.

Interview

I put in an online application for a part time sales position. I got a call the next day and the supervisor wanted to set me up that day for an interview. I wanted some time to prepare for the interview so I set the interview for two days after that (Friday). I showed up about 10 minutes early and it took a little bit to find my interviewer, nothing where I had to wait terribly long and it looked like they were doing inventory so I expected as much. The interviewer showed up and asked me three questions so my prep was pretty much for no reason, just be ready to answer general questions about yourself. we did a quick tour of the store. He wanted to know by Sunday if I wanted the position. I got an extension to the coming Friday due to other offers. I was offered the IT department at a little under 9 an hour with 25 hours a week or so. I was told that normally you start out in general sales at minimum wage then move to a department, so I'm guessing this was due to my familiarity with computers. I will probably accept the offer if I don't hear positively from the other positions I interviewed for. The Manager and Store Manager were polite but hurried. my guess would be due to trying to deal with tech issues and stocking the store for the weekend, as this location is near a popular tourist area. Had time for all my questions (compensation, my volunteer activities, other offers) and was interested in what I had to say about my previous work experience. Overall, a good experience in the interview process and I hope the job is about the same.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Why do you want to work here? Is your availability flexible?   1 Answer