Staples

Getting the Interview

46 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Staples

Interview Details – The interview was very interesting and they were very friendly. Go in with a resume and also don't forget to bring a pen and paper. . . lots o f education is necessary for these positions and math skills are a plus

Crestview Hills, KY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in April 2014.

Interview Details – very laid back interview. interview was in the office furniture part of the store and he asked about my previous work experience primarily. overall it was a straight forward interview without any difficult questions

Interview Question – what days are you available to work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation. the company has fairly strict rates although because of my experience i was able to get a little more

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – I had been referred by a friend who worked in the same store. The first interview was with the assistant manager of operations. He asked me the normal array of questions and introduced me to the technician working on computers. I was able to speak to the technician on a number of topics including computer repair, sales strategies and new gadgets. I was scheduled for a second interview with the assistant manager of sales. Much the same as the first. A few days later they called me and told me I was hired.

Interview Question – When I spoke to the technician he asked what kind of scans I might run on the computer he was working on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told how much the position paid. My option was to take it or leave it.

Allston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – The interview process for me was very simple and casual. I was asked what I was looking for and my background experience, and my availability. If you have a good personality, that's really all you need to sink an entry level position with the company.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself with the company in the next 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Told me I'd get starting pay of so-and-so based on my experience and started me off as part-time. One month later I was taken to the side and offered Full-Time because of my progress.

Bloomsburg, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was in store and very basic. Just a few questions about some of the work I've done before.

Interview Question – Explain a project you've done where you've run into a project, and how did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview, met with im guessing hiring manager or manager. has a short interview. It went really great, he sent me a email to fill out the background check. i waited a couple of days, then was told to come in and do some paperwork and i was hired and start tuesday

Lancaster, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples in January 2014.

Interview Details – They called me in for an interview about 2 weeks after I put in the application. Both the Store Manager and Assistant Manager interviewed me...at the same time. The questions were straight forward. The issue was that, a week later, they called me again. They didn't offer the the job...in fact they wanted an interview. They didn't have any of my information from my first interview with them and completely forgot they interviewed me in the first place. It was awkward and they never contacted me again.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details – I was hired by two managers. One was a complete ass who told me I would have to extend my availability to get the job even after I explained that I'm a full time student. The other said I would be hired. Good cop, bad cop situation.

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Staples in January 2014.

Interview Details – i applied online 12.29.13 and did the super long online questionnaire that asked scenario questions like "if you were stocking shelves and the line for the cash register was really long what would you do? go open another register" that kind of stuff. 01.14.14 i was called to set up an interview. interview was on 01.17.14 at 2pm arrived 15 minutes early so interview started early. the manager said he does an unorthodox interview and he just described the job asked what i liked/didn't like about what he told me, and then just asked about my hobbies and customer service experience and asked if i was good with math/money, was pretty much told i would get the job. got a call the same day to go online and submit my information for a background check. 1.21.14 got a call saying i passed the background check and to set up a time to meet the head manager and turn in my SSN and Drivers License Number on 01.22.14 at 2pm, i arrived early but they were super busy so i waited for an hour, but the manager apologized, bought me a soda, and told me i got the job and he would add the time i waited to my pay for the week, he sat with me while their tax representative called and asked me questions (am i on welfare? that kind of stuff) then he asked my customer service experience and offered me $8.40 and i was given my schedule then and there.

Interview Question – what are your hobbies? what is your customer service experience?   Answer Question

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Staples in April 2013.

Interview Details – All prospective employees are referred to the dreaded online application. There is a personality test that weeds out unwanted personalities. They want personalities that will follow rules.

Interview Question – Do you want to win at all costs?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I took lower pay than my previous job yet the GM said he's paying me more that most. Turns out everyone in the store started at my pay.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 46 interview reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees and interview candidates.