Starbucks

Updated Nov 28, 2014

2.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
-Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
-Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
-What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
-What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
-What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
-Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
-Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions
  • "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer
Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Received a call from the recruiter. Asked about past job experiences and then sent an email to set up another phone interview the following week. Had the second phone interview with the pretty much the same questions as the first phone interview. Then I was told that they interview in a biweekly process so he would be in contact with me in the future to set up the next set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

I was so excited to interview for this position because Starbucks is a company that will mentor you and promote growth. The interview wasn't too difficult, a lot of behavior based questions. In the interview I was positive, enthusiastic and excited to finally find a company that values employees and start a career. They basically told me that I was a risky candidate because they thought that I didn't know enough about the job and that it wasn't truly where I wanted to be. I was stunned. I was nothing but positive and excited about the opportunity. I am so very disappointed with Starbucks right now. I have idolized this company since I wrote a paper about them in college and it's pretty disappointing to have them tell me that it's not where I want to be since it truly was where I wanted to be. Good luck to other interviewers because they make it pretty hard to work at a coffee shop, even with a degree in business management.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had to make a decision where you didn't know all the facts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2013.

I applied online and did not have previous Assistant Manager (ASM) status although I'd worked with the company for 3 years before. During the interview, he changed goals to just a Barista because Starbucks prefers to move people up internally. Once I was interviewed by the District Manager (DSM's interview often for ASM's), I was sent to have another interview with the manager of the store I was now applying to as a Barista.

Interview Questions
    • What is the stickiest situation you've been in with a customer and how did you get out of it?   View Answer
    Unfortunately, I had applied for a position the company wanted to move people internally into, so I settled for Barista.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

I was initially sent an email by a recruiter of Starbucks (LinkdIn). I contacted her back via phone, she was a very pleasant and inviting. She told me to apply online and give her a call back once completed. After which, I had a lengthy phone interview with her. Going over my past work experiences and education. She asked behavioral questions as well as result oriented questions. By the end of the call she invited me to meet with the District Managers for a panel interview the following week. I also asked the recruiter based on our interview would there be any tips or pointers she could pass on. One being to use numbers in describing results i.e sales trends,customer counts and percentage fluctuations. Another to make it a point to mention my volunteer work since Starbucks is heavenly involved with the communities (I already had it on my resume). My panel interview went EXTREMELY well! I was met by two district managers one being the one I would report to. I was offered a drink of my choosing. As I stood in line with the DM I made small talk she informed me of a story about something her kids did yesterday I mentioned how nice the weather was etc. When we sat down for the beginning of the interview we had a coffee talk to start off (When you taste coffee and describe the components of the brew). All of the questions were behavioral i.e tell me about a time ... As I told the stories of each situation I engaged both with eye contact back and forth, smiled, made sure my voice wasn't monotone. I made the interview extremely conversational by doing simple gestures. Also I found times when they would make a small joke and was able to play off of that. For instance after I gave a time when I used my personality to rub off on my team to sing after every whole bean sale one dm joked that he didnt have that fun bone and pointed to his forearm I came back and said its actually right here pointing to my shoulder. Once they completed their packet of questions I asked my follow up questions and we ended of with the best overall feeling on all parties involved they informed me that they were interviewing more and that my recruiter would be in-touch either way. Three hours later my recruiter called me to continue on with the next step (background check) So I interviewed Thursday and on Monday I received my offer letter. I start in 2 weeks. I now work for the company in which I feel i will retire from

Interview Questions
    • Just be sure to have a story. The problem, your response, and the result. The more detailed the better.   Answer Question
    My recruiter told me the offer, asked if that was fair. Which it was! But, I had the option of negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I applied online and a recruiter call in three days. the recruiter was great and well knowledge. we did a phone interview the next day. make sire you look up behavioral questions before interviewing. after phone interview was told he was very impress with my answer and wanted to set up a interview with the dm. two days later called back and set up a interview.two dm was present, one ask questions and one wrote ur answer. also offer me a cup of coffee. the store was very busy, but the staff was excellent. the interview last for a hour and they told me thr recruiter will be back in touch with me. the recruiter call to say they have very positive thing from the interview and wanted to proceed with a background check.background check came back in a week and they me made me a offer and i accepted. truly a great company to work for. they really care about the people working for them. top quality company.

Interview Questions
    • what was a time you was not able to meet customers demand   Answer Question
    • Describe the time when you have made changes that reflect postive results   Answer Question
    You would have to look at your particular market, that will decide ur pay, i gave them amount and they offer me more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2011.

Applied online, received a call from HR about an hour later, had a phone interview. Was scheduled for a 1 on 1 interview the next day in person. Received a job offer the next day. Took them over a month to get me started.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you went above and beyond your normal job duties to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • Explain how you've taken an under performing associate and worked with them to bring up their performance.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they pay you what they believe you're worth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

They are looking for positive energy and an ability to be personable and problem solve. Other qualities would include the ability to maintain composure, a love for coffee culture, and the ability to understand and act upon numbers typically seen in a P&L Statement.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision without having all of the answers. (What did you do? What was the outcome?)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about what you are doing currently to develop yourself personally and professionally.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2010.

I received an invitation from an HR manager for a phone interview days after applying online. The phone interview lasted approximately 30 min, and focused on a lot of "tell me a time when..." questions. At the end of the interview, we scheduled a meeting for a second interview with some current district managers, which took place about a week later, at an area Starbucks. When I arrived, I was greeted by three very friendly district managers, two of whom then interviewed me, after we had a 'cupping' session (tasting coffee). It was a really nice beginning. Again, most of the questions were 'tell me a time when...' mostly around customer service. It was pretty short, only about a half hour or so. The interviewers were very warm and friendly.
    I got a phone call the next day from the first person who did the phone interview, saying that they had decided to go another route. When I asked what sort of qualifications they were looking for that I was not able to offer, I was told that they do not give coaching and development to candidates, which stung a bit, as I was not looking for coaching, but for a simple 30 second answer. Oh well. I'm telling myself it has mostly to do with the fact that I have a different career and that it was obvious that this was not a job I actually wanted. Wish I could tell you what the problem was, though -- it might make this review more helpful!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker. What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2010.

Barista worked up to Assistant Manager. The process is not for the faint hearted. Be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops, they want to see how committed you are. In the end it is worth every effort.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to lead a team even though you didn't agree with the decision.   Answer Question
    None