Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Miami, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were both amazing people who were passionate about people and achieving the highest of standards. They were very thorough in their questions and asked for specific examples of situations I have handled in my previous or current employment experiences. The first step was to complete the application online followed by a Virtual Job Tryout involving Employee and Customer Situations, a timed analysis of an actual P&L statement with multiple choice responses, followed by a 100+ question test that analyzes again how you would most likely handle situations or how you feel. If you're not great with numbers, specifically with analyzing P&L statements, it can be quite challenging to do well on this part of the virtual tryout so be ready with a calculator and scratch paper with the ability to calculate percentages.

The Job Tryout was followed by a phone interview with the recruiter to talk more about your experience and job history. This is your time to shine and share why you would be the best fit for Starbucks and what your key strengths and abilities are. Be honest and have fun! This was followed by more situational questions very similar to the Virtual Job Tryout. After a successful phone interview, you are invited to meet with the District Manager.

I would highly suggest arriving early for your DM interview or even visiting the day before to the location to observe the team in action. I arrived about an hour early and was offered a free drink while I waited. This is a great opportunity to observe the team in action and get a feel for the operations which can be cited throughout your interview. The DM interview covered my experience listed on my resume and why I wanted to join the Starbucks team. This was followed by more situational questions asking about specific examples you have encountered in your current or previous positions. The interview is very similar to the phone interview but is even more of an opportunity to connect with someone who is obviously going to be right in front of you. Be honest, energetic, and confident in who you are.

I was notified the same day of my DM interview that I was offered the position from the Recruiter who I had the phone interview with. Background check will be emailed as long as you accept the offer and will be made official once you pass the check.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you received unsolicited feedback from an employee. What was the feedback and how did you take it? What did you do to fix it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks (Greenwood Village, CO).

Interview

As an internal hire the process for this interview starts with your SM and DM they will decide if you are ready to go to the next round after sitting down and talking with you and reviewing everything that they have had you do to "develop". Once cleared to go on to the formal interview you will interview with three district managers or current store managers. The process takes an hour and is comprised of 5 extended response questions, that you as an internal promote should already be familiar with as they are based on the core competencies of the supervisor role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your work?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Met two district managers at a Starbucks and felt at ease and actually was a really great experience. They both asked me situational questions. I.e. Describe a time when you had to say no to something, and what was the outcome.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about a week later, I got an email about a phone interview. I was asked questions about my current position and how I work with my team, customers, and handle sales, ordering, promotions and paperwork as well as scheduling concerning the position.

I guess the person interviewing me didn't like that I was from a licensed Starbucks store because he cut me off mid interview and started going on about the company and the individual stores and how they are different to where I currently work. He talked for about 10 minutes while I listened and then he said that even thought I have 2 years of Starbucks management experience, I might be good at starting as a barista and working my way up in a corporate store. And then he said he would send me a link to other job opportunities (in which he did) and that was it. I didn't like that I was being overlooked because I didn't have management experience from a corporate store.

Interview Questions

• How do you schedule your partners, based on what? How do you know what to order? What do you look for in a future partner during an interview? Provide an example in which you had to coach a partner about something they are doing wrong?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process was ok, your run of the mill basic questions. I interviewed for an assistant management position but was offered a shift supervisor position to get experience first.

Interview Questions

• What was the most surprising thing on the job description?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked how much I wanted to make and I was placed where I was going to have the opportunity to move up

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Had two phone interviews one in person with two district managers. Went out to a store location, i was dressed even more professional than them. I think it went good, dont be too nervous

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through there website and the following week the recruiter emailed me to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, she sent me another E-mail with dates to meet with 2 district managers. When I got to the interview site, one manager was asking questions and the other manager was taking notes.

Interview Questions

• All Behavioral and some customer service questions. They want real life examples!   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process included phone interview, face to face interview with 3 managers, and a coffee connection. Each interview lasted about an hour. Remember that this is a coffee business, if offered a drink take the drink.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Overall, it took about one month between the date that I applied for the job, and the date that the job was officially offered to me. I was called by the Recruiter about 4 days after initially applying, we set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview went for about 20-25 minutes during which we discussed my work history, interests outside of work, accomplishments at my previous jobs, and why I decided to apply for Starbucks. The interview felt very relaxed and almost as if I was talking to a friend.

My best advice would be to always be honest. Don't worry if you cant immediately answer a question. Ask if you can come back to that subject later while you continue with the interview. When giving examples of accomplishments, DONT give vague examples like "you sold the most phones at your store". Give specifics. If you managed to reduce over time, say so and give an honest percentage of how much you helped in reducing it. If you saved your company money due to inventory management or by reorganizing a specific program, explain and how much was saved by the company. $ and %’s are a big plus. Regarding outside interests, don't give something like playing video games, or playing football with your buddies. Be honest but be imaginative. Remember that Starbucks is a community oriented company. They are all about giving back and looking out for the communities that they're in. If youre into community service, say so. Let them know what you’ve done, how the idea came up, purpose, and final outcome. When youre asked why you decided to apply, give a personal experience that you had with Starbucks. Ive been a Starbucks regular and though I didn't ask anyone what they thought of the company, I knew that they were happy. If you pass the phone interview, you will then be asked to come in for a face to face interview with two District Managers.

Below I am listing some of the questions that I was asked both during the phone interview and the face to face interview. I wont be able to remember each one but I will list as many as I can remember.
    Questions :
    1. Give an example where you had to deal with a difficult employee or coworker. What caused the issue? What did you do to resolve the situation? (if you can give specifics, even better. Names, specific causes, time frame, etc.)
    2. Give an example where you had a conflict with a supervisor. (same questions as above)
    3. Give an example of your strengths. Weaknesses. (For this one, I suggest adding what you are doing to improve your weaknesses)
    4. Give an example of how you have (or would) inform employees on the tasks that need to be accomplished for the day or any directives that come down from headquarters.
    5. What did you study in college? How would you apply what you learned, in the Asst. Mgr. position? (My major is not at all related to retail or hospitality. I do have management experience and luckily my major is very people oriented. So I was able to give an honest answer and how that would greatly benefit not only my performance, but also my contribution to the company.)
    6. Give an example of a time that you had to have a tough conversation with someone.
    7. Give an example of a time that you had to bring up a coworker's/subordinate's performance.

This is about all I can remember for now. If you make it to the face to face interview, you might be offered something to drink. Accept it but don't ask for something outrageously expensive. Keep it simple. You will be asked if you have any questions for them so my advice would be to come prepared. Prior to the interview think of any questions that you may have or something that you would like cleared up. DONT ask for what your salary will be. You can look online (and on this website) for a range of salaries for this position. Besides, the salaries are good and the benefits are very well worth it. Along with those benefits Im including working with people that actually want to be there. Trust me, its worth it.

After the interview, the DM's will excuse you, thank you for your time and will most likely stay behind to discuss their thoughts and opinions. Thank them for the opportunity. Remember to take your trash out. Remember that as an Assistant Manager youre responsible for others, not the other way around.

From here, if you are cleared for moving forward, your recruiter will submit a background check. It might take a week or two but don't worry. Youre recruiter will keep you up to date on the progress. SBUX is really good about that.

Remember, BE HONEST! You don't want to lie, you don't want to get caught in a lie, and you don't want to say you can do something and then show the complete opposite once you are working and responsible for 7-15 people. Remember, its not just your employment, salary, and livelihood at stake. It's also the partners' employment, salary, and livelihood that youre being responsible for. Don't be one of "those" managers.

Interview Questions

• Conflict with a supervisor.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I thought the offer was fair since I hadn't previously worked for Starbucks.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

while working for the company if upper management doesn't like you even if you have been an employee for three years good luck they will most likely go with an outside hire that will quite within the year and you'll re apply.

Interview Questions

• besides what we already ask you to do to raise food units and at home coffee sales?   1 Answer