Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.9

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Met two district managers at a Starbucks and felt at ease and actually was a really great experience. They both asked me situational questions. I.e. Describe a time when you had to say no to something, and what was the outcome.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process was ok, your run of the mill basic questions. I interviewed for an assistant management position but was offered a shift supervisor position to get experience first.

Interview Questions

• What was the most surprising thing on the job description?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked how much I wanted to make and I was placed where I was going to have the opportunity to move up

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Had two phone interviews one in person with two district managers. Went out to a store location, i was dressed even more professional than them. I think it went good, dont be too nervous

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through there website and the following week the recruiter emailed me to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, she sent me another E-mail with dates to meet with 2 district managers. When I got to the interview site, one manager was asking questions and the other manager was taking notes.

Interview Questions

• All Behavioral and some customer service questions. They want real life examples!   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process included phone interview, face to face interview with 3 managers, and a coffee connection. Each interview lasted about an hour. Remember that this is a coffee business, if offered a drink take the drink.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Overall, it took about one month between the date that I applied for the job, and the date that the job was officially offered to me. I was called by the Recruiter about 4 days after initially applying, we set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview went for about 20-25 minutes during which we discussed my work history, interests outside of work, accomplishments at my previous jobs, and why I decided to apply for Starbucks. The interview felt very relaxed and almost as if I was talking to a friend.

My best advice would be to always be honest. Don't worry if you cant immediately answer a question. Ask if you can come back to that subject later while you continue with the interview. When giving examples of accomplishments, DONT give vague examples like "you sold the most phones at your store". Give specifics. If you managed to reduce over time, say so and give an honest percentage of how much you helped in reducing it. If you saved your company money due to inventory management or by reorganizing a specific program, explain and how much was saved by the company. $ and %’s are a big plus. Regarding outside interests, don't give something like playing video games, or playing football with your buddies. Be honest but be imaginative. Remember that Starbucks is a community oriented company. They are all about giving back and looking out for the communities that they're in. If youre into community service, say so. Let them know what you’ve done, how the idea came up, purpose, and final outcome. When youre asked why you decided to apply, give a personal experience that you had with Starbucks. Ive been a Starbucks regular and though I didn't ask anyone what they thought of the company, I knew that they were happy. If you pass the phone interview, you will then be asked to come in for a face to face interview with two District Managers.

Below I am listing some of the questions that I was asked both during the phone interview and the face to face interview. I wont be able to remember each one but I will list as many as I can remember.
    Questions :
    1. Give an example where you had to deal with a difficult employee or coworker. What caused the issue? What did you do to resolve the situation? (if you can give specifics, even better. Names, specific causes, time frame, etc.)
    2. Give an example where you had a conflict with a supervisor. (same questions as above)
    3. Give an example of your strengths. Weaknesses. (For this one, I suggest adding what you are doing to improve your weaknesses)
    4. Give an example of how you have (or would) inform employees on the tasks that need to be accomplished for the day or any directives that come down from headquarters.
    5. What did you study in college? How would you apply what you learned, in the Asst. Mgr. position? (My major is not at all related to retail or hospitality. I do have management experience and luckily my major is very people oriented. So I was able to give an honest answer and how that would greatly benefit not only my performance, but also my contribution to the company.)
    6. Give an example of a time that you had to have a tough conversation with someone.
    7. Give an example of a time that you had to bring up a coworker's/subordinate's performance.

This is about all I can remember for now. If you make it to the face to face interview, you might be offered something to drink. Accept it but don't ask for something outrageously expensive. Keep it simple. You will be asked if you have any questions for them so my advice would be to come prepared. Prior to the interview think of any questions that you may have or something that you would like cleared up. DONT ask for what your salary will be. You can look online (and on this website) for a range of salaries for this position. Besides, the salaries are good and the benefits are very well worth it. Along with those benefits Im including working with people that actually want to be there. Trust me, its worth it.

After the interview, the DM's will excuse you, thank you for your time and will most likely stay behind to discuss their thoughts and opinions. Thank them for the opportunity. Remember to take your trash out. Remember that as an Assistant Manager youre responsible for others, not the other way around.

From here, if you are cleared for moving forward, your recruiter will submit a background check. It might take a week or two but don't worry. Youre recruiter will keep you up to date on the progress. SBUX is really good about that.

Remember, BE HONEST! You don't want to lie, you don't want to get caught in a lie, and you don't want to say you can do something and then show the complete opposite once you are working and responsible for 7-15 people. Remember, its not just your employment, salary, and livelihood at stake. It's also the partners' employment, salary, and livelihood that youre being responsible for. Don't be one of "those" managers.

Interview Questions

• Conflict with a supervisor.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I thought the offer was fair since I hadn't previously worked for Starbucks.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

while working for the company if upper management doesn't like you even if you have been an employee for three years good luck they will most likely go with an outside hire that will quite within the year and you'll re apply.

Interview Questions

• besides what we already ask you to do to raise food units and at home coffee sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

A panel interview with two area district managers where they ask a pre-determined set of questions. I prepared a coffee tasting which I presented first. The interview was fairly conversational.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without having all of the information. What do you wish you had known and what would you have done differently   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

They use a standard behavior interview deck. A lot of tell me how..., They are looking for the answers to be answered in STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Give real world examples of your past accomplishments. Starbucks is very focused on the customer experience as well as the Partner experience, so give examples that correlate to these.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

set salary

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interviewing process was very professional and thorough. There was excellent communication from all personnel involved from Starbucks. Responses to my questions were given in great detail and all emails phone calls or communications were returned in a reasonable amount of time. Recruited for the region was very helpful with all of my questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most awkward conversation had in the workplace?   Answer Question