Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Centennial, CO).

Interview

Interviewed by Managers at a job fair inside a store. Because of my experience and interest in management I moved on in the process to interview with District Manager. That interview was several days later also inside a store. I was offered a position pending successful background check and references checking out.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Miami, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interviewers were both amazing people who were passionate about people and achieving the highest of standards. They were very thorough in their questions and asked for specific examples of situations I have handled in my previous or current employment experiences. The first step was to complete the application online followed by a Virtual Job Tryout involving Employee and Customer Situations, a timed analysis of an actual P&L statement with multiple choice responses, followed by a 100+ question test that analyzes again how you would most likely handle situations or how you feel. If you're not great with numbers, specifically with analyzing P&L statements, it can be quite challenging to do well on this part of the virtual tryout so be ready with a calculator and scratch paper with the ability to calculate percentages. The Job Tryout was followed by a phone interview with the recruiter to talk more about your experience and job history. This is your time to shine and share why you would be the best fit for Starbucks and what your key strengths and abilities are. Be honest and have fun! This was followed by more situational questions very similar to the Virtual Job Tryout. After a successful phone interview, you are invited to meet with the District Manager. I would highly suggest arriving early for your DM interview or even visiting the day before to the location to observe the team in action. I arrived about an hour early and was offered a free drink while I waited. This is a great opportunity to observe the team in action and get a feel for the operations which can be cited throughout your interview. The DM interview covered my experience listed on my resume and why I wanted to join the Starbucks team. This was followed by more situational questions asking about specific examples you have encountered in your current or previous positions. The interview is very similar to the phone interview but is even more of an opportunity to connect with someone who is obviously going to be right in front of you. Be honest, energetic, and confident in who you are. I was notified the same day of my DM interview that I was offered the position from the Recruiter who I had the phone interview with. Background check will be emailed as long as you accept the offer and will be made official once you pass the check.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you received unsolicited feedback from an employee. What was the feedback and how did you take it? What did you do to fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Greenwood Village, CO).

Interview

As an internal hire the process for this interview starts with your SM and DM they will decide if you are ready to go to the next round after sitting down and talking with you and reviewing everything that they have had you do to "develop". Once cleared to go on to the formal interview you will interview with three district managers or current store managers. The process takes an hour and is comprised of 5 extended response questions, that you as an internal promote should already be familiar with as they are based on the core competencies of the supervisor role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your work?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Met two district managers at a Starbucks and felt at ease and actually was a really great experience. They both asked me situational questions. I.e. Describe a time when you had to say no to something, and what was the outcome.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and about a week later, I got an email about a phone interview. I was asked questions about my current position and how I work with my team, customers, and handle sales, ordering, promotions and paperwork as well as scheduling concerning the position. I guess the person interviewing me didn't like that I was from a licensed Starbucks store because he cut me off mid interview and started going on about the company and the individual stores and how they are different to where I currently work. He talked for about 10 minutes while I listened and then he said that even thought I have 2 years of Starbucks management experience, I might be good at starting as a barista and working my way up in a corporate store. And then he said he would send me a link to other job opportunities (in which he did) and that was it. I didn't like that I was being overlooked because I didn't have management experience from a corporate store.

Interview Questions

• How do you schedule your partners, based on what? How do you know what to order? What do you look for in a future partner during an interview? Provide an example in which you had to coach a partner about something they are doing wrong?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Starbucks in March 2015.

Interview

I had a call from a Recruiter and had a brief 30 minute on-phone interview with her, followed by an interview date. Met with 2 District Managers at a local store. I was offered a coffee tasting to start the interview. There was a short dialogue regarding my reason for applying to the company. After that, the two DMs fired scripted scenario questions at me for about a half hour. Expressions were deadpan. No dialogue following my responses. They each scribbled down notes. They asked if I had any questions. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would have a decision within 5 days. It was one of the most unsettling interviews I ever went through. Could not read if I did well or not, no conversation. . I received an e-mail at the end of that time from the recruiter saying I was not being considered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer situation. Tell me why you believe you would be the best candidate for this position.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process was ok, your run of the mill basic questions. I interviewed for an assistant management position but was offered a shift supervisor position to get experience first.

Interview Questions

• What was the most surprising thing on the job description?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked how much I wanted to make and I was placed where I was going to have the opportunity to move up

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Had two phone interviews one in person with two district managers. Went out to a store location, i was dressed even more professional than them. I think it went good, dont be too nervous

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through there website and the following week the recruiter emailed me to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, she sent me another E-mail with dates to meet with 2 district managers. When I got to the interview site, one manager was asking questions and the other manager was taking notes.

Interview Questions

• All Behavioral and some customer service questions. They want real life examples!   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process included phone interview, face to face interview with 3 managers, and a coffee connection. Each interview lasted about an hour. Remember that this is a coffee business, if offered a drink take the drink.