Starbucks Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.9

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Overall, it took about one month between the date that I applied for the job, and the date that the job was officially offered to me. I was called by the Recruiter about 4 days after initially applying, we set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview went for about 20-25 minutes during which we discussed my work history, interests outside of work, accomplishments at my previous jobs, and why I decided to apply for Starbucks. The interview felt very relaxed and almost as if I was talking to a friend.

My best advice would be to always be honest. Don't worry if you cant immediately answer a question. Ask if you can come back to that subject later while you continue with the interview. When giving examples of accomplishments, DONT give vague examples like "you sold the most phones at your store". Give specifics. If you managed to reduce over time, say so and give an honest percentage of how much you helped in reducing it. If you saved your company money due to inventory management or by reorganizing a specific program, explain and how much was saved by the company. $ and %’s are a big plus. Regarding outside interests, don't give something like playing video games, or playing football with your buddies. Be honest but be imaginative. Remember that Starbucks is a community oriented company. They are all about giving back and looking out for the communities that they're in. If youre into community service, say so. Let them know what you’ve done, how the idea came up, purpose, and final outcome. When youre asked why you decided to apply, give a personal experience that you had with Starbucks. Ive been a Starbucks regular and though I didn't ask anyone what they thought of the company, I knew that they were happy. If you pass the phone interview, you will then be asked to come in for a face to face interview with two District Managers.

Below I am listing some of the questions that I was asked both during the phone interview and the face to face interview. I wont be able to remember each one but I will list as many as I can remember.
Questions :
1. Give an example where you had to deal with a difficult employee or coworker. What caused the issue? What did you do to resolve the situation? (if you can give specifics, even better. Names, specific causes, time frame, etc.)
2. Give an example where you had a conflict with a supervisor. (same questions as above)
3. Give an example of your strengths. Weaknesses. (For this one, I suggest adding what you are doing to improve your weaknesses)
4. Give an example of how you have (or would) inform employees on the tasks that need to be accomplished for the day or any directives that come down from headquarters.
5. What did you study in college? How would you apply what you learned, in the Asst. Mgr. position? (My major is not at all related to retail or hospitality. I do have management experience and luckily my major is very people oriented. So I was able to give an honest answer and how that would greatly benefit not only my performance, but also my contribution to the company.)
6. Give an example of a time that you had to have a tough conversation with someone.
7. Give an example of a time that you had to bring up a coworker's/subordinate's performance.

This is about all I can remember for now. If you make it to the face to face interview, you might be offered something to drink. Accept it but don't ask for something outrageously expensive. Keep it simple. You will be asked if you have any questions for them so my advice would be to come prepared. Prior to the interview think of any questions that you may have or something that you would like cleared up. DONT ask for what your salary will be. You can look online (and on this website) for a range of salaries for this position. Besides, the salaries are good and the benefits are very well worth it. Along with those benefits Im including working with people that actually want to be there. Trust me, its worth it.

After the interview, the DM's will excuse you, thank you for your time and will most likely stay behind to discuss their thoughts and opinions. Thank them for the opportunity. Remember to take your trash out. Remember that as an Assistant Manager youre responsible for others, not the other way around.

From here, if you are cleared for moving forward, your recruiter will submit a background check. It might take a week or two but don't worry. Youre recruiter will keep you up to date on the progress. SBUX is really good about that.

Remember, BE HONEST! You don't want to lie, you don't want to get caught in a lie, and you don't want to say you can do something and then show the complete opposite once you are working and responsible for 7-15 people. Remember, its not just your employment, salary, and livelihood at stake. It's also the partners' employment, salary, and livelihood that youre being responsible for. Don't be one of "those" managers.

Interview Questions
I thought the offer was fair since I hadn't previously worked for Starbucks.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks.

while working for the company if upper management doesn't like you even if you have been an employee for three years good luck they will most likely go with an outside hire that will quite within the year and you'll re apply.

Interview Questions
    • besides what we already ask you to do to raise food units and at home coffee sales?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

They use a standard behavior interview deck. A lot of tell me how..., They are looking for the answers to be answered in STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Give real world examples of your past accomplishments. Starbucks is very focused on the customer experience as well as the Partner experience, so give examples that correlate to these.

set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bedford, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2013.

The hiring process for this position was not a traditional process since most of the time the promotions are in house. The hardest part is finding a manage who will help you succeed and get promoted up. You will have to give examples from in store experience and leadership skills.

Interview Questions
    • why should you be given a store to manage?   View Answer
    No negation.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The interviewing process was very professional and thorough. There was excellent communication from all personnel involved from Starbucks. Responses to my questions were given in great detail and all emails phone calls or communications were returned in a reasonable amount of time. Recruited for the region was very helpful with all of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most awkward conversation had in the workplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2011.

To come in as an Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager for Starbucks, you must have management experience in hospitality, restaurant and/or retail. I was first contacted by a Recruiter based off my online application. The Recruiter than set up a phone interview between the both of us. This was an actual interview as they decide the next steps from there. I was asked questions and was asked to give my answers based on the STAR format. After passing that interview, the recruiter told me that he was going to set up an actual face to face interview between myself and two District Managers in the area. I did meet the DMs in a store and had the same type of interview format. One DM asked the questions while the other took notes on my answers. I was contacted the next day by the recruiter with an informal job offer based on whether or not my background check comes back clean. Three days later I was sent an official job offer letter from the recruiter. This whole process took just under two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to make a decision and you did not know the right answer.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a salary that I was comfortable with based on previous salaries and what I now know was the cap for the area. If you are impressive and the experience is there, they will pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in November 2010.

I had one interview with two top level executives. They asked questions based on everyday experiences within the job and how I handled it and why or what or how it was executed.

Interview Questions
    • One interviewee wanted to know how I handled a situation so I explained the scenario and she got mad that I didn't get the gossip of the situation. It was a partner (employee) situation, so it involved people she was familiar with and instead of focusing on how I made the resolve in a quick, quiet and professional manner, she wanted the guts of the story. I was disgusted with her.   Answer Question
    They said this is the typical range for ASM's and bc I have a college degree, I requested more and they said ok.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Lots of build up to be blown off a few times. Starbucks has a bunch of scripted questions for you. Odds are your manager will give the list to you ahead of time. You meet with various store managers and a couple district managers. Best case scenario: flip the script, ask them questions about the role.

Interview Questions
    • None, typical crap. Do you understand a profit and loss schedule? lame stuff   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You take it or you're totally screwing yourself over

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Very good and laid back interview process. Always handled at store level. Questions geared toward behaviors, customer service, operations, sales.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question during interview was "can you work any hours and days"? Clearly the manager did not retain or read availability provided.   Answer Question
    There was none on negotiation.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

We started with a coffee tasting. It's a coffee company so I'm not surprised that this was a part of the interview. There were a lot of scenario based questions "tell me about a time when...what did you do...what was the result" They are looking to see that you not only have a well rounded knowledge of a business, but how you deal with customer service situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were put in an unfamiliar situation. How did you handle it, what was the result?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. They interview people constantly so I was grateful for the offer.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!