Starbucks

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.9

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Overall, it took about one month between the date that I applied for the job, and the date that the job was officially offered to me. I was called by the Recruiter about 4 days after initially applying, we set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview went for about 20-25 minutes during which we discussed my work history, interests outside of work, accomplishments at my previous jobs, and why I decided to apply for Starbucks. The interview felt very relaxed and almost as if I was talking to a friend.

My best advice would be to always be honest. Don't worry if you cant immediately answer a question. Ask if you can come back to that subject later while you continue with the interview. When giving examples of accomplishments, DONT give vague examples like "you sold the most phones at your store". Give specifics. If you managed to reduce over time, say so and give an honest percentage of how much you helped in reducing it. If you saved your company money due to inventory management or by reorganizing a specific program, explain and how much was saved by the company. $ and %’s are a big plus. Regarding outside interests, don't give something like playing video games, or playing football with your buddies. Be honest but be imaginative. Remember that Starbucks is a community oriented company. They are all about giving back and looking out for the communities that they're in. If youre into community service, say so. Let them know what you’ve done, how the idea came up, purpose, and final outcome. When youre asked why you decided to apply, give a personal experience that you had with Starbucks. Ive been a Starbucks regular and though I didn't ask anyone what they thought of the company, I knew that they were happy. If you pass the phone interview, you will then be asked to come in for a face to face interview with two District Managers.

Below I am listing some of the questions that I was asked both during the phone interview and the face to face interview. I wont be able to remember each one but I will list as many as I can remember.
Questions :
1. Give an example where you had to deal with a difficult employee or coworker. What caused the issue? What did you do to resolve the situation? (if you can give specifics, even better. Names, specific causes, time frame, etc.)
2. Give an example where you had a conflict with a supervisor. (same questions as above)
3. Give an example of your strengths. Weaknesses. (For this one, I suggest adding what you are doing to improve your weaknesses)
4. Give an example of how you have (or would) inform employees on the tasks that need to be accomplished for the day or any directives that come down from headquarters.
5. What did you study in college? How would you apply what you learned, in the Asst. Mgr. position? (My major is not at all related to retail or hospitality. I do have management experience and luckily my major is very people oriented. So I was able to give an honest answer and how that would greatly benefit not only my performance, but also my contribution to the company.)
6. Give an example of a time that you had to have a tough conversation with someone.
7. Give an example of a time that you had to bring up a coworker's/subordinate's performance.

This is about all I can remember for now. If you make it to the face to face interview, you might be offered something to drink. Accept it but don't ask for something outrageously expensive. Keep it simple. You will be asked if you have any questions for them so my advice would be to come prepared. Prior to the interview think of any questions that you may have or something that you would like cleared up. DONT ask for what your salary will be. You can look online (and on this website) for a range of salaries for this position. Besides, the salaries are good and the benefits are very well worth it. Along with those benefits Im including working with people that actually want to be there. Trust me, its worth it.

After the interview, the DM's will excuse you, thank you for your time and will most likely stay behind to discuss their thoughts and opinions. Thank them for the opportunity. Remember to take your trash out. Remember that as an Assistant Manager youre responsible for others, not the other way around.

From here, if you are cleared for moving forward, your recruiter will submit a background check. It might take a week or two but don't worry. Youre recruiter will keep you up to date on the progress. SBUX is really good about that.

Remember, BE HONEST! You don't want to lie, you don't want to get caught in a lie, and you don't want to say you can do something and then show the complete opposite once you are working and responsible for 7-15 people. Remember, its not just your employment, salary, and livelihood at stake. It's also the partners' employment, salary, and livelihood that youre being responsible for. Don't be one of "those" managers.

Interview Questions
I thought the offer was fair since I hadn't previously worked for Starbucks.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

while working for the company if upper management doesn't like you even if you have been an employee for three years good luck they will most likely go with an outside hire that will quite within the year and you'll re apply.

Interview Questions
    • besides what we already ask you to do to raise food units and at home coffee sales?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

They use a standard behavior interview deck. A lot of tell me how..., They are looking for the answers to be answered in STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Give real world examples of your past accomplishments. Starbucks is very focused on the customer experience as well as the Partner experience, so give examples that correlate to these.

set salary

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The interviewing process was very professional and thorough. There was excellent communication from all personnel involved from Starbucks. Responses to my questions were given in great detail and all emails phone calls or communications were returned in a reasonable amount of time. Recruited for the region was very helpful with all of my questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most awkward conversation had in the workplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Lots of build up to be blown off a few times. Starbucks has a bunch of scripted questions for you. Odds are your manager will give the list to you ahead of time. You meet with various store managers and a couple district managers. Best case scenario: flip the script, ask them questions about the role.

Interview Questions
    • None, typical crap. Do you understand a profit and loss schedule? lame stuff   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You take it or you're totally screwing yourself over

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks.

We started with a coffee tasting. It's a coffee company so I'm not surprised that this was a part of the interview. There were a lot of scenario based questions "tell me about a time when...what did you do...what was the result" They are looking to see that you not only have a well rounded knowledge of a business, but how you deal with customer service situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were put in an unfamiliar situation. How did you handle it, what was the result?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. They interview people constantly so I was grateful for the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

I initially applied for the position online. I filled out all the needed information, attached a recent resume and submitted the application. The next day, I received a phone call from a Starbucks recruiter who asked me if I would be interested in conducting a phone interview with her. I said yes and scheduled the interview for the next evening.

The phone interview is about 15 minutes long and consists of behavioral questions. My advice is to make sure you do online research on behavioral interview questions beforehand and write out examples using the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result). The more detailed your response, the better. After that interview, the recruiter called me back to let me know that they wanted to continue with the next step in the process - an interview with two District Managers from the area in which you applied.

It took a week for the interview with the District Managers to occur. The interview took place at the regional offices. When I got there, I was greeted by one of the District Managers that would be interviewing me. She asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee. (I highly recommend that you say 'yes' to this if you get asked :-) ). I said yes and sipped my coffee while waiting on them to prepare the interview.

The interview with the District Managers was the most laid back interview I had ever had. I could tell they had a conventional sheet with questions on it to ask and record my answers, but my interview was more of "Tell me about yourself and why you want a position at Starbucks". The interview was more of a conversation between myself and the District Managers.

After the interview (which was about 30-45 minutes), one of the DM's gave me his card and let me know that they would contact the recruiter with a decision. A few days later, I got a call back from my recruiter who said that I got good feedback from the interview and that they would like to continue with the next step of the process - the background check.

The background check was the most nerve racking part simply because it was supposed to only take 3-5 days, but mine took a week due to my high school not being open during the summer to verify graduating.I had to submit a copy of a W2 for a previous job(because it was out of business) and my high school diploma. I recommend that you have back ups of W2's / paycheck stubs / high school and/or college diplomas on hand to send off to them just in case of any hiccups.

After a week, my recruiter called me back and let me know I passed the background check and made me an offer! The offer is based on your region. I immediately accepted the offer and didn't negotiate because I felt it was fair in addition to all the other perks. Training is 4 weeks long and then after that you get assigned a store. I truly feel happy with the decision I made to join such a great company!

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time in which you had to set an important goal in the past and tell me about your success in reaching it.   Answer Question
    As far as I know, you can negotiate, but I did not because the offer was fair with the market.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2013.

The hiring process for this position was not a traditional process since most of the time the promotions are in house. The hardest part is finding a manage who will help you succeed and get promoted up. You will have to give examples from in store experience and leadership skills.

Interview Questions
    • why should you be given a store to manage?   View Answer
    No negation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

-Applied online and received a call the next morning to schedule a phone interview.
    -Scheduled a phone interview the next day, which lasted a total of 45 minutes. Questions mostly consisted of "Tell me about a time when...." and reviewed my resume and qualifications.
    -After the phone interview, I was told that she would like to progress me on to the next step in the interview process which was an interview with two district managers in a local store.
    -I had the interview 2 days later. The interview lasted about an hour and started with a coffee tasting. You must be passionate about coffee and able to talk about it intelligently. Next, I was asked more behavioral based interview questions along with several questions that involved following the "STAR" model. Situation, Task, Action, Result. You must follow this format when answering each question presented to you.
    -At the conclusion of the interview, I was asked if I had any questions for the interviewers. Well of course I did! I asked several questions relating to store volume, labor analysis, financials, organizational structure, etc.
    -I applied for a Store Manager position, and later that day was offered a position as Assistant Store Manager. I happily accepted because it was a way to get my foot in the door with an awesome company that has great growth potential.

Interview Questions
    • How have you recently contributed via community outreach and what were the results of the contributions? Starbucks loves individuals who are passionate about benefiting their community!   View Answer
    Yes negotiation was welcomed and I was able to get about 4,000 more than originally offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2011.

Went to an open house interview session. Met with a super friendly and kind DM who put me at ease immediately and ask a few screen questions about my previous jobs and managerial experience. I was then told that I had selected to move on to another interview to be held with 2 DMs and I would be contacted to set up a time and date. I was contacted exactly a week later and have my interview scheduled for tomorrow. I am really excited about the opportunity and hope it all goes well,

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with an unhappy team. How did you resolve the issue and what was the result?   Answer Question