Starbucks

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Bedford, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process for this position was not a traditional process since most of the time the promotions are in house. The hardest part is finding a manage who will help you succeed and get promoted up. You will have to give examples from in store experience and leadership skills.

Interview Question – why should you be given a store to manage?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negation.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – They use a standard behavior interview deck. A lot of tell me how..., They are looking for the answers to be answered in STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Give real world examples of your past accomplishments. Starbucks is very focused on the customer experience as well as the Partner experience, so give examples that correlate to these.

Interview Question – why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – set salary

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – The interviewing process was very professional and thorough. There was excellent communication from all personnel involved from Starbucks. Responses to my questions were given in great detail and all emails phone calls or communications were returned in a reasonable amount of time. Recruited for the region was very helpful with all of my questions.

Interview Question – What was the most awkward conversation had in the workplace?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2011.

Interview Details – To come in as an Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager for Starbucks, you must have management experience in hospitality, restaurant and/or retail. I was first contacted by a Recruiter based off my online application. The Recruiter than set up a phone interview between the both of us. This was an actual interview as they decide the next steps from there. I was asked questions and was asked to give my answers based on the STAR format. After passing that interview, the recruiter told me that he was going to set up an actual face to face interview between myself and two District Managers in the area. I did meet the DMs in a store and had the same type of interview format. One DM asked the questions while the other took notes on my answers. I was contacted the next day by the recruiter with an informal job offer based on whether or not my background check comes back clean. Three days later I was sent an official job offer letter from the recruiter. This whole process took just under two weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to make a decision and you did not know the right answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a salary that I was comfortable with based on previous salaries and what I now know was the cap for the area. If you are impressive and the experience is there, they will pay.

Parsippany, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had one interview with two top level executives. They asked questions based on everyday experiences within the job and how I handled it and why or what or how it was executed.

Interview Question – One interviewee wanted to know how I handled a situation so I explained the scenario and she got mad that I didn't get the gossip of the situation. It was a partner (employee) situation, so it involved people she was familiar with and instead of focusing on how I made the resolve in a quick, quiet and professional manner, she wanted the guts of the story. I was disgusted with her.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said this is the typical range for ASM's and bc I have a college degree, I requested more and they said ok.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Lots of build up to be blown off a few times. Starbucks has a bunch of scripted questions for you. Odds are your manager will give the list to you ahead of time. You meet with various store managers and a couple district managers. Best case scenario: flip the script, ask them questions about the role.

Interview Question – None, typical crap. Do you understand a profit and loss schedule? lame stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You take it or you're totally screwing yourself over

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Interview Details – Very good and laid back interview process. Always handled at store level. Questions geared toward behaviors, customer service, operations, sales.

Interview Question – Unexpected question during interview was "can you work any hours and days"? Clearly the manager did not retain or read availability provided.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none on negotiation.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – We started with a coffee tasting. It's a coffee company so I'm not surprised that this was a part of the interview. There were a lot of scenario based questions "tell me about a time when...what did you do...what was the result" They are looking to see that you not only have a well rounded knowledge of a business, but how you deal with customer service situations.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were put in an unfamiliar situation. How did you handle it, what was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. They interview people constantly so I was grateful for the offer.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied for the position online. I filled out all the needed information, attached a recent resume and submitted the application. The next day, I received a phone call from a Starbucks recruiter who asked me if I would be interested in conducting a phone interview with her. I said yes and scheduled the interview for the next evening.

The phone interview is about 15 minutes long and consists of behavioral questions. My advice is to make sure you do online research on behavioral interview questions beforehand and write out examples using the STAR format (Situation, Task, Action, Result). The more detailed your response, the better. After that interview, the recruiter called me back to let me know that they wanted to continue with the next step in the process - an interview with two District Managers from the area in which you applied.

It took a week for the interview with the District Managers to occur. The interview took place at the regional offices. When I got there, I was greeted by one of the District Managers that would be interviewing me. She asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee. (I highly recommend that you say 'yes' to this if you get asked :-) ). I said yes and sipped my coffee while waiting on them to prepare the interview.

The interview with the District Managers was the most laid back interview I had ever had. I could tell they had a conventional sheet with questions on it to ask and record my answers, but my interview was more of "Tell me about yourself and why you want a position at Starbucks". The interview was more of a conversation between myself and the District Managers.

After the interview (which was about 30-45 minutes), one of the DM's gave me his card and let me know that they would contact the recruiter with a decision. A few days later, I got a call back from my recruiter who said that I got good feedback from the interview and that they would like to continue with the next step of the process - the background check.

The background check was the most nerve racking part simply because it was supposed to only take 3-5 days, but mine took a week due to my high school not being open during the summer to verify graduating.I had to submit a copy of a W2 for a previous job(because it was out of business) and my high school diploma. I recommend that you have back ups of W2's / paycheck stubs / high school and/or college diplomas on hand to send off to them just in case of any hiccups.

After a week, my recruiter called me back and let me know I passed the background check and made me an offer! The offer is based on your region. I immediately accepted the offer and didn't negotiate because I felt it was fair in addition to all the other perks. Training is 4 weeks long and then after that you get assigned a store. I truly feel happy with the decision I made to join such a great company!

Interview Question – Give me a time in which you had to set an important goal in the past and tell me about your success in reaching it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As far as I know, you can negotiate, but I did not because the offer was fair with the market.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

Interview Details – -Applied online and received a call the next morning to schedule a phone interview.
-Scheduled a phone interview the next day, which lasted a total of 45 minutes. Questions mostly consisted of "Tell me about a time when...." and reviewed my resume and qualifications.
-After the phone interview, I was told that she would like to progress me on to the next step in the interview process which was an interview with two district managers in a local store.
-I had the interview 2 days later. The interview lasted about an hour and started with a coffee tasting. You must be passionate about coffee and able to talk about it intelligently. Next, I was asked more behavioral based interview questions along with several questions that involved following the "STAR" model. Situation, Task, Action, Result. You must follow this format when answering each question presented to you.
-At the conclusion of the interview, I was asked if I had any questions for the interviewers. Well of course I did! I asked several questions relating to store volume, labor analysis, financials, organizational structure, etc.
-I applied for a Store Manager position, and later that day was offered a position as Assistant Store Manager. I happily accepted because it was a way to get my foot in the door with an awesome company that has great growth potential.

Interview Question – How have you recently contributed via community outreach and what were the results of the contributions? Starbucks loves individuals who are passionate about benefiting their community!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes negotiation was welcomed and I was able to get about 4,000 more than originally offered.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks Assistant Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.