Starbucks

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. Was asked a few questions, and hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called a few days after by the assistant manager and asked if I could do a phone interview. She asked a few questions: why I wanted to work there, we talked about availability and how their scheduling works. Be chatty. I explained everything really clearly. Demonstrate that you can communicate clearly and effectively while also being friendly and positive.

She called me back to come in for an interview a couple days later. The interview was really laid back (you get a free coffee and it was just in the cafe section at the table I picked to sit and wait). The assistant manager/manager in training and the store manager both interviewed, it actually made it much more comfortable than one on one. They were both awesome and easy to talk to, so I didn't hold back on any of my stories.

Tips
- Go to their website and look for their mission statements, goals, customer service policy, etc and try to fit those into your experience stories.
- for the "tell me about a time" questions, tel your story like a story. Like tour telling it to your friends. Make sure it ends positively, even if it's only the you will never make that mistake again.
- smile, duh
- be positive. Make everything a learning experience. YOU ARE A SPONGE.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed to manage a customer's expectations. Describe the situation, solution, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. We did talk in detail at the end of the interview about pay and how raises work, etc. They start at $8.10 in CO, you get tips at the end of each week (this is a busy store and she said it's about $30 a week for full time, or $.90 an hour). Performance evaluation every 6 months where you can get up to 3% raise. Automatic $0.40 raise after first 6 months.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – My manager asked me questions about previous job experience. Mostly questions about certain situations and how I handled them.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – Starbucks seems to be doing group interviews and job fairs on a regular basis where I live, and this was actually my second group interview that I was trying for. The night before, I had done some research online and compiled quite a few possible questions that could have been in the interview, and formulated answers ahead of time so I could be confident and not keep them waiting for an answer. It also allowed me to take the initiative in the group interview and answer questions first as the other two people still had to think of an answer. These are some very good questions to be ready to answer.
Why do you want to work for Starbucks? (You're guaranteed to be asked this question at the beginning of the interview)
What is your understanding of what a Barista does?
What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something incorrectly?
What would you do if you had an unsatisfied customer?
What is one of the most difficult decisions you've had to make in your job, and why was it difficult?
How would you handle down time during your shift?
How did you handle a time when you didn't want to do something?
Did you ever make a big mistake? How did you correct it?
Have you ever convinced a customer to buy a product they weren't originally intending on buying?
Give an example of a time that you received negative feedback or criticism and how you handled it.
Give an example of an unfair co-worker that you had to help and how you handled the situation.
Give me a recent example of how you uplifted a peer.
What is a great example of customer service?

These are some of the more personal questions that may or may not be in the interview, but it's good to have an answer for them prepared anyway.
What is your strongest quality?
What is your weakest quality?
How do you handle multitasking?
Can you handle a fast paced work environment?
Do you have a good memory?
What is your greatest professional accomplishment?
Where do you see yourself if five years?
How well do you function early in the morning?

Remember, if you don't get the position the first time; keep trying at it. This was my second group interview/job fair and I'd gone to at least six different Starbucks to talk to managers after applying online three separate times. I dressed in business attire and at the actual interview, handed them my resumé and at the end of the interview I also gave them a copy of the sheet I had typed up the night before of all my answers to the possible interview questions. After the interview was over I decided to wait in the Starbucks until the 4:00 time, which they said they would call us after. When I saw one of the managers that had interviewed me, I went up to thank her for considering me, and she said that she was just about to call me and say "How would you like to work with me for Starbucks?" All my patience and hard work payed off in the long run.

Interview Question – The most difficult question that was asked was one that I hadn't pre-formulated an answer for. What is one of the hardest decisions you've made in your past job and why was it difficult?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I haven't negotiated as of yet.

Lone Tree, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2009.

Interview Details – The area stores were having a hiring fair and I went in with my resume. Sat down with a manager fairly quick and had the interview right then. Was offered the job but the manager took a while to get back to me about when I would start.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Westminster, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and submitted it to as many nearby locations as it would allow. Happened to stop in with my grandma one night and asked the shift manager if they were hiring. She said they had two open positions and gave me the manager's card. I called the next day, she wasn't in. Called again and still could not reach the manager. I sent her an email as well. Called AGAIN a few days later and got a hold of the assistant manager who said they would be reviewing applications that day. FINALLY later that night the store manager called and set up an interview. She started off by asking me to tell her about myself and why I want to work for Starbucks (have a REALLY good reason why you want to work here. I didn't other than paychecks and tuition reimbursement.) The questions weren't hard but they made me very nervous, asked scenario questions like "tell me about a time you treated a coworker with fairness even though they didn't to you" and "tell me about a time you received unexpected criticism on your work." As I answered they just jotted down notes on their papers and looked like they were totally judging me. The last thing she asked was if I had any questions for her, which I didn't. She said she would get back to me by Wednesday, but of course, no call. Finally one day after I stopped caring about the job the assistant manager called and said they were going to move forward with other candidates. My advice to you is to be totally enthusiastic, focused on the interview, and act like you REALLY want this job! Have good reasons why you want it and make sure to emphasize on good customer service because this job is customer service. I'm glad I didn't get the job because I really didn't want to work for the two snobs who interviewed me. However, I did get a lot of compliments from employees and customers and a free drink out of it!

Interview Question – What motivates you?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online to several stores at once, was called in for an interview for one of the stores. I was asked about my past work experience and it seemed that was the primary motivating factor in my hiring.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2010.

Interview Details – Asked why I wanted to work there, my views on customer service, etc.

Interview Question – I was asked why I wanted to be a barista at Starbucks   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed twice for one store-at the interview first met with the store general manager and then met with a shift supervisor. I was then "recommended" to another store as they needed more workers quickly due to a large number of employees quitting. This interview and store were unprofessional, quick, was given little to know information about the company, my salary, my job requirements or my schedule.

Interview Question – Tell me about a problem you had at work and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Arvada, CO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2008.

Interview Details – I filled out an application in store and turned it into a shift supervisor. All the employees working then went on about how much fun the job is. After 4 days with no call back, I went into the store to follow-up. Manager was not in, but was kindly given a time when she would be working next. I called back in and she was unavailable. Gave me another time when she would be working next. I came back in in person then, and she scheduled a time for my interview (about 5 days later). Interview took about 40 minutes, and was done in the lobby in front of customers (I thought this was strange but I didn't mind it) and was pretty standard. 2 days later I received a call from the assistant manager asking if I would like to accept the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were working in a group or with a partner, and one person was not working hard. How did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation when you had to provide excellent customer service. How did you do so?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It did not seem like it was a negotiable pay. Makes sense since it is a entry level job, and I had no prior experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks Barista interview questions and advice in Colorado. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.