Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.2

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

After filling out online application. They will show you a list of Starbucks that are hiring about 10. WRITE EVERY STORE NUMBER DOWN!!!!!!!!! Then, CALL EVERYONE OF THEM!
Read this 2 minutes script.

"Hi, My name is ________, can I speak to your hiring manager please." If the hiring manager is not there, find out what their name is and what day and time they will be available. Find out the name of the person you are talking to and write their name down as well and thank them for their time. Then, call back when the hiring manager will be available.

If the manager is there.
"Hi, my name is ___________, I saw online that your store was hiring and I was wondering If I could stop by for no more then two minutes, to drop off my resume and cover letter. When your free of course, this way you can get a feel for me vs just seeing my name on a piece of paper."

Two things will happen, either they will state they are no longer hiring, in which case, you ask them if they know of any other stores that are hiring and what is that managers name. Thank them for their time then, repeat the script with that store.

Or they will give you a time and a day. (Mines offered to meet the next hour.) Prep A resume and a cover letter, dress up as best as you can. I wore a shirt and tie. Go in. be positive, show them you want to learn, and be honest. I told them I didnt drink much coffee, but there is a lot of coffee history they' will teach you if you ask. For fun, ask them about the black apron.

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

Interview

Met with the store manager.
    Was asked basic questions about my skill set and availability.
    Not super hard. It was my first job.
    I feel like the manager has a lot of liberty in how to handle the interview.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Applied online but didn't hear back for almost 2 months. I was on time for the interview but the interview before me was extra long so I waited. I spoke with the store a manger and he informed me that he would like to hire me and that he would contact me when he's made a final decision. Called me back a few days later and told me I got the job I just need to pass a background check. Background check took 2 weeks. Came in following week for orientation.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

I submitted the online application and 2 days later was called briefly by one of the 5 locations I applied to. We scheduled an interview that same day. I showed up 15 minutes early and the manager who had called me was dressed super casually and was working with an employee to set up some new merchandise. I offered to help, but she declined. She spent about 5 minutes doing that while I waited. The interview itself was very casual, and most of the questions were problem solving questions tailored to what I told her I do (tutoring and theatre). She was very nice, casual and friendly for the whole interview, which was about 15 minutes. She told me I would know in a few days, and a few days later she called and said they decided to go with a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• How do you get your tutoring students to respect you?   Answer Question
    • Can you name a piece of advice you learned from theatre that you still use to this day?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

if they offer you a free drink take it.
    interview is in the store and pretty laid back. be prepaired to be listened in on by current employees, they sometimes have a little say in who gets hired. try to be charismatic and while youre waiting for the manager to come out to start your interview try to make small talk with the baristas. also figure out what your favorite roast of coffee is because they will ask.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online and got called for and interview the very next day. The guy that interviewed me was very nice and said that it was gonna just a casual interview. The interview was basically just a casual conversation and him randomly asking me how I feel about different things and he hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Champaign, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

They offered me a free drink and then I waited until the previous interviewee left. It started out informally, with some ice breakers (i.e. what you like to do in your free time). The managers were very friendly and we had a short conversation about TV shows before getting into it. They asked behavioral questions -- they wanted specific answers pertaining to how you reacted in certain situations in the past. I had only done babysitting in the past but they were very adaptable with the questions, often rephrasing them to fit an academic/babysitting setting. I'm pretty nervous during interviews but they made it very comfortable and open, were honest about when they would call me back for a background check, and then called me later in the week to tell me to come in and fill out forms.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle getting important tasks done on time?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you disappointed a customer? How did you react and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you had to make a hard decision? What did you decide on and what was hard about it?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you faced serious criticism and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I applied online, and two days later I got a call from a manager for an interview. When I came into the store, I was offered a free coffee. The manager is very nice and beautiful. She asked me some basic and behavior questions, available time and transportation. Then introduced the environment of the store and some benefits. After the interview, there was a process of background checking(it took about a week).

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with some negative feedback from your partner ? Do you have any work experience? What's the customer service? Write down any equipment/sections you see behind the counter.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got a call back 2 weeks later asking if I was still interested in the job. From there set up an interview with the district manager. Then had the interview a week later. After the interview I was told I should hear back from her a week later. Never got a call to inform me of the verdict. However, I called the DM a few days later and asked if she came to a decision. She ended up saying that all the summer positions had been filled before she could talk to the store managers about giving me a second interview. Ended by saying that she'll call me back if a summer spot opens up because she thought I was a great candidate.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were like "describe a time when ___ happened." They were all situational questions to see if you would be a good fit within the company. The DM also asked about availability and store locations you're willing to work at.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Gratiot, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Fort Gratiot, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and 10 minutes later I got a call from the store manager. She wanted to clarify with me why I requested a part-time position when I had such open availability, and after I explained she told me she wanted to set up an interview. The interview was like most, with mostly situational/behavior-based questions. She wanted specific examples to answer the questions, not just generally what you would do in the situation given. The manager/interviewer also asked me about my past jobs and what I liked and didn't like about them. Be sure to have well-thought questions to ask at the end of the interview, beyond what the wage is or when you'll know if you got the job. It really helped me to prepare an answer for the example interview questions people have submitted on here for Starbucks. The interview went very well but unfortunately the location was not hiring, just preparing for when a couple of their partners leave for full-time jobs elsewhere. The manager told me she would call as soon as a position came available.

Interview Questions

• How do you build good relationships with your fellow employees?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time you did not meet a customer's expectations.   Answer Question