Starbucks

Average Difficulty
575 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Wear what you've seen Starbucks baristas wear to your interview. If you can't comply with the dress code (no tattoos visible/more than two piercings on each ear), don't apply. Be extremely quirky, but educated. Starbucks likes people with high energy.

Interview Question – How long do you plan to stay with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Barista

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – A friend of mine was hired at my Starbucks and let me know that the store manager needed to hire around 12 baristas to replace those that were going to leave to open a new store. I applied on August 1st, and my friend told me that the manager would check the following monday. About a week passed and I still received no phone call so I called the store, and it turns out that the manager was going to call me that same day because she had just finished reviewing my application. She did a mini phone interview where she asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks and we set up an interview for the following wednesday. When I got to the store, I told the barista about my interview with the manager, and after coming from the back to let the manager know, he asked if I wanted something to drink while I waited. TAKE THE DRINK! My manager actually used it for the interview. The manager had a packet of questions to ask me (which probably don't differ too much from other Starbucks locations) and it was a bit longer than I was expecting. They were pretty much all situational questions (Ex: name a time when you had to complete a project in a short amount of time). She also asked me about what I was drinking, and how I would sell it to a customer (I would recommend looking at the Starbucks menu beforehand and learning how your favorite drink is made). After the interview she asked if I had any questions, and I learned that I would be making $8.25 an hour, plus tips (which she said was on average about $1.30 an hour). She told me that the training would be intense, and that since I would be working in a drive-thru location, the hours are a little longer. She told me that she had very little positions left, but that she was very impressed by me and that I would make a great addition to the Starbucks family. I also had to give her my date of birth so that she could authorize the background check that is required of all prospective employees. About a week after the interview is when I got the call letting me know that I got the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Starbucks?
How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?
What do you do for fun?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After reading on Glassdoor that the average barista salary was $8.50-$9.00 an hour, I tried to negotiate my salary a little bit. I was very nervous about the negotiation because this is my first retail job, but the manager was very nice about it, asked me how much I wanted, and explained to me that the salary she offered me was pretty much the starting salary for every Starbucks barista in the area, and that only the baristas that have to pay for parking (like in garages or meters) are payed a little more to compensate. Either way, I don't regret asking and I recommend that everyone try to negotiate their salary!

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – I had experience in coffee shops, learned the dress code, shirts with collars.....bought the book on CD, listen to it over and over, applied for the job, I had no tattoos, the assistant manager, had tattoos from her finger to her elbow! I no longer go to Starbucks.

Interview Question – Availability is the biggest issue. I said I was avail, 24 X7, including holidays, and I wouldbe happy to work any shift. I did not get a call back......they are looking for reasons NOT to hire you.   View Answers (2)

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Interviewed with the asst. store manager. They have pre-made interview question cards, so they just grab those and flick through them and ask you questions. Look on the internet for standard interview questions and they are those. Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing. Pretty easy, they just want to make sure you're nice, not a moron can think and won't blow up on a customer who's venti triple latte has too much foam on it lol.

Interview Question – Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Ormond Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called the next day. I then went to the interview a couple days later and had a very nice and laid back talk with the manager. I was called a few days later and was hired.

Interview Questions

Barista

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online via their website to a couple of stores in my area. I called each store to check the status of my application. In two of the stores the hiring manager was never in when I called so I left my name and gave them a chance to call me back. One of the hiring managers finally called me. She did a mini interview over the phone asking about why I want to work for the company, my availability, and was ok with me being a college student. She scheduled the in person interview. I interviewed with her and another manager. They were both very nice which calmed my nerves a bit. They asked 5 STARS format question straight from a packet. The first was tell me about a time when a customer was unsatisfied with you, tell me about a situation when a coworker wasn't following policy, they wanted to know about a situation where I worked with a coworker that was unfriendly or disrespectful, a time where I had to Upsell, and a time where I received constructive criticism when I didn't know I was being criticized. I had previous experience as a barista and I made sure I threw in names of drinks and common incidences that could happen at Starbucks because they're looking for detailed answers. Overall, it was a very easy interview. I received a call back in about one hour extending an offer to work for them. The whole process took about a week and a half.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No pay negotiation

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – To be hired at Starbucks, they generally ask that you interview with two managers from two different stores - one for the location that you are looking to apply to and an additional location. They ask a lot of questions about your experience working in a team and delivering customer service. I was asked several different questions about how I have handled difficult customer situations in my past employment. The criminal background check necessary to start working with this company can take a few weeks.

Interview Question – I was asked if I was good at Tetris. This definitely caught me off-guard. I'm not sure if this is a standard question or my manager was just curious.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate my new barista salary, but every review and promotion that I have received since I have been able to negotiate my pay up from the initial offer.

Very Easy Interview

Killeen, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Monday then called. I keep calling every day until the hiring manger told me she would not be able to check until Friday. I called on Friday and she said to give her a few minuets to look over my application and then she would call me back. she called me back five minuets later and then scheduled me an interview the fallowing Monday.

Interview Question – None. Everything she asked me was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating.

Barista

I applied in-person and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I hand delivered my resume to the store manager. I was really eager to get the job and super outgoing and friendly. Told the manager I would get there at 3am if I needed to. I ended up working some opening shifts which required me to be there at 4:30am.

Barista

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later I got a call for them. They asked me to come in. I sat down and the manager asked me if I wanted a drink. It was free but for good measure, I tried to pay, and they didnt let me. They asked me questions about my job experience. Why did I want to work at Starbucks?

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation. How did you handle that situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was my first time I didn't know I could negotiate. Though now, I know you can as long as they really want you and you have awesome availability.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!