Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.3

616 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

hiring process was fairly simple. submit application and then interview. the lady that interviewed me was very nice and the time that she spent with me was a good overview of the company. overall i liked the interview process

Interview Questions
  • why do you feel that you would be a good fit for the team   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied in person and was called back for an interview a couple of days later. The interview was at one of their locations and once I arrived they offered me a drink. I met with the manager of the location and the questions were pretty basic like "Why do you want to work here?" and "How would you handle a customer in this situation?". The interview went pretty well and he said he would call as soon as they had narrowed it down. A couple days later they called and asked me to go to another location for a second interview. When I got there I was again offered a drink and sat down to wait. I waited a good 45 minutes before the manager came to talk to me and she said it was because she forgot what time my interview was at. The interview was basically the same as the first and I was told they would call in a few days after they made a decision.

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Applications are submitted online. Often people have to call several times to hear back from the store if they have submitted an application. It helps to have a reference or someone you know who already works there, but it is not required. Starbucks does not usually hire people in high school or anyone under 16.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

It was a really simple interview; I was asked why I thought I would be a fit for the company, how I would handle unexpected situations and where I saw myself within the next five to ten years. The best answer to give is to hopefully still be growing with them.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online, got a call from one the store managers about a week or 2 later. Went into the interview. Very straightforward interview questions.Why Starbucks? What are your career goals? Name a time you dealt with a dissatisfied customer?

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online, got a call to interview at a store, got called back for a second interview. Second interview was a panel interview, totally unexpected. Hired immediately after the second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online, and a few days later I received a call to come into a 1:1 interview the following week. The store manager interviewed me. I was offered a drink of my choice while we talked. The SM was very laid back and friendly. We made small talk, and I feel like the interview went well. I'm fairly certain my only disadvantage was that I'm transitioning out of an office job and am lacking a lot of customer service experience.
    Starbucks store interviews are behavioral based, mostly consisting of questions to determine how you might handle a difficult situation or problem solve. Nothing too tough, and the SM made the interview feel less daunting.
    I was also informed of a district hiring fair the following week by this SM and another store that called me about it, but I was unable to attend. I think I may hear from another store in the future, but I'm not going to wait for the opportunity if something else comes up.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how you dealt with a difficult coworker in the past.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2014.

A few days after applying online, I was called to come to a hiring event. I arrived there about 10 minutes before the event began and ordered a drink before checking into the table where the store managers in the area sat. I was then interviewed by an store manager at the location nearest to where I live, because I wasn't sure which location I wanted to work. The interview was pretty easygoing and conversational - it really felt like the interviewer valued what I was telling her as she took notes. She assured me that I didn't need to be nervous and made casual conversation that really did help me to ease up a bit. This is the best interview I've had, trying to get my first actual job. The managers are very friendly and approachable. Overall, this first interview lasted about an hour and I was told I would be called again the following week, but I was called back two days later by a store manager of another location to come in for an interview. This interview lasted about 20 minutes and it was pretty clear to me at this point that I had gotten the job; this second manager was very nice and took down my birthdate and asked me whether I would be able to fulfill the physical requirements of the job. Two days later, I received a call offering me the job, and I accepted. After a background check (which takes up to 32 hours), I will start training at a slower location before being transferred to the busier one I was hired for.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a job expectation-what happened, how did you overcome that, and what did it look like later when you met that expectation.

Describe a time when you had to make a decision without guidance.

When you've started up previous jobs, what did you do to make sure you were successful?

Tell me about a time you were put in a position where you felt that a manager's assignment was unfair. What actions did you take? What was the outcome?
        Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. New baristas start at 7.95 an hour and get a portion of the tips - about 1.30 an hour at busy locations.

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

I got accepted and put to work the next week. As I was Transferred from Peets i did not have to go through any formal interview process. All discussion was done in person and they called me to tell me my schedule for the next week.

Barista Interview

it was a very easy interview process. Got a free drink, sat down, talked and I got the job not long after. Overall the culture the interview was very similar to the culture of Starbucks