Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.3

595 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

it was a very easy interview process. Got a free drink, sat down, talked and I got the job not long after. Overall the culture the interview was very similar to the culture of Starbucks

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

I dropped my application off to a barista behind the counter, and got a call to schedule an interview a few days after! I felt very comfortable talking to the barista to whom I dropped my application off to, and also felt very welcomed when I walked into my interview later on that week! A shift supervisor interviewed me, and I got hired soon after!

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of situational/ response type of questions, but I always find that honesty is the best policy!   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Starbucks.

Everything was great. I was given a behavioral interview and hired within a couple of days. Shortly after my interview, I was introduced to everyone, and was on the floor shortly after hiring.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you were new at a job, and what did you do to break the ice with your co-workers?   View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Received a call about a week or two after I first applied. Short phone interview, just asked about my availability, nothing complicated it was more like a casual conversation. Scheduled a face to face interview at the location, was offered a drink while I waited. She explained the benefits and dress code, as well as what I would be doing if I got the job. Pretty simple, I wasn't really asked many questions, it was mostly just her talking. She was very friendly and the interview itself was very casual. At the end she said she would call within the next couple of days with an answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks.

Fairly casual. Got a free drink beforehand. I just sat with the manager and went over my resume and work experience. It was more of a friendly conversation than a Q&A format. I would've accepted the job but they were looking for people to work for the next 6 months.

Barista Interview

I applied online for about four locations and a week later i got a call back. They lady asked me a couple questions nothing too hard but being it was my first call back and i was extremely nervous, of course i didn't get the interview. "Well there's other applicants we're looking at, i'll call you if anything comes up"

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Put in my application for Barista online (was listed as "full-time"). The a call about a week later from the manager. He conducted a small interview, asking my why I was interested in Starbucks and what my schedule was. He then asked me to come in the following week for an interview. I met with him inside Starbucks in the cafe and he basically read the questions off of the papers he had. He informed me he needed someone part-time. The questions are basically to test your character and get an idea of how you act in the workplace, "What was a time you went above and beyond for Customer Service?" "When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?" "How would you deal with a co-worker you didn't get along with?"

Got a call a few days later saying he went with another candidate which was fine since I was looking for a full-time position anyway.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Applied online to 5 locations. Got a call back from the manager the same day. Scheduled an interview for 2 days after, although she called to move interview to a different store. Interview was standard Q&A like "Why Starbucks?" etc. It was fairly casual, the manager seemed to respond positively when I talked about my past experiences. She sold it well without any fanatical zeal, so I enjoyed talking with her.

Interview Questions
    • Since I don't have much work experience, she wanted me to talk about my volunteering experience (I'm a predental student). Not difficult however.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

A friend of mine was hired at my Starbucks and let me know that the store manager needed to hire around 12 baristas to replace those that were going to leave to open a new store. I applied on August 1st, and my friend told me that the manager would check the following monday. About a week passed and I still received no phone call so I called the store, and it turns out that the manager was going to call me that same day because she had just finished reviewing my application. She did a mini phone interview where she asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks and we set up an interview for the following wednesday. When I got to the store, I told the barista about my interview with the manager, and after coming from the back to let the manager know, he asked if I wanted something to drink while I waited. TAKE THE DRINK! My manager actually used it for the interview. The manager had a packet of questions to ask me (which probably don't differ too much from other Starbucks locations) and it was a bit longer than I was expecting. They were pretty much all situational questions (Ex: name a time when you had to complete a project in a short amount of time). She also asked me about what I was drinking, and how I would sell it to a customer (I would recommend looking at the Starbucks menu beforehand and learning how your favorite drink is made). After the interview she asked if I had any questions, and I learned that I would be making $8.25 an hour, plus tips (which she said was on average about $1.30 an hour). She told me that the training would be intense, and that since I would be working in a drive-thru location, the hours are a little longer. She told me that she had very little positions left, but that she was very impressed by me and that I would make a great addition to the Starbucks family. I also had to give her my date of birth so that she could authorize the background check that is required of all prospective employees. About a week after the interview is when I got the call letting me know that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?
      How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?
      What do you do for fun?
        Answer Question
    After reading on Glassdoor that the average barista salary was $8.50-$9.00 an hour, I tried to negotiate my salary a little bit. I was very nervous about the negotiation because this is my first retail job, but the manager was very nice about it, asked me how much I wanted, and explained to me that the salary she offered me was pretty much the starting salary for every Starbucks barista in the area, and that only the baristas that have to pay for parking (like in garages or meters) are payed a little more to compensate. Either way, I don't regret asking and I recommend that everyone try to negotiate their salary!

Barista Interview

Interviewed with the asst. store manager. They have pre-made interview question cards, so they just grab those and flick through them and ask you questions. Look on the internet for standard interview questions and they are those. Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing. Pretty easy, they just want to make sure you're nice, not a moron can think and won't blow up on a customer who's venti triple latte has too much foam on it lol.

Interview Questions
    • Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing.   Answer Question
    None.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!