Starbucks

Average Difficulty
557 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – I had experience in coffee shops, learned the dress code, shirts with collars.....bought the book on CD, listen to it over and over, applied for the job, I had no tattoos, the assistant manager, had tattoos from her finger to her elbow! I no longer go to Starbucks.

Interview Question – Availability is the biggest issue. I said I was avail, 24 X7, including holidays, and I wouldbe happy to work any shift. I did not get a call back......they are looking for reasons NOT to hire you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – Starbucks requires that you submit an online application, rather than applying in person. You apply via their site and can list up to 10 preferred stores. Your application is sent to the managers of those store first, then made available to other managers at a later date. In my experience, it was highly beneficial to go to the stores you applied to an ask to see the manager prior to being contacted about an interview. It helped to put a face to the name. If the stores are hiring, you will be contacted about an interview by the interested store manager. Mine took place in the back of the store and was fairly informal. My manager and I had a brief conversation (a get to know you sort of thing) then moved on to a series of situational questions. These are provided by the corporate office and I didn't get the impression that they varied among stores. They included: Tell us about a time you were late to work, what did you do? What is something you had to do for a job that you did not want to do? How did you handle it? etc. I was contacted with and offer within two weeks of interviewing.

Interview Question – All the questions were fairly straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not any negotiation. I began at local minimum wage ($8.25) and received a raise based on the regional profile after six months. After that, baristas receive a performance based raise every six months.

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details – So I went in. And they offered the drink. ALWAYS TAKE IT. Haha I learned that here, I came on here the night before. I sat down n waited for the manager. We sat down. N asked basic questions. Nothing too hard on previous work exp. And customer examples. Then availability. Then that was it.

Interview Question – When was there a time that someone wasn't satisfied with your work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 7.50 aka none

Barista

I applied online and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Got a call a day after applying to come to a district wide job fair. Sat down with the manager and another applicant for an interview but left early because they weren't looking to hire seasonal.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

Interview Details – Easy interview but a group lent to competitive nature of group. The interviewer did not have much experience interviewing. The entire interview was quick and painless. I didn't get the job because I had no coffee shop experience. I

Interview Question – Most question centered around previous employment and how that could relate to in store situations. My experience didn't match well.   Answer Question

Barista

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call from the store manager about a interview. Went in for my interview was asked the usual questions, how well do you work under pressure? what if questions.

Interview Question – Name a time where you solved a problem?   View Answer

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Typically when looking for an employee I look at availability that I need for my store. After you apply, you can call and ask for the hiring manager . When you get him or her, asking what day-part they need help will let you know right away where you can get a foot in the door, by making yourself available in that time. There's usually a phone screen with standard questions about you application, if you meet the needs of the store a 1 on 1 interview is set up. While in the interview you are asked, "Why do you want to work for Starbucks?" Think on that a second, and don't just say "for the free coffee" even if you're thinking it. You'll then be asked generally between 1-5 questions about different scenarios. At the end you'll be given the dress code, physical requirements, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you failed to meet a customer's expectation. (Why was it a failure? What was the outcome? If you had to do the same situation again would you do anything different?)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting wage is not negotiable. it is $7.80 plus tips.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Easy hire, easy interview. Met one on one and discussed your position and when to start. Most employees are very nice and overall this process was smooth. Once hired, you are trained but as to how well, it depends on location.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application, you cannot fill out applications in the store. I waited a few days and called the store I was trying to work at. Fortunately, the Store Manager answered the phone and was filing through applications when I called. I was asked a few questions about my prior work experience while he looked through my application. We then set up an interview time later in the week. While at the interview I was offered any drink I wanted and we sat in the cafe to go through the interview questions. It was a very relaxed and comfortable setting, all though it was a bit awkward not being in an area where current employees and customers couldn't overhear the conversation. After a couple minutes you will get comfortable with the laid back interview style. After the interview the manager told me to expect to hear back from him by Monday. (my interview was on a Thursday) I got a call, as promised, Monday afternoon and accepted the position. I started a few days later. The hiring process goes quickly. Once hired training begins as soon as possible and can last up to a couple weeks depending on how quickly you catch on.

Interview Question – The questions are pretty standard. I can't think of anything that was too difficult to answer. Most questions had to do with scenarios of how you would handle situations and what kind of worker you are. Pretty basic, nothing too challenging. If you don't understand the way the question is worded just ask! Most of the management I encountered were extremely friendly and willing to explain the questions further.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It seemed like all baristas start at minimum wage. Starbucks is very strict on how you submit your requests for certain hours (a form is filled out upon hire) you are able to change your availability whenever and depending on the store manager, they are very accommodating.

If considering a job at Starbucks I would definitely try and negotiate a high start pay, its worth a try, especially if you have had prior work experience in the same industry. I would definitely negotiate my terms of employment if I had it to do all over again.

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – Upon arriving to the store, I approached the barista behind the counter and informed them of my interview. One of them went to the back to let the manager know while the other offered a free drink, which I have accepted. The manager made her appearance, holding a clipboard and a blank sheet of paper to take notes on. She was cordial and straight to the point, explaining that the interview process will mainly focus on questions that will help her understand the personality of the interviewee. A few set of questions asked that I can immediately recall are, "How do you go about meeting new people?", how you organize yourself in order to tackle a busy environment that requires multitasking, whether or not you have work experience, and so forth. The manager was patient and seemed to be understanding, reminding me that it was okay to take my time with my responses to her questions. The most fun part about the interview process was asking her questions and hearing her responses to them which helps me learn a little more about the manager and the company, too. Upon wrapping it up, she had stated that she will be going over the information she had gathered of not only me, but other interviewees and will call accordingly if interested. I asked whether or not they were taking resumes and cover letters and handed them when she had responded with a yes. Overall, it was a laid back sort of interview where you are able to incorporate your interest in working for Starbucks with your response and also, expressing your personality in a general manner.

Interview Question – "How do you go about meeting new people?" My being reserved, I was momentarily stumped, though if asked next time, an answer will flow more smoothly, I'm sure.   Answer Question

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!