Starbucks Barista Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

578 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Matteson, IL
Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sherman, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2010.

Said "I need a job" with the determination of a hungry lion looking to kill a zebra and feeding his kids.

No negotiation.

Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

First, the manager called me and conducted a phone screen, asking my thoughts on the company and great customer service.Then I had two 1:1 interviews, one of them with the manager of another store (at two different locations). They were pretty intensive, with very specific questions about my experience in customer service. The atmosphere was relaxed (they both had me sit in the cafe and offered me a free drink) but I stayed focused, thinking of situations I had experienced that matched up with their detailed questions. I was then contacted by the manager a few days later offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Have you experienced an ethical dilemma at any of your past jobs?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2010.

I filled out an online application and got a phone call the next day, where the person asked me some screening questions. Very much related to how I've handled situations in the past, such as, describe how you deal with stressful situations. Tell me about a time when you provided exceptional customer service. I fumbled a little bit and took a few moments to compose my answers, I probably could have been a little more concise. But they called me back for an in-person interview, where it was more of the same. Give me an example of when you dealt with a difficult customer in a positive way, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you provided exceptional customer service   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with stressful situations?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2009.

The interview was more in depth than other entry level jobs I have applied for in the past. The one on one interview with the store manager took up the better part of an hour. Many questions were asked about how you handled specific situations in previous jobs. Also, the manager tries to get to know about you as a person, and while there is no formal personality test, the interview last long enough for the manager to get a good idea of the type of person you are. The best tip I can give anyone who is thinking of working for Starbucks is to be yourself in the interview process. Starbucks is a company that values diversity, and some traits you think may not be favorable could turn out to be strong points for you in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the situational questions were difficult, because i was nervous it was difficult to recall information.   Answer Question
    Unless you have previous experience your starting wage is pre-determined.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

First you walk into a store, they usually tell you to apply online...this is a formality that all Starbucks now require. To help your chances, you can be friendly, "outgoing," order a simple drink i.e. latte/cappuccino (not some bullsht vanilla frappa triple non skim sugar fat craap), inquire about the coffee of the day etc.. make sure to ask for the manager and inform him/her that you will be applying online. Look good and don't be shy, make a good first impression. Leave your CV/resume with the manager even though you will be essentially resubmitting it online.

Now, for the online part. It consists of reposting everything on your resume, availability, etc... and a very long and exhausting personality test. This is only to screen you so your application can get through to the manager. No one wants serial killer pedophile psychopaths making their frappa crappa lattes. Answer it as you would any personality test. If you are shy, introverted, dishonest and lazy, you will probably convey that in your results, unless you're smart - be careful there are trick questions, repeated questions to make sure there's consistency etc... I suggest just answering the questions normally if you don't get the job screw it dunkin donuts will hire you in a second.

If you passed the screening the manager will see a couple of your answers and your availability, previous employment etc...he will by no means have a complete idea of who you are, so bring your CV and your best bullsht and behavior to the interview. The managers usually follow a preset list of questions in some strange logical progression. They are atypical but understandable. As an international brand and chain there has to be some type of standardization. The manager will usually hire on gut feeling, along with satisfactory answers to the questions. Look good, as usual, smile, be friendly, easygoing, but don't look like an idiot. Don't suck up, don't have brainfarts and don't EVER mention past errors. They want to know the mistakes you made and how you handled them. There HAS to be a happy ending to all these stories or else you will be giving yourself a happy ending thinking about the job you could have gotten if you weren't so dumb.

OK, so you've got the gist, now for questions: Why Starbucks? Mention a time you were given a negative criticism and how you handled that, changed your behavior as a result etc..., Mention a time you had to plan and organize something, a big project etc.. and how you handled that, When you're new to a job, how do you communicate, reach out to other people, fit in, get to know them etc..., Mention a time you did something wrong and how you handled the aftermath of your error, Mention a time where you were asked something and didn't know the answer and how you handled that situation, and of course, tell me about yourself...the manager will ask a couple of questions about your school, your interests, activities, work ethic...why you are the way you are....All you have to do is convey to the manager that you are happy, friendly, good with customer service (very personable), but also work hard, won't be late or call in sick, and work well in a team. You have to appear mature, confident and knowledgeable. This is sound advice for any job, so the same applies here.

Personally, I think it's a load of bullsh*t that you have to go through all this just to serve coffee - I mean as long as you're not some cave animal that has never spoken to a human being before you should be fine - but these days it is what it is. Don't be stupid, you'll get the job.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland (New Zealand)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

I had to go through two sets of interviews: one with store manager and one with the area manager. Both were friendly and consisted mainly of behavioral interview questions,

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflict.   Answer Question
    Starting wages were fixed, so there was no room to negotiate.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2010.

it was my first ever interview . it was a good experience

Interview Questions
    • how can you increase the sales of starbucks?   View Answer

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2009.

Applied in person to the store manager. Filled out application and left resume. Manager called to schedule an interview. Interview was 45 minutes long. All behavioural questions following STAR method (Situation Task Action Result). Manager offered position at interview conclusion and scheduled a "First Impressions" meeting to fill out hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Follow STAR method in all answers. State the situation, the task, the action you took and the result of everything. Manager will refocus question and probe for details to get an answer in this format. Interested in how you handled customer service related situations in the past (not hypothetically) and that you show Passion in what you do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Position offered at interview conclusion. Started at base.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

I filled out an online application weeks ago, when I knew I would be moving to the area. No response. I called a couple of stores in the area, and one very helpful barista told me which specific stores in the area were hiring. (Great info!) I called THOSE specific stores and everyone told me the same thing - fill out the online application. I filled out the online application AGAIN, making sure to select the hiring stores. About 4 days after not hearing anything, I walked into one of the stores and talked to the manager. I shook his hand and told him I applied. He was super friendly and said he'd take a look at my application. He called the next day and set up an interview!
    The interview was harder than I expected; he asked a lot of situational questions that I had a difficult time answering. But all in all, it was pleasant. He offered me a job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you help out your coworkers, even when they didn't deserve it? Why did you help them out?
      How do you get things done on time?
      When was a time when a supervisor gave you unexpected negative feedback?
        Answer Question

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!