Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Matteson, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ontario, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Two interviews. One with store manager. One with gm who manages a few nearby stores. Interviews happened two weeks apart. The asked typical questions and wanted to determine if they thought you were a good fit with the coworkers there who were already employed. I don't know really. Also, one more thing, there was a long initial phone call. Our Starbucks had a drive through and they want to make sure you have a friendly voice that sounds cheerful and upbeat. Positivity!

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2014.

Interview

Typically when looking for an employee I look at availability that I need for my store. After you apply, you can call and ask for the hiring manager . When you get him or her, asking what day-part they need help will let you know right away where you can get a foot in the door, by making yourself available in that time. There's usually a phone screen with standard questions about you application, if you meet the needs of the store a 1 on 1 interview is set up. While in the interview you are asked, "Why do you want to work for Starbucks?" Think on that a second, and don't just say "for the free coffee" even if you're thinking it. You'll then be asked generally between 1-5 questions about different scenarios. At the end you'll be given the dress code, physical requirements, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed to meet a customer's expectation. (Why was it a failure? What was the outcome? If you had to do the same situation again would you do anything different?)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Starting wage is not negotiable. it is $7.80 plus tips.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

I applied online and walked into the store to meet the manager who was already interviewing other people. She told me to call her in two days to schedule and interview. I called and a worker answered and said they were busy and she'll for sure call me later that day. She never call which was very rude in my opinion.

Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Killeen, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview went great! I filled out the application online, and within a week I got a call to come in for an interview and right then and there I was hired! I was super excited to become a Starbucks Barista!

Interview Questions

• What do think the most important aspect of being a Barista is?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2009.

Interview

Applied in person to the store manager. Filled out application and left resume. Manager called to schedule an interview. Interview was 45 minutes long. All behavioural questions following STAR method (Situation Task Action Result). Manager offered position at interview conclusion and scheduled a "First Impressions" meeting to fill out hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Follow STAR method in all answers. State the situation, the task, the action you took and the result of everything. Manager will refocus question and probe for details to get an answer in this format. Interested in how you handled customer service related situations in the past (not hypothetically) and that you show Passion in what you do.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Position offered at interview conclusion. Started at base.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview

I applied at 4 different Starbucks locations and filled out an online application that took about 30 minutes to complete. The next morning I got a call from a hiring manager of one of the locations and scheduled an interview the following day. I arrived 15 minutes early and let one of the baristas know that I had an interview scheduled. She asked if I would like a complimentary drink and I asked for a tall latte. I recommend taking the offer for the free coffee to physically show the manager that you are interested in coffee! I also recommend being as friendly and personable with the current baristas because they do talk to their manager about their first impressions. All three of the baristas introduced themselves to me and I talked with one for a few minutes as she was stalking one of the shelves. When the interview rolled around, I was greeted by the manager and the process lasted about 25 to 30 minutes. Most of the questions were behavioral (ie. Give me a situation when...) which can be very hard if you do not prepare beforehand. I was called two hours later but missed the call. I called back the next day and was offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Durham, NC) in September 2013.

Interview

I filled out an online application weeks ago, when I knew I would be moving to the area. No response. I called a couple of stores in the area, and one very helpful barista told me which specific stores in the area were hiring. (Great info!) I called THOSE specific stores and everyone told me the same thing - fill out the online application. I filled out the online application AGAIN, making sure to select the hiring stores. About 4 days after not hearing anything, I walked into one of the stores and talked to the manager. I shook his hand and told him I applied. He was super friendly and said he'd take a look at my application. He called the next day and set up an interview! The interview was harder than I expected; he asked a lot of situational questions that I had a difficult time answering. But all in all, it was pleasant. He offered me a job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you help out your coworkers, even when they didn't deserve it? Why did you help them out? How do you get things done on time? When was a time when a supervisor gave you unexpected negative feedback?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Colleyville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Colleyville, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through a phone call from the store manager and asked to come in for an interview. I arrived on time, and was asked to order a drink for free (it's kind of a trick, they want to see how interested you are in coffee). The store manager and I sat down and she told me about her background and then asked me about mine (what wasn't mentioned in my resume). It was very casual and laid back. After that she proceeded to ask me a lot of situational questions, such as, "Tell me about a time..." There are pages of these questions, but they don't always ask all of them.

Interview Questions

• How have you grown the most this past year?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Starbucks (Anaheim, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Group interview, then called for 1:1