Starbucks

2.2

644 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2010.

Said "I need a job" with the determination of a hungry lion looking to kill a zebra and feeding his kids.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2009.

Applied in person to the store manager. Filled out application and left resume. Manager called to schedule an interview. Interview was 45 minutes long. All behavioural questions following STAR method (Situation Task Action Result). Manager offered position at interview conclusion and scheduled a "First Impressions" meeting to fill out hiring paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Follow STAR method in all answers. State the situation, the task, the action you took and the result of everything. Manager will refocus question and probe for details to get an answer in this format. Interested in how you handled customer service related situations in the past (not hypothetically) and that you show Passion in what you do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Position offered at interview conclusion. Started at base.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

I applied at 4 different Starbucks locations and filled out an online application that took about 30 minutes to complete. The next morning I got a call from a hiring manager of one of the locations and scheduled an interview the following day. I arrived 15 minutes early and let one of the baristas know that I had an interview scheduled. She asked if I would like a complimentary drink and I asked for a tall latte. I recommend taking the offer for the free coffee to physically show the manager that you are interested in coffee! I also recommend being as friendly and personable with the current baristas because they do talk to their manager about their first impressions. All three of the baristas introduced themselves to me and I talked with one for a few minutes as she was stalking one of the shelves. When the interview rolled around, I was greeted by the manager and the process lasted about 25 to 30 minutes. Most of the questions were behavioral (ie. Give me a situation when...) which can be very hard if you do not prepare beforehand. I was called two hours later but missed the call. I called back the next day and was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

I filled out an online application weeks ago, when I knew I would be moving to the area. No response. I called a couple of stores in the area, and one very helpful barista told me which specific stores in the area were hiring. (Great info!) I called THOSE specific stores and everyone told me the same thing - fill out the online application. I filled out the online application AGAIN, making sure to select the hiring stores. About 4 days after not hearing anything, I walked into one of the stores and talked to the manager. I shook his hand and told him I applied. He was super friendly and said he'd take a look at my application. He called the next day and set up an interview!
    The interview was harder than I expected; he asked a lot of situational questions that I had a difficult time answering. But all in all, it was pleasant. He offered me a job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you help out your coworkers, even when they didn't deserve it? Why did you help them out?
      How do you get things done on time?
      When was a time when a supervisor gave you unexpected negative feedback?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in February 2012.

Group interview, then called for 1:1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

Submitted an online interview and about 3 or so days later received a call from a manager to come to an invitation-only job fair and he asked me a few job-related questions. I showed up with 9 or 10 other people and we all stood in a line outside waiting for a 1:1 interview with one of the three managers present. After my one on one I was asked if I wanted to stick around and do a second interview. Second interview consisted of the six of us left sitting around a table with the managers. Along with the questions asked we were each put on the spot and had to "sell" a product to them. They said we'd get a call back by Friday. I was called back within an hour of leaving.
    It's a very fast process. Make sure you do a lot of research on the company website and have everything you want to say figured out. As long as you play up your availability and qualities such as being out-going, a passion for the business, or having a willingness to learn they'll most likely hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, most of the questions were situation-based.
      -How did you deal with a coworker at work who treated you unfairly?
      -Describe a time when a customer was not satisfied with your service.
      -What do you know about Starbucks? (when I got the phone call for the interview. It caught me off guard)
      -Describe a time when a coworker wasn't doing their job. What did you do to resolve this?
      etc.

Answer Question
    When a manager called to tell me I got the job she told me the pay.

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

First interview was very basic, had manager asking about availability, prefer part/full time, why you would like to work for sbux. Second interview they are looking for positive energy and personality.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most memorable experience being exposed to sales?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colleyville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colleyville, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

I was contacted through a phone call from the store manager and asked to come in for an interview. I arrived on time, and was asked to order a drink for free (it's kind of a trick, they want to see how interested you are in coffee). The store manager and I sat down and she told me about her background and then asked me about mine (what wasn't mentioned in my resume). It was very casual and laid back. After that she proceeded to ask me a lot of situational questions, such as, "Tell me about a time..." There are pages of these questions, but they don't always ask all of them.

Interview Questions
    • How have you grown the most this past year?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Typically when looking for an employee I look at availability that I need for my store. After you apply, you can call and ask for the hiring manager . When you get him or her, asking what day-part they need help will let you know right away where you can get a foot in the door, by making yourself available in that time. There's usually a phone screen with standard questions about you application, if you meet the needs of the store a 1 on 1 interview is set up. While in the interview you are asked, "Why do you want to work for Starbucks?" Think on that a second, and don't just say "for the free coffee" even if you're thinking it. You'll then be asked generally between 1-5 questions about different scenarios. At the end you'll be given the dress code, physical requirements, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you failed to meet a customer's expectation. (Why was it a failure? What was the outcome? If you had to do the same situation again would you do anything different?)   View Answer
    Starting wage is not negotiable. it is $7.80 plus tips.