Starbucks Barista Interview Questions & Reviews

576 interviews

2.3

576 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
  • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

A friend of mine was hired at my Starbucks and let me know that the store manager needed to hire around 12 baristas to replace those that were going to leave to open a new store. I applied on August 1st, and my friend told me that the manager would check the following monday. About a week passed and I still received no phone call so I called the store, and it turns out that the manager was going to call me that same day because she had just finished reviewing my application. She did a mini phone interview where she asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks and we set up an interview for the following wednesday. When I got to the store, I told the barista about my interview with the manager, and after coming from the back to let the manager know, he asked if I wanted something to drink while I waited. TAKE THE DRINK! My manager actually used it for the interview. The manager had a packet of questions to ask me (which probably don't differ too much from other Starbucks locations) and it was a bit longer than I was expecting. They were pretty much all situational questions (Ex: name a time when you had to complete a project in a short amount of time). She also asked me about what I was drinking, and how I would sell it to a customer (I would recommend looking at the Starbucks menu beforehand and learning how your favorite drink is made). After the interview she asked if I had any questions, and I learned that I would be making $8.25 an hour, plus tips (which she said was on average about $1.30 an hour). She told me that the training would be intense, and that since I would be working in a drive-thru location, the hours are a little longer. She told me that she had very little positions left, but that she was very impressed by me and that I would make a great addition to the Starbucks family. I also had to give her my date of birth so that she could authorize the background check that is required of all prospective employees. About a week after the interview is when I got the call letting me know that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?
      How would you handle a dissatisfied customer?
      What do you do for fun?
        Answer Question
    After reading on Glassdoor that the average barista salary was $8.50-$9.00 an hour, I tried to negotiate my salary a little bit. I was very nervous about the negotiation because this is my first retail job, but the manager was very nice about it, asked me how much I wanted, and explained to me that the salary she offered me was pretty much the starting salary for every Starbucks barista in the area, and that only the baristas that have to pay for parking (like in garages or meters) are payed a little more to compensate. Either way, I don't regret asking and I recommend that everyone try to negotiate their salary!

Barista Interview

Interviewed with the asst. store manager. They have pre-made interview question cards, so they just grab those and flick through them and ask you questions. Look on the internet for standard interview questions and they are those. Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing. Pretty easy, they just want to make sure you're nice, not a moron can think and won't blow up on a customer who's venti triple latte has too much foam on it lol.

Interview Questions
    • Stuff like "tell me about a time where you went above any beyond..." that kind of thing.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ormond Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ormond Beach, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and was called the next day. I then went to the interview a couple days later and had a very nice and laid back talk with the manager. I was called a few days later and was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Typical "what have you done in so and so situation" questions.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Starbucks?   View Answer

Barista Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Starbucks.

I hand delivered my resume to the store manager. I was really eager to get the job and super outgoing and friendly. Told the manager I would get there at 3am if I needed to. I ended up working some opening shifts which required me to be there at 4:30am.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Killeen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied online on Monday then called. I keep calling every day until the hiring manger told me she would not be able to check until Friday. I called on Friday and she said to give her a few minuets to look over my application and then she would call me back. she called me back five minuets later and then scheduled me an interview the fallowing Monday.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiating.

Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

To be hired at Starbucks, they generally ask that you interview with two managers from two different stores - one for the location that you are looking to apply to and an additional location. They ask a lot of questions about your experience working in a team and delivering customer service. I was asked several different questions about how I have handled difficult customer situations in my past employment. The criminal background check necessary to start working with this company can take a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was good at Tetris. This definitely caught me off-guard. I'm not sure if this is a standard question or my manager was just curious.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate my new barista salary, but every review and promotion that I have received since I have been able to negotiate my pay up from the initial offer.

Barista Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

I applied online and about a week later I got a call for them. They asked me to come in. I sat down and the manager asked me if I wanted a drink. It was free but for good measure, I tried to pay, and they didnt let me. They asked me questions about my job experience. Why did I want to work at Starbucks?

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation. How did you handle that situation?   View Answer
    It was my first time I didn't know I could negotiate. Though now, I know you can as long as they really want you and you have awesome availability.

Barista Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

I applied an application online. Was called in maybe 2 days later for an interview. I was there a few minutes early. I was offered a complimentary drink while I waited, as the manager was interviewing someone else. The interview was fairly simple.

Barista Interview

interviewed at Starbucks in October 2012.

I submitted an application online and was called roughly a week later. The manager set up my interview in that call. The interview was at the Starbucks location. About two days later I was called back with the job offer. It was my first ever interview and it didn't seem very intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • If you have no prior job experience (like me), have a life experience story ready that exhibits your ability to work well with others and take leadership.   Answer Question
    It was my first job, I was happy with my slightly above minumum wqge pay.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!