Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.2

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online, got a phone interview after several days, had a face to face interview with manager of store and then another interview with another manager of different store but for the same position.

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

I submitted a paper application in store to the manager. It was then followed up with a phone call to set up an in person interview. The interview was one on one with the store manager. It lasted about 15 minuted and at the end of the interview I was told I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to connect with customers about their coffee experience   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

applied online. Walked in at least an hour early and bought my own drink, the manager picked up the tab for my sandwich since i already bought my drink. The whole thing as was more like a casual conversation than an interview for a job conducted on the floor, no back office no seclusion from the hustle and bustle of the Starbucks environment. The manager was kind enough to not only ask a few telling questions but give me an exact time when he would call me on the monday following no later than 17:00 (5:00 PM)

Interview Questions
    • What are you look for in this job?   View Answer
    • what was a time when you fell short of a customer's expectations?   View Answer
    no negotiation

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

I applied online. I was called the next business day and asked if I could come in for an interview later that week. I arrived about 10 minutes early. I told the person on register that I was there for an interview. They offered me a free drink. A few minutes later the assistant store manager came out and we began the interview. The interview actually began early and was fairly short overall. I was asked between 5 and 10 behavioral questions. The questions were geared towards having had a job with customers in the past. After the interview I was told I would hear back next week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a customer was not satisfied with the service you provided.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

Was called by a manager and invited to a hiring fair. Only about 6 people showed up. I interviewed with two store managers and was treated very nicely. Asked a lot of behavioral questions which were all pretty easy. They seemed to be more interested in how much I knew about Starbucks as a company rather than the behavioral questions. I asked them a few questions about what is is like to work with the company and they seemed to love that as well.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know how much a Starbucks employee make?   View Answer
    No negotiation at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2015.

It was a nice day so the interview was done outside. The manager introduced himself, and I to him. He wanted to first know a little about me, then we got to the actual interview. Instead of asking what if questions, they give you a situation and have you tell about a real life experience that involved the said situation. If you couldn't recall anything dealing with it, they would ask you hypothetically.
     Few days after the interview, I got a call from the manager and they formally welcomed me to Starbucks as an employee. He then asked me if I could come in and work the next day at 8am and fill out papers.

Interview Questions
    • When is a time that you helped out a co-worker that you didn't particularly care for and why?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Two Interviews
    I walked in to ask if they were hiring, and a shift supervisor asked if I had completed an application. I told her I have, and it's been around two weeks now, so I decided to ask in person.
    She told me her manager isn't in at that moment but she will let her know.

I received a phone call four hours later, and it was the manager calling me to schedule an interview. The interview went smooth, I was offered a drink, I declined though, and waited for about 20 minutes. Taking out my phone to check the time was tempting, but I had a feeling I was being tested.
    The manager was super nice, and she asked me basic questions-- where do I go for college, what do I want to do in five years, how will I make their Starbucks a better place, how can I contribute, and I was told to wait for another call a few days later for my second interview.

She called me back indeed, and it was to schedule my second interview. It was set two days from the call, and I arrived over 30 minutes early, but waited another 30 minutes for the other store manager to come over to interview me.

The other store manager was also very kind, and she asked me about my school, hobbies and how I can make Starbucks better. She also asked for my favourite drink and to describe it. Very short interview as well. I was later expected to receive another call two weeks later because the store has four people in training currently so I had to wait. The call came, and I was on my way for the background check and less than two weeks after it passed I was starting my training.

Interview Questions
    • How to make Starbucks a better place; better than what it currently is.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

very nice, she allowed me to have a drink. she also gave me my first job. Asked me about past work experience and asked a lot of scenarios (for example if you saw this happening what would you do..)

Interview Questions
    • A lot of scenario questions based on what I would do if....   Answer Question
    quick and easy

Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

They only talked with me for about 10-15 minutes and it was out on the floor with customers. It seemed unprofessional and rushed. I had plenty of experience working at a coffee shop previously as a barista but Starbucks thought that was a negative. They want clean slates that they can mould at their '8 week training bootcamp'.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Starbucks has a very detailed interview process, even for just the entry-level baristas. When I met with a store manager, she had a detailed guide to follow that all seemed to relate back to how well I would be able to provide the Starbucks experience a.k.a. "surprise and delight" the customers. I felt like my interviewer really got to know me and cared about what I had to say. Not what I expected at all.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very experiential-focused questions, needing to recall very specific instances which I found somewhat difficult.   Answer Question