Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

It was super laid back, and asked a bunch of questions about previous situations and how you handled them. Some of the questions were a little tricky but they are the average and expected questions. "Why do you want to work at starbucks?"

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you left a customer dissatisfied.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Starbucks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was just out of college and looking for a job to tie me over until I found a full-time professional job. The online application allows you to apply to multiple stores in a geographic area. I applied to a few in the the San Francisco downtown area based on the recommendation of a friend who was employed at a nearby location. The location I ended up working for wasn't on my original list, but the store manager got my application from nearby managers I applied with. The store manager I worked for was incredibly direct, and I really appreciated that about her. There was no room for nonsense; everything was efficient.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   1 Answer
    • Are you available for opening shifts that begin at 4:30am?   1 Answer
    • When are you going to get a real job?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Interview

Very down to earth manager. Employees were welcoming. Relax feel and atmosphere. It lasted about 15-20 minutes, it was very personal and comfortable. Heard from the manager a day later with all my training times available and how my week would look like. Paperwork took an hour or so, not long.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was very honest and open about my hours and how it would coincide with my class schedule because I am a college student. My manager was very open and able to work around my schedule and give me the amount of hours I needed.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

It was supposed to be a group interview however, no other candidates arrived to the interview. The store manager asked a series of situational and behavioral questions that are commonly asked for these kinds of positions. Overall, it was fairly easy and pleasant.

Interview Questions

• When were you faced with a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

Not too taxing. Pretty easy as long as you've worked in the service industry. Basically, they're looking to see if you work hard and basically that you're not mean or inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked at a coffee shop before? How would you treat a customer in x situation?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

The interviewers were rude I was constantly interrupted so they could speak to their friends they lost my application and there were a lot of eye rolls it was extremely unprofessional with constant interruption I waited an hour to be interviewed. It felt more like an interrogation than an interview. Even if offered the position I will not except it . If that was the interview I don't even wanna know what working there is like. First they told me I was elaborating too much then turned around and said not enough this was just the biggest unorganized interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• tell Me a time you received negative feedback and how did you take it?   Answer Question
    • How did you communicate with your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application online. The day later, I received a message to set up an interview. Returned the call the next day as it was late when I received the message. The employee who answered the phone told me that he would not be back in until the next day. I left a message that I was returning his call in regards to setting up an interview. The next day comes and I receive a call around 10 in the morning. Spoke with him on the phone for a couple minutes, and we agreed that I would come into a different location where he was helping another manager in the afternoon that same day. Came to the location a couple minutes early. It was just coming up on Frappuccino Hour, so everything was a little hectic... Told the girl working the register who I was here to see. She told me she would go in the back to get him and offered me a drink. I accepted the drink offer. Waited for the manager to come out, and it took about 15 minutes. He came out, was very friendly and easygoing and asked me if I got my complimentary drink, which I did. We went outside to sit down and do the interview where it was a little quieter. We talked for a couple minutes, he thanked me for coming in on such short notice, and asked me if I had any work experience. I replied that I have no formal work experience other than a few occasional jobs for neighbors here and there. We talked a little bit about my schedule. The manager was very nice, and flexible. At this point, he informed me that I was hired! He said that he really liked my personality, that I was friendly, smiled a lot, and seemed lie I would be an outgoing person, perfect to work as a barista. He made sure to tell me that the job can be stressful, and might involve cleaning here and there, and if I was okay with that. I replied that I was fine with that. Next, he made sure to get my birthdate so he could run my background check. Now, since the manager had little experience with hiring a minor, we tried to figure out what my scheduling can entail. He said that he was going to do a little research on child labor specifics. He told me to make sure to get my work permit completed which has to be filled out with him. I was told that I will receive a call once he completes my background check to tell me when to come in for my 2 hour orientation and to start scheduling me! Some points to make sure that you do are; Be very friendly, cheerful, and make sure to SMILE! These are all qualities that Starbucks wants in their baristas! Also, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to take the free drink! You will be selling the product after all...

Interview Questions

• Do I have any prior work experience?   1 Answer
    • Are you aware that this can be a hectic job, and might involve you having to clean something occasionally?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bonney Lake, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Bonney Lake, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Very friendly manager, easy to connect with. Laid back interview, asked basic questions such as 'How are you with multitasking'. Warm and inviting, didn't feel put on the spot although it was still an engaging conversation.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle rude customers   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and then a few days later I called that location and asked if they were hiring. They said that they were, and wrote down my name for the hiring manager. A few days after that, I hadn't heard anything, so I went into the store and handed in a resume. You are not sure whether or not the hiring manager will be there, so it is important to look professional. He was not there in my case, but I gave it to the shift manager and introduced myself, and she said that she would post my resume on a board for him when he came in. About a week later I got a call asking if I wanted to come in for an interview. He asked a few basic questions, like why I wanted to work at Starbucks, previous experience, etc. Then we set up an interview for the next day. I wore heels, dress pants, and a navy button up shirt, pinned my hair out of my face and wore natural makeup. I got there about 10 minutes early, and they made me a free drink. I sat and waited while he finished an interview with another girl. I was really intimidated, but I tried to feign relaxation, and drink my coffee and NOT play on my phone. He came over and introduced himself. He gave me the outline of an the interview, which consisted of a few basic personal questions, than about six behaviors questions, which were formatted as "Explain a time when you did...." trying to see how you handled that situation. They want a specific example, not a general statement, so I would ponder that ahead of time. It lasted about 40 minutes, it was very relaxed and conversational, with plenty of sidetracks. But on your answers, keep them concise and to the point, but if small talk or questions lead off on a bunny trail, so be it. Make sure to ask a few questions. I would research a few questions, because it makes you seem curious and wanting to learn. They will probably be able to tell that you did this ahead of time, but it will show that you're prepared. The last one I asked what the next step for me in the application process would be, and he offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you felt that someone you worked with disrespected you or didn't treat you fairly?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview

The interviewer did not ask me any personality-based questions and was only concerned with availability and behavioral questions. Did not seem interested in me as a person, just with how fast I would be able to work to produce the most drinks during a shift. I think it depends on what the hiring manager is like because my friends were asked only personality-based questions (what are your strengths/weaknesses and how well do you work in a team).

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you were criticized for a task you performed?"   Answer Question