Starbucks

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2010.

Interview Details – There was a brief phone interview before the actual in-store interview. The questions were very basic and not difficult to answer at all. The individual performing the interview was the store manager and was very informative about his/her expectations regarding performance. Additionally, there was a final interview with the district manager about my own personal expectations.

Interview Question – Would you give someone you knew free coffee?   View Answer

Shift Manager Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and was contacted via phone to come in for an interview the following day. The interview was standard and lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Question – I was not asked anything difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was decided that I would start at the company as a barista in order to learn how the company functioned from the ground up. This would have been an excellent strategy had the training I received been anything more than a joke.

Walpole, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview followed by brief in person interview.

Interview Question – Not very difficult and I didn't find anything to be unexpected.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift Manager Interview

Shift Manager
Wakefield, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

Interview Details – Went to a mass hiring event where I was greeted by many staff members. After a 1st interview with standard questions, I was asked to stay for a 2nd, with a little more specific questions and after that process, I was given an offer.

Interview Question – Challenge to overcome in the workplace   Answer Question

Barista
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

Interview Details – Very casual, dressed as if I were working there with a coat on. Manager asked all about my life and about 5 general interview questions ( Name a time in your life you...) I was offered the position during the interview.

Interview Question – Name a time in your life you received unexpected feedback for your something you had done.   Answer Question

Saugus, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I Interviewed about 3 times, it was less than typical. Most people will interview twice and get an offer. This manager was a little less than productive.

The best manager I had would have the ASM interview and then if the candidate sparked their interest the SM would then interview. It seems fairly standard.

Interview Question – I don't have a most difficult or unexpected question but the format of the interview is what they call SARI: Situation, Action, Result, Interesting fact. Any question asked goes something like, "describe a situation when you had to deal with a difficult customer, or employee". Answer it in less than a couple minutes. Describe the situation, feel free to use names, they won't know these people, state what you did, what the other person did, and for the interesting fact that is basically what they take out of the situation and could be a follow up question based on something you said. It is easier to state something like, " if I had to do it again, I would probably approach it this way..."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating. You start at 8$ for barista and after 6 months you get bumped to 8.80. Shift Supervisor is a little higher.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2008.

Interview Details – Recruited without submitting a resume

Interview Question – Do you even want to be here?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation... The offered and I said yes.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Interview Details – You apply online at the companies website and you choose which stores in your area receive your application. If a store manager likes your application, they contact you. In my case it took only a couple days when I was contacted (by phone). I had an interview set up for the next week. They interview you in the store at an available seating area. They try to make it as comfortable for you as possible: offer you a drink of your choice and try to just blend in with the crowd in the store, just like as if you were having a conversation. The manager will go over your resume with you, and your previous experience and how it applies to this job. They ask you questions like, "How do you work under pressure?", "Are you comfortable doing sales?", "How do you feel about working undesirable shifts(like nights and weekends)?". A lot of general questions. Usually the longer the interview, the better of a chance you'll get hired. My manager did an interview right before mine, and it was only a few tables down. The interview was not only shorter than mine, but you could tell by the expression on his face that mine was going much better than the previous. They ask if you're comfortable with the dress code, (black or tan pants, white or black collared shirt), if you have any exposed tattoos that cannot be covered, or more than I think 3? piercings per ear. Also no facial piercings. They for sure love hip, young people. If you look the part and have decent work history, that's a great start. After the interview, I'd say about 20 minutes, the manager says they'll be in contact with you within a week with their decision. The store I interviewed at was very busy, so he said if he wasn't in contact by then, feel free to call. That was the case with me, so I called after a week. He was still in the decision making process. But, a few days after that I received a call that I was hired! They call your references to verify, and if that passes then you're good. They started me one week after that call. There's not a lot to prepare for this interview. You don't have to dress very formal. I wore tan pants with a navy blue cardigan and appropiate footwear, no sneakers or sandals. In my case, I had to cover up my tattoos. My advice is just be very friendly and outgoing, and be very attentive to what they say. Managers love when you make eye contact, that's one if the things they're told to look for. Express interest in the company and for the people who work there. Don't be afraid to ask questions! And always answer with an explanation, not just a yes or no. If they ask "Have you worked in a busy environment like this before?" (Which I was asked) Don't just say yes. I said, "Yes. When I was a cook, we had a line that was just about as long as yours here and it was always filled with tickets. I am very experienced with focusing in on the task at hand and servicing it in a timely fashion, especially in a busy environment. Multi-tasking is a specialty of mine." Give a little more information on your experience and traits without making their ears bleed. Overall, nothing to stress about! Just relax and listen.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked in a stressful or busy environment before?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There's not a lot to negotiate. They ask if you want full-time or part time, I was offered full-time for the summer, but needed part time in the fall for school. I just mentioned that in the interview, and and that was that. No problems or conflicts. They tell you what they start you at for pay, and ask if that's a problem. I'm not sure if you can negotiate your starting rate. It depends on your experience. Other than that, everything is cut and dry.

Boston, MA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2009.

Interview Details – I had been on a job search for months to no avail, so when I heard they needed someone at this location (though not the closest one to home it was something), I applied. I heard from the manager within a couple of days and went in for an interview which had three parts:
First, I interviewed with the assistant manager who said he was training to take his boss's job. He read straight from the interview paper, nodded at my answers and wrote comments down. At the end he said I would be called in a couple days for my second interview with the store manager.
I was asked to come back the next day to meet with the manager. (They really needed full time people with open availability, which I offered.) His interview was much more smooth. It was like talking to a real person! We got along well, and he liked me so much that he said he wanted to fast-track my interview to the third step and have me meet with the District Manager later that afternoon, which usually took a few more extra days. Since he happened to be in town and in a nearby store, we were able to set that up to happen only a couple of hours from the time we were done.
I met with the district manager and we basically talked about nonsense, which was very relieving. Usually DMs can be pretty intense or intimidating, but as I was sitting talking to him, I felt as if I were in a great movie. After we talked a bit about our favorite movies, he asked me what I thought was important and why I wanted to work at Starbucks. I guess he liked my answer because after that, he turned to my manager who had happened to walk in and said, "I don't need to hear anymore, I like her."

I liked the interview process and was very thankful at how accelerated it seemed to be because I really needed a job.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's this smooth for everyone. My experience in-store is that if they don't like someone, they usually interview them and don't call back. Often times the interviewees come back in the store asking for a manager (who is usually not there) to ask about their status.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you were asked to do something you did not want to do and how you dealt with this.   Answer Question
  • Explain a time you were late to work and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

Starbucks Store Manager
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for a Store Manager position in the Boston area. I was contacted by a recruiter in Texas a few weeks after I completed the online application and skills test. The skills test is fairly new, I think. It took about an hour and was a mix of mathematical questions related to a P&L report, situational questions, personality questions, and information about the company. The recruited set up a phone interview with me. He asked me general questions, as well as several behavioral questions, and it took about 30 or more minutes. I also had to turn in a completed associate (peer) referral form, but to my knowledge Starbucks never contacted any of the people on my list. The phone interview went pretty well, and about a week later the recruiter requested that I interview with a District Manager in the Starbucks HQ near Boston. I interviewed with a DM and Boston Store Manager. The in-person interview took about 40 minutes and was strictly behavioral questions. I found it odd that neither person asked me anything about me personally, although they did ask, "Why Starbucks?" I had just moved to the area from Seattle and thought that might be a point of conversation. I have been on the giving end of a behavioral interview many times and find that to make it a normal process, you have to ask some non-BI questions. I admit that I'm not 100% stellar on BIs, and even could not come up with an example for one question, but I have successfully gotten positions that use BIs in the past. The DM came across as cold and unengaged, but I'm sure it's just the BI format. About a week later, the recruiter in Texas phoned to say that they had a new position in Auburn, and wanted me to interview with the District Manager for that area. I explained that I am looking for work in the Boston area, and that Auburn is about 40-50 miles west of there. I asked if there was anything in Boston and he told me that he would check again with that DM and get back to me. He has never gotten back to me. Here's the time line:
10/27 - applied online
11/11 or 11/13 - Recruiter contacted me via email
11/17 - Phone interview
11/20 - Recruiter emails me to say they want to set up an in-person interview for week after Thanksgiving
12/01 - I contact recruiter regarding in-person interview as he hadn't contacted me, we set up date
12/08 - In-person interview
12/11 - Call from recruiter regarding position in Auburn
I am rating this a negative experience only because of the lack of follow through. I understand that everyone is getting inundated with applications, but if you have met already done a phone and in-person interview, I would expect them to at least call and say, "No, we have no positions in Boston for you." Also, the whole process seemed very long and strung out.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had to balance a customer request with business.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.