Starbucks

2.4

155 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online. Got a call within a week. Always accept the drink even if you just want a tall iced water. I suck at interviews and the manager was the nicest ever. She made me feel comfortable and the interview went great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2014.

Starbucks requires that you apply online. You can apply at a maximum of five locations at once. If you want an interview make sure to call the location(s) you want to work at! This is of the utmost importance or the likelihood of getting an interview will be slim to nonexistent.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to ensure that people were following certain rules.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to take a leadership role.   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to apply at Starbucks specifically?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate anything. Being my first job I did not have any negotiating power. It is a part time position so I am paid hourly. Compensation is not a problem.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
    -Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
    -Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
    -Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
    -What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
    -What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
    -What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
    -Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
    -Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer
    Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I submitted my application online, through the Starbucks website. It was easy and simple, but takes awhile, like most online applications do. I was able to pick 5 locations at which I was willing to work. I received a phone call a day or two later from Chris, a Starbucks Manager. He wanted to know if any other Starbucks Managers had contacted me. They hadn't.
    I interviewed in person soon after. The interview was informal - in the store at the tables with customers all around. It is rather nice that they offer you a free drink when you interview. The questions were basic. Why do you want to work for Starbucks? Because it's reliable and I can bike to it and coffee sounds fun and smells nice. Are you only interested in working for chain stores? No. Why is your availability only between these hours/do you even know what our store hours are? No I don't, actually! Is anything going to show up on your background check? No, there is nothing there. This question seemed to be his biggest concern. Starbucks conduct the background check soon after.
    I thought I interviewed horribly. I couldn't always hear the Manager, because the store is loud. I was slightly surprised to get the job - I guess they just want to know that you're not crazy and you're reliable. In this expensive area, it seems that these minimum wage positions may not have the largest worker pool to chose from.

Interview Questions
    Uh, as far as I know, there is no negotiation phase to a minimum wage Barista position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

I was set on getting hired at Starbucks but also aware that there was supposed to be a pretty complicated process to get through, so I was wary? Anyways, I'm 16, this would be my first job, and the interview process was exceedingly easy for me, though I think it might have been because they had just promoted a manager and were probably looking for a barista. I HAVE TO STRESS THIS: make sure to CALL BACK. Starbucks has like 192034809 different applications just sitting around and if you call every three days and make sure to talk to the manager you'll be sure to get an interview (or that's how it was in my case).

I called the first time and the manager wasn't in, but they took down my name and said she would call back. When she didn't, I called three days later and the manager answered – she actually asked me a few questions there (like a mini-interview over the phone) mostly really basic things like my availability, etc. and then scheduled an interview with me literally the next day. I just went in, dressed in a button down and nice khakis, looking really presentable and answered all her questions with a smile. She basically told me I was hired on the spot pending a background check, no second interview needed. It's really simple, just be sure to be genuine! The managers are really kind and accommodating. The interview questions are all basic STAR (situational) questions so just use your volunteer service to back it up.

ALSO, GET THE DAMN DRINK. I have no idea why you wouldn't, but.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been in a situation where you had to take the initiative? And why did you? (or something like that!)   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Starbucks?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Two days after submitting my application, I got a call to set up an interview. Interview was 2 days after that. Was told I would hear back within 5 days. Interviewer was friendly and polite, but arrived about 10 minutes late. Drink on the house. Questions were pretty standard and were used to gauge how you respond to certain situations. Nothing really about experience.

Interview Questions
    • Right off the bat they want you to commit to 1 year. I wasn't prepared for that question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Applied online, got a call the next morning. Short phone interview and was then invited in for another interview in store. Went in the next morning and did the interview with the store manager which ended with her asking me for information to do a background check with. She didn't really seem to care about much other than the fact I had completely open availability, but I did talk up the company alot just to make sure she knew I wanted to work there (I think this helped a lot). Anyway. this was all on wednesday, she said she'd call on friday. She didn't call on friday so I called to follow up and they told me that manager goes between different stores so they didn't know when she'd be back. She eventually called on monday to offer me the job which I took.

Interview Questions
    • STAR format. Typical interview questions, nothing too crazy.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they pay a little above minimum wage and I just took that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Generally pretty easy interview process. They are mainly looking for someone who will be good with customers, very friendly and is willing to do a good job.

If you are serious about getting a job at Starbucks. Apply online and visit the stores you applied to in person and introduce yourself to the manager. Make a great impression and you will have a good chance.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

I applied online to a couple different locations. I was called a week or less afterwards asking me to come in for an interview for the barista position. It ended up being a group interview for 4 stores (they are all on the same block). I interviewed with two other people and by a different store manager than the one I had talked to and who I would work for. It was probably about half an hour to forty five minutes. He asked us questions from our application, talked about his experiences, and what Starbucks is and what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability? (most be pretty similar for the next 6 months)   Answer Question
    Wage offered was $8.25 but when I was hired, wage was going up July first in California so, it is going to be $9.50. I am on track to be a shift lead in a month or two after my barista training as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call for an interview a week later. The interview was very laid back and the questions were mainly aimed towards personality and previous work experience. They offer a free drink, but I didn't accept it because I thought it would be rude for some reason (don't be dumb like me, take the damn drink offer!) After it was finished he said he'd call me the next day. He didn't call the next day, so I decided to follow up on the interview two days later and he ended up offering me a position!

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when someone was unhappy with your quality of work.
      Do you think you'd be intimidated with being the newbie of a tight knit corporation?
      Do you think positive reinforcement is important in the workplace?

Answer Question