Starbucks

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – Starbucks requires that you submit an online application, rather than applying in person. You apply via their site and can list up to 10 preferred stores. Your application is sent to the managers of those store first, then made available to other managers at a later date. In my experience, it was highly beneficial to go to the stores you applied to an ask to see the manager prior to being contacted about an interview. It helped to put a face to the name. If the stores are hiring, you will be contacted about an interview by the interested store manager. Mine took place in the back of the store and was fairly informal. My manager and I had a brief conversation (a get to know you sort of thing) then moved on to a series of situational questions. These are provided by the corporate office and I didn't get the impression that they varied among stores. They included: Tell us about a time you were late to work, what did you do? What is something you had to do for a job that you did not want to do? How did you handle it? etc. I was contacted with and offer within two weeks of interviewing.

Interview Question – All the questions were fairly straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not any negotiation. I began at local minimum wage ($8.25) and received a raise based on the regional profile after six months. After that, baristas receive a performance based raise every six months.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and gave my resume to the manager in the store in person. The interview is a two step process (two interviews) but my manager needed to hire, so she brought in another store manager to get both interviews out of the way in one. It was very quick, just 5 minutes. Very simple questions, mostly about me.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – As an experienced retail manager for several companies I came in for a shift supervisor interview. It went well as a standard interview, all queries were behavioral based. After interview was complete I was told that they never hire at shift supervisor level and that I must start off as a barista at minimum wage as an offer, and that maybe after six months I'd have to opportunity to advance. I was a little appalled but kept a pleasant demeanor, I've been management for 10+ years.

Interview Question – Explained the entire staff was laid off for winter, and now that summer was in full swing they were short staffed. The honesty of this foreshadowing threw me off. They asked for my availability.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had other offers that were better

Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Starbucks in March 2011.

Interview Details – Starbucks interviews with behavioral based questions, so questions like "Tell me about a time when..." The best way to prepare is to have multiple scenarios you can speak confidently about. Try not to ramble, the best way to answer is state the situation, what needed to be done, what you did, and the results.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss/upper management   View Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks
Western Springs, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process went very well and smoothly. Shortly after I applied the store manager called to schedule an interview. The interview itself was very laid back and the conversation felt genuine rather than a generic interview script. A couple days after the interview I received a call offering the position and a week from that call I began training.

Interview Question – What impact can you see yourself making on the company during your time with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Mount Prospect, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online received a phone call about 2 weeks later arranging for an interview. Met with employer had one interview and was hired on spot. Ive seen others have to come in for multiple interviews.

Interview Question – Whats one of your biggest flaws?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and selected about 5 stores that I wanted to work at. A few days later, I got a voice mail message from one of the stores asking me to set up an interview date. I didn't get to hear the person's name clearly in the voice mail so I couldn't address them properly when I called back. Anyway, I called back and we set up an interview for a few days later.

A few days later, I went to the interview. I was offered a drink to which I accepted. As my drink was being made, the interviewer started asking me questions about why I wanted to work at Starbucks and what I planned to do with my college degree.

We sat down at one of the tables in the store. As the interviewer sat down, they made small chit chat with a customer sitting next to us. Then, the interviewer looked at my application and asked me questions which included:

Tell me about a time when you helped someone out.
Tell me about a time when a customer was unhappy and describe how you handled it.
What is your availability?

That's all I remember.

The interviewer ultimately told me that they didn't want to hire someone who would just work for a short while and then quit when another opportunity came up, so I got the feeling that I was overqualified for the job and they saw me as someone who would quit after I found another job that was "better" than a Starbucks Barista. :(

In the end, I was told that I was interviewed because they recently hired 2 people who weren't moving very quickly in the training process so wanted someone as a back-up. The interviewer sipped their drink during the interview but I didn't really drink mine because I didn't feel like drinking while I was talking.

I was told that I would receive a call in a week and if I didn't hear back from them in a week, then I can go ahead and give them a call. I never received their call 1 week after the interview and I didn't call them back.

Interview tip: don't share goals that may seem too-ambitious with the interviewer as an effort to impress them because they'll think you'll want to move on after a few months or so and not want to hire you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Matteson, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called a week later to come in for an interview. The interview was casual, held on the sales floor of the Starbucks itself, and I was asked questions primarily related to hypothetical work situations. Many questions included how I felt about past jobs, for example, did I consider most of my coworkers friends? Did we hangout outside of work? If they were doing something wrong, would I tell them myself, ignore it entirely, or tell a supervisor? etc.

Interview Question – The store is very busy when a customer makes a complaint to you about the beverage they have just received. They are upset, your coworkers are busy, and you aren't entirely familiar with the menu yet. What do you do? Apologize and attempt to make the drink to their specifications though you aren't certain you're capable? Tell a more senior barista the problem and have she or he handle it, though he is very busy himself? Apologize and simply offer the customer a free drink coupon for next time? Or ask a supervisor to stop what he or she is doing and have him or her handle the customer because they are more experienced?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He asked if I could work full-time. That seemed to be the main stipulation. I was able to, and said that I had another job too, so I may need to schedule around each other sometimes, though I confirmed that this job would become my first priority.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

Interview Details – Great people, very easy going and open. Great sense of humor, overall very nice experience.

Interview Question – pretty obvious questions, no hidden traps   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – zero - here's what we offer, take it or leave it kind of deal

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!