Starbucks

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Starbucks in March 2011.

Interview Details – Starbucks interviews with behavioral based questions, so questions like "Tell me about a time when..." The best way to prepare is to have multiple scenarios you can speak confidently about. Try not to ramble, the best way to answer is state the situation, what needed to be done, what you did, and the results.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss/upper management   View Answer

Western Springs, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process went very well and smoothly. Shortly after I applied the store manager called to schedule an interview. The interview itself was very laid back and the conversation felt genuine rather than a generic interview script. A couple days after the interview I received a call offering the position and a week from that call I began training.

Interview Question – What impact can you see yourself making on the company during your time with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Mount Prospect, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online received a phone call about 2 weeks later arranging for an interview. Met with employer had one interview and was hired on spot. Ive seen others have to come in for multiple interviews.

Interview Question – Whats one of your biggest flaws?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and selected about 5 stores that I wanted to work at. A few days later, I got a voice mail message from one of the stores asking me to set up an interview date. I didn't get to hear the person's name clearly in the voice mail so I couldn't address them properly when I called back. Anyway, I called back and we set up an interview for a few days later.

A few days later, I went to the interview. I was offered a drink to which I accepted. As my drink was being made, the interviewer started asking me questions about why I wanted to work at Starbucks and what I planned to do with my college degree.

We sat down at one of the tables in the store. As the interviewer sat down, they made small chit chat with a customer sitting next to us. Then, the interviewer looked at my application and asked me questions which included:

Tell me about a time when you helped someone out.
Tell me about a time when a customer was unhappy and describe how you handled it.
What is your availability?

That's all I remember.

The interviewer ultimately told me that they didn't want to hire someone who would just work for a short while and then quit when another opportunity came up, so I got the feeling that I was overqualified for the job and they saw me as someone who would quit after I found another job that was "better" than a Starbucks Barista. :(

In the end, I was told that I was interviewed because they recently hired 2 people who weren't moving very quickly in the training process so wanted someone as a back-up. The interviewer sipped their drink during the interview but I didn't really drink mine because I didn't feel like drinking while I was talking.

I was told that I would receive a call in a week and if I didn't hear back from them in a week, then I can go ahead and give them a call. I never received their call 1 week after the interview and I didn't call them back.

Interview tip: don't share goals that may seem too-ambitious with the interviewer as an effort to impress them because they'll think you'll want to move on after a few months or so and not want to hire you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Matteson, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called a week later to come in for an interview. The interview was casual, held on the sales floor of the Starbucks itself, and I was asked questions primarily related to hypothetical work situations. Many questions included how I felt about past jobs, for example, did I consider most of my coworkers friends? Did we hangout outside of work? If they were doing something wrong, would I tell them myself, ignore it entirely, or tell a supervisor? etc.

Interview Question – The store is very busy when a customer makes a complaint to you about the beverage they have just received. They are upset, your coworkers are busy, and you aren't entirely familiar with the menu yet. What do you do? Apologize and attempt to make the drink to their specifications though you aren't certain you're capable? Tell a more senior barista the problem and have she or he handle it, though he is very busy himself? Apologize and simply offer the customer a free drink coupon for next time? Or ask a supervisor to stop what he or she is doing and have him or her handle the customer because they are more experienced?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He asked if I could work full-time. That seemed to be the main stipulation. I was able to, and said that I had another job too, so I may need to schedule around each other sometimes, though I confirmed that this job would become my first priority.

Very Easy Interview

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

Interview Details – Great people, very easy going and open. Great sense of humor, overall very nice experience.

Interview Question – pretty obvious questions, no hidden traps   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – zero - here's what we offer, take it or leave it kind of deal

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and get called for the Interview.

Interview Question – Questions were just like I expected, like for every other interview. What would you do if you had an unsatisfied costumer and such like that. What do you do in your free time?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. My first interview for Store manager was in front of two District Managers. That lasted over an hour. I received an email salary offer a few days later followed up by a phone call confirming the offer.

Interview Question – If you were trying to change the behavior of your store so that every partner would now consistently sell the very profitable blueberry scones, how would you do it?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Saw Craigslist ad. Applied online. Received a phone call. Quick phone interview. Asked to come in for an interview. In person interview. Told I would receive a call in five days if I had received the job.

Interview Question – Question on availability which is actually what has me fretting the most about this job -- I felt like most questions were geared towards my commute, availability, and such rather than what kind of person I am.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.