Starbucks

Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

The application was short and online and you could have your application sent to four stores, in the area of your choice. I called to check up on my application left my number got a call for an interview the next day.
    You have two interviews, one with the store manager you would be working for, and another with a different manager of their choice.
    Basic questions, like how would you handle situations questions.
    Easy interview Smile a lot!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I Applied online and got a call back within two days. One week later I met with the general manager and was hired on the spot. I Started two weeks later. The woman was very pleasant and asked typical service questions. Very laid back, it was not intimidating at all. The interview took about ten minutes, I dressed business casual and she wore her barista uniform.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of team player questions and positive attitude reference. Very laid back interview within the cafe.
      Example, if someone is doing something wrong would you correct them?

View Answer

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

As an experienced retail manager for several companies I came in for a shift supervisor interview. It went well as a standard interview, all queries were behavioral based. After interview was complete I was told that they never hire at shift supervisor level and that I must start off as a barista at minimum wage as an offer, and that maybe after six months I'd have to opportunity to advance. I was a little appalled but kept a pleasant demeanor, I've been management for 10+ years.

Interview Questions
    • Explained the entire staff was laid off for winter, and now that summer was in full swing they were short staffed. The honesty of this foreshadowing threw me off. They asked for my availability.   View Answer

I had other offers that were better

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I submitted my application online and gave my resume to the manager in the store in person. The interview is a two step process (two interviews) but my manager needed to hire, so she brought in another store manager to get both interviews out of the way in one. It was very quick, just 5 minutes. Very simple questions, mostly about me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Western Springs, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Western Springs, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview process went very well and smoothly. Shortly after I applied the store manager called to schedule an interview. The interview itself was very laid back and the conversation felt genuine rather than a generic interview script. A couple days after the interview I received a call offering the position and a week from that call I began training.

Interview Questions
    • What impact can you see yourself making on the company during your time with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Started with a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. My first interview for Store manager was in front of two District Managers. That lasted over an hour. I received an email salary offer a few days later followed up by a phone call confirming the offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were trying to change the behavior of your store so that every partner would now consistently sell the very profitable blueberry scones, how would you do it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

I applied online and selected about 5 stores that I wanted to work at. A few days later, I got a voice mail message from one of the stores asking me to set up an interview date. I didn't get to hear the person's name clearly in the voice mail so I couldn't address them properly when I called back. Anyway, I called back and we set up an interview for a few days later.

A few days later, I went to the interview. I was offered a drink to which I accepted. As my drink was being made, the interviewer started asking me questions about why I wanted to work at Starbucks and what I planned to do with my college degree.

We sat down at one of the tables in the store. As the interviewer sat down, they made small chit chat with a customer sitting next to us. Then, the interviewer looked at my application and asked me questions which included:

Tell me about a time when you helped someone out.
    Tell me about a time when a customer was unhappy and describe how you handled it.
    What is your availability?

That's all I remember.

The interviewer ultimately told me that they didn't want to hire someone who would just work for a short while and then quit when another opportunity came up, so I got the feeling that I was overqualified for the job and they saw me as someone who would quit after I found another job that was "better" than a Starbucks Barista. :(

In the end, I was told that I was interviewed because they recently hired 2 people who weren't moving very quickly in the training process so wanted someone as a back-up. The interviewer sipped their drink during the interview but I didn't really drink mine because I didn't feel like drinking while I was talking.

I was told that I would receive a call in a week and if I didn't hear back from them in a week, then I can go ahead and give them a call. I never received their call 1 week after the interview and I didn't call them back.

Interview tip: don't share goals that may seem too-ambitious with the interviewer as an effort to impress them because they'll think you'll want to move on after a few months or so and not want to hire you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Saw Craigslist ad. Applied online. Received a phone call. Quick phone interview. Asked to come in for an interview. In person interview. Told I would receive a call in five days if I had received the job.

Interview Questions
    • Question on availability which is actually what has me fretting the most about this job -- I felt like most questions were geared towards my commute, availability, and such rather than what kind of person I am.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Starbucks requires that you submit an online application, rather than applying in person. You apply via their site and can list up to 10 preferred stores. Your application is sent to the managers of those store first, then made available to other managers at a later date. In my experience, it was highly beneficial to go to the stores you applied to an ask to see the manager prior to being contacted about an interview. It helped to put a face to the name. If the stores are hiring, you will be contacted about an interview by the interested store manager. Mine took place in the back of the store and was fairly informal. My manager and I had a brief conversation (a get to know you sort of thing) then moved on to a series of situational questions. These are provided by the corporate office and I didn't get the impression that they varied among stores. They included: Tell us about a time you were late to work, what did you do? What is something you had to do for a job that you did not want to do? How did you handle it? etc. I was contacted with and offer within two weeks of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    There was not any negotiation. I began at local minimum wage ($8.25) and received a raise based on the regional profile after six months. After that, baristas receive a performance based raise every six months.