Starbucks Interview Questions in Colorado

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.4

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Centennial, CO).

Interview

Interviewed by Managers at a job fair inside a store. Because of my experience and interest in management I moved on in the process to interview with District Manager. That interview was several days later also inside a store. I was offered a position pending successful background check and references checking out.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Greenwood Village, CO).

Interview

As an internal hire the process for this interview starts with your SM and DM they will decide if you are ready to go to the next round after sitting down and talking with you and reviewing everything that they have had you do to "develop". Once cleared to go on to the formal interview you will interview with three district managers or current store managers. The process takes an hour and is comprised of 5 extended response questions, that you as an internal promote should already be familiar with as they are based on the core competencies of the supervisor role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your work?   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Starbucks (Boulder, CO).

Interview

It was great, they ask you about you and what is your proudest moment. Then they proceed to switch interviewers with a new line of questions. Like What other jobs have you had and what have you gain from them? Do you see on a long term with starbucks?

Interview Questions

• What do you know about coffee?   1 Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Colorado Springs, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got a call two days later, and then was hired. I had wanted to work for Starbucks for years, and because of so many applicants I gave up for a year, then when the timing was right, I applied again close to the holiday season, and was smoothly brought in as a barista.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation with a difficult customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Denver, CO) in May 2014.

Interview

First step was an incredibly indepth interactive screening and assessment process, where candidates are given scenarios in which their reactions are elicited. There are P&L exercises that if without any prior knowledge or experience going in, you will be challenged - this portion was also timed. Next was a 45 minute phone interview with a company recruiter (who was late to the call). Interview heavily predicated on past experience and detailed questions regarding P&L. No questions asked regarding specific training or scenarios or skill set beyond P&L. Zero discussion of culture. Recruiter intimated that internal competition for available position was fierce and that outside candidates are more often than not, relegated to a lesser role in favor of internal hires, and that candidates had to be flexible in that regard. From there she proceeded to badger and lowball me on salary. Basically the recruiter did her best to talk me out of the position, and with that, I declined to finish the interview.

Interview Questions

• "If you arent able to master our business within 8 weeks of training, will you consider and assistant position?"   1 Answer

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Starbucks (Fort Collins, CO) in March 2014.

Interview

Most of the time you will be hired as a Barista first and if a Shift position opens up in your area you are eligible to apply as long as you are a certified barista and have a general understanding of the business. I was a barista for a little over a year before I promoted. If you have a good store manager or ASM they will do a mock interview with you, provide you with a job description and possibly even a sheet with potential interview questions. You will likely interview for the Shift Supervisor position with another store manager in your district. They might make you interview twice, although I was only interviewed once.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you dealt with an unhappy customer. Describe a time where you coached another partner. Describe a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Starbucks (Colorado Springs, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was called a few days after by the assistant manager and asked if I could do a phone interview. She asked a few questions: why I wanted to work there, we talked about availability and how their scheduling works. Be chatty. I explained everything really clearly. Demonstrate that you can communicate clearly and effectively while also being friendly and positive. She called me back to come in for an interview a couple days later. The interview was really laid back (you get a free coffee and it was just in the cafe section at the table I picked to sit and wait). The assistant manager/manager in training and the store manager both interviewed, it actually made it much more comfortable than one on one. They were both awesome and easy to talk to, so I didn't hold back on any of my stories. Tips - Go to their website and look for their mission statements, goals, customer service policy, etc and try to fit those into your experience stories. - for the "tell me about a time" questions, tel your story like a story. Like tour telling it to your friends. Make sure it ends positively, even if it's only the you will never make that mistake again. - smile, duh - be positive. Make everything a learning experience. YOU ARE A SPONGE.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed to manage a customer's expectations. Describe the situation, solution, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. We did talk in detail at the end of the interview about pay and how raises work, etc. They start at $8.10 in CO, you get tips at the end of each week (this is a busy store and she said it's about $30 a week for full time, or $.90 an hour). Performance evaluation every 6 months where you can get up to 3% raise. Automatic $0.40 raise after first 6 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Fort Collins, CO) in January 2014.

Interview

Very Stream line. The typical interview questions that they ask. About leadership, your previous jobs and skills. I went in and met the manager who conducted the interview. She was very nice and the interview went very. Questions weren't very hard and if you seem polite. Just be confident and relaxed and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you showed leadership.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Starbucks (Colorado Springs, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

Starbucks seems to be doing group interviews and job fairs on a regular basis where I live, and this was actually my second group interview that I was trying for. The night before, I had done some research online and compiled quite a few possible questions that could have been in the interview, and formulated answers ahead of time so I could be confident and not keep them waiting for an answer. It also allowed me to take the initiative in the group interview and answer questions first as the other two people still had to think of an answer. These are some very good questions to be ready to answer. Why do you want to work for Starbucks? (You're guaranteed to be asked this question at the beginning of the interview) What is your understanding of what a Barista does? What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something incorrectly? What would you do if you had an unsatisfied customer? What is one of the most difficult decisions you've had to make in your job, and why was it difficult? How would you handle down time during your shift? How did you handle a time when you didn't want to do something? Did you ever make a big mistake? How did you correct it? Have you ever convinced a customer to buy a product they weren't originally intending on buying? Give an example of a time that you received negative feedback or criticism and how you handled it. Give an example of an unfair co-worker that you had to help and how you handled the situation. Give me a recent example of how you uplifted a peer. What is a great example of customer service? These are some of the more personal questions that may or may not be in the interview, but it's good to have an answer for them prepared anyway. What is your strongest quality? What is your weakest quality? How do you handle multitasking? Can you handle a fast paced work environment? Do you have a good memory? What is your greatest professional accomplishment? Where do you see yourself if five years? How well do you function early in the morning? Remember, if you don't get the position the first time; keep trying at it. This was my second group interview/job fair and I'd gone to at least six different Starbucks to talk to managers after applying online three separate times. I dressed in business attire and at the actual interview, handed them my resumé and at the end of the interview I also gave them a copy of the sheet I had typed up the night before of all my answers to the possible interview questions. After the interview was over I decided to wait in the Starbucks until the 4:00 time, which they said they would call us after. When I saw one of the managers that had interviewed me, I went up to thank her for considering me, and she said that she was just about to call me and say "How would you like to work with me for Starbucks?" All my patience and hard work payed off in the long run.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question that was asked was one that I hadn't pre-formulated an answer for. What is one of the hardest decisions you've made in your past job and why was it difficult?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I haven't negotiated as of yet.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Starbucks (Denver, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

The interview day saw more applicants than the interviewing managers initially expected. That was confirmed by the person interviewing me. It was mostly behavioral questions. A time when you encountered a problem. A time when you worked with or lead a team successfully.