Starbucks

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

Interview Details – the online application is very easy to fill out, it takes about 15 minutes to complete it. if the location where you applied to is hiring at the time your application gets to the manager, you will get a call to set up an interview within one or two days. they require no previous work experience and you have to be 16 years old to apply.

Interview Question – there are no difficult questions, they ask you if you are skilled on computers, if you are looking for a full or part time job, if this is your very first job or not. and how you feel about working with heating elements.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation at all.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – First step was an incredibly indepth interactive screening and assessment process, where candidates are given scenarios in which their reactions are elicited. There are P&L exercises that if without any prior knowledge or experience going in, you will be challenged - this portion was also timed. Next was a 45 minute phone interview with a company recruiter (who was late to the call). Interview heavily predicated on past experience and detailed questions regarding P&L. No questions asked regarding specific training or scenarios or skill set beyond P&L. Zero discussion of culture. Recruiter intimated that internal competition for available position was fierce and that outside candidates are more often than not, relegated to a lesser role in favor of internal hires, and that candidates had to be flexible in that regard. From there she proceeded to badger and lowball me on salary. Basically the recruiter did her best to talk me out of the position, and with that, I declined to finish the interview.

Interview Question – "If you arent able to master our business within 8 weeks of training, will you consider and assistant position?"   View Answer

Starbucks-Barista Interview

Starbucks-Barista
Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

Interview Details – Single one-on-one interview - focused on understanding my history, past work experience, desires for the new position, why seeking a new position - manager seemed genuinely interest in me and my background - very informal - took place at the store in a relaxed environment over a cup of coffee(of course!)

Interview Question – Most difficult question is identifying one's weakest traits   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. Was asked a few questions, and hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online when I found out I was moving to a different state. I got a call about a few days after I put in my application. The manager contacted me by phone and wanted me to come in for an interview. Unfortunately, I was about 3 weeks away from moving, so she told me to contact her after I arrived in state. I called a few days after I settled in, and unfortunately she had already hired the people she needed, but she still wanted to interview me for another store.

The first interview was pretty simple. She asked me basic questions about my background and previous work experience. I had a retail and customer service background, which is definitely a plus if you want to work at Starbucks. She told me at the end of the interview that she thought I'd be perfect for Starbucks and would recommend her manager friend to call me and set up an interview.

It's been more than 3 years ago since I did these interviews, so I don't exactly remember the timeline, but I know I had another interview with the next week or two. At the second interview I met with the store manager and assistant manager. They asked similar questions like the first interview. Customer service questions, how you handle difficult customers; how you would handle conflict with co-workers; when did you provide great customer service, etc. etc.

Interview Question – I didn't think there were any difficult questions. If you've worked in service before or have any kind of retail experience, you will most likely have an easy time with the interview.   Answer Question

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called a few days after by the assistant manager and asked if I could do a phone interview. She asked a few questions: why I wanted to work there, we talked about availability and how their scheduling works. Be chatty. I explained everything really clearly. Demonstrate that you can communicate clearly and effectively while also being friendly and positive.

She called me back to come in for an interview a couple days later. The interview was really laid back (you get a free coffee and it was just in the cafe section at the table I picked to sit and wait). The assistant manager/manager in training and the store manager both interviewed, it actually made it much more comfortable than one on one. They were both awesome and easy to talk to, so I didn't hold back on any of my stories.

Tips
- Go to their website and look for their mission statements, goals, customer service policy, etc and try to fit those into your experience stories.
- for the "tell me about a time" questions, tel your story like a story. Like tour telling it to your friends. Make sure it ends positively, even if it's only the you will never make that mistake again.
- smile, duh
- be positive. Make everything a learning experience. YOU ARE A SPONGE.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed to manage a customer's expectations. Describe the situation, solution, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. We did talk in detail at the end of the interview about pay and how raises work, etc. They start at $8.10 in CO, you get tips at the end of each week (this is a busy store and she said it's about $30 a week for full time, or $.90 an hour). Performance evaluation every 6 months where you can get up to 3% raise. Automatic $0.40 raise after first 6 months.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – My manager asked me questions about previous job experience. Mostly questions about certain situations and how I handled them.

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – Starbucks seems to be doing group interviews and job fairs on a regular basis where I live, and this was actually my second group interview that I was trying for. The night before, I had done some research online and compiled quite a few possible questions that could have been in the interview, and formulated answers ahead of time so I could be confident and not keep them waiting for an answer. It also allowed me to take the initiative in the group interview and answer questions first as the other two people still had to think of an answer. These are some very good questions to be ready to answer.
Why do you want to work for Starbucks? (You're guaranteed to be asked this question at the beginning of the interview)
What is your understanding of what a Barista does?
What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something incorrectly?
What would you do if you had an unsatisfied customer?
What is one of the most difficult decisions you've had to make in your job, and why was it difficult?
How would you handle down time during your shift?
How did you handle a time when you didn't want to do something?
Did you ever make a big mistake? How did you correct it?
Have you ever convinced a customer to buy a product they weren't originally intending on buying?
Give an example of a time that you received negative feedback or criticism and how you handled it.
Give an example of an unfair co-worker that you had to help and how you handled the situation.
Give me a recent example of how you uplifted a peer.
What is a great example of customer service?

These are some of the more personal questions that may or may not be in the interview, but it's good to have an answer for them prepared anyway.
What is your strongest quality?
What is your weakest quality?
How do you handle multitasking?
Can you handle a fast paced work environment?
Do you have a good memory?
What is your greatest professional accomplishment?
Where do you see yourself if five years?
How well do you function early in the morning?

Remember, if you don't get the position the first time; keep trying at it. This was my second group interview/job fair and I'd gone to at least six different Starbucks to talk to managers after applying online three separate times. I dressed in business attire and at the actual interview, handed them my resumé and at the end of the interview I also gave them a copy of the sheet I had typed up the night before of all my answers to the possible interview questions. After the interview was over I decided to wait in the Starbucks until the 4:00 time, which they said they would call us after. When I saw one of the managers that had interviewed me, I went up to thank her for considering me, and she said that she was just about to call me and say "How would you like to work with me for Starbucks?" All my patience and hard work payed off in the long run.

Interview Question – The most difficult question that was asked was one that I hadn't pre-formulated an answer for. What is one of the hardest decisions you've made in your past job and why was it difficult?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I haven't negotiated as of yet.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview day saw more applicants than the interviewing managers initially expected. That was confirmed by the person interviewing me.

It was mostly behavioral questions. A time when you encountered a problem. A time when you worked with or lead a team successfully.

Interview Question – How did you effectively work with a team?   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2009.

Interview Details – The applications are online at their website now. The interviews are pretty standard as well. Don't look like a slob. No jeans and t-shirt. It's a business, not a local shop. I'd suggest khaki or black slacks and a black or white collared shirt, since that is the uniform that they require.

The questions are also pretty standard. They'll ask what you know about coffee and Starbucks as a company. They'll ask you why you think you'd like to work there. The key is be genuine. I've done a handful of interviews and it is quite easy to see when people are being fake.

Interview Question – They will ask you how you deal with certain ethical problems, like catching another employee stealing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Set wages. There is no negotiations for these level jobs.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!