Starbucks

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Starbucks.

It was great, they ask you about you and what is your proudest moment. Then they proceed to switch interviewers with a new line of questions. Like What other jobs have you had and what have you gain from them? Do you see on a long term with starbucks?

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

First step was an incredibly indepth interactive screening and assessment process, where candidates are given scenarios in which their reactions are elicited. There are P&L exercises that if without any prior knowledge or experience going in, you will be challenged - this portion was also timed. Next was a 45 minute phone interview with a company recruiter (who was late to the call). Interview heavily predicated on past experience and detailed questions regarding P&L. No questions asked regarding specific training or scenarios or skill set beyond P&L. Zero discussion of culture. Recruiter intimated that internal competition for available position was fierce and that outside candidates are more often than not, relegated to a lesser role in favor of internal hires, and that candidates had to be flexible in that regard. From there she proceeded to badger and lowball me on salary. Basically the recruiter did her best to talk me out of the position, and with that, I declined to finish the interview.

Interview Questions
    • "If you arent able to master our business within 8 weeks of training, will you consider and assistant position?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Applied online, was called a few days after by the assistant manager and asked if I could do a phone interview. She asked a few questions: why I wanted to work there, we talked about availability and how their scheduling works. Be chatty. I explained everything really clearly. Demonstrate that you can communicate clearly and effectively while also being friendly and positive.

She called me back to come in for an interview a couple days later. The interview was really laid back (you get a free coffee and it was just in the cafe section at the table I picked to sit and wait). The assistant manager/manager in training and the store manager both interviewed, it actually made it much more comfortable than one on one. They were both awesome and easy to talk to, so I didn't hold back on any of my stories.

Tips
    - Go to their website and look for their mission statements, goals, customer service policy, etc and try to fit those into your experience stories.
    - for the "tell me about a time" questions, tel your story like a story. Like tour telling it to your friends. Make sure it ends positively, even if it's only the you will never make that mistake again.
    - smile, duh
    - be positive. Make everything a learning experience. YOU ARE A SPONGE.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to manage a customer's expectations. Describe the situation, solution, etc.   View Answer
    None. We did talk in detail at the end of the interview about pay and how raises work, etc. They start at $8.10 in CO, you get tips at the end of each week (this is a busy store and she said it's about $30 a week for full time, or $.90 an hour). Performance evaluation every 6 months where you can get up to 3% raise. Automatic $0.40 raise after first 6 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Starbucks seems to be doing group interviews and job fairs on a regular basis where I live, and this was actually my second group interview that I was trying for. The night before, I had done some research online and compiled quite a few possible questions that could have been in the interview, and formulated answers ahead of time so I could be confident and not keep them waiting for an answer. It also allowed me to take the initiative in the group interview and answer questions first as the other two people still had to think of an answer. These are some very good questions to be ready to answer.
    Why do you want to work for Starbucks? (You're guaranteed to be asked this question at the beginning of the interview)
    What is your understanding of what a Barista does?
    What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something incorrectly?
    What would you do if you had an unsatisfied customer?
    What is one of the most difficult decisions you've had to make in your job, and why was it difficult?
    How would you handle down time during your shift?
    How did you handle a time when you didn't want to do something?
    Did you ever make a big mistake? How did you correct it?
    Have you ever convinced a customer to buy a product they weren't originally intending on buying?
    Give an example of a time that you received negative feedback or criticism and how you handled it.
    Give an example of an unfair co-worker that you had to help and how you handled the situation.
    Give me a recent example of how you uplifted a peer.
    What is a great example of customer service?

These are some of the more personal questions that may or may not be in the interview, but it's good to have an answer for them prepared anyway.
    What is your strongest quality?
    What is your weakest quality?
    How do you handle multitasking?
    Can you handle a fast paced work environment?
    Do you have a good memory?
    What is your greatest professional accomplishment?
    Where do you see yourself if five years?
    How well do you function early in the morning?

Remember, if you don't get the position the first time; keep trying at it. This was my second group interview/job fair and I'd gone to at least six different Starbucks to talk to managers after applying online three separate times. I dressed in business attire and at the actual interview, handed them my resumé and at the end of the interview I also gave them a copy of the sheet I had typed up the night before of all my answers to the possible interview questions. After the interview was over I decided to wait in the Starbucks until the 4:00 time, which they said they would call us after. When I saw one of the managers that had interviewed me, I went up to thank her for considering me, and she said that she was just about to call me and say "How would you like to work with me for Starbucks?" All my patience and hard work payed off in the long run.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question that was asked was one that I hadn't pre-formulated an answer for. What is one of the hardest decisions you've made in your past job and why was it difficult?   View Answer
    I haven't negotiated as of yet.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

The interview day saw more applicants than the interviewing managers initially expected. That was confirmed by the person interviewing me.

It was mostly behavioral questions. A time when you encountered a problem. A time when you worked with or lead a team successfully.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

the online application is very easy to fill out, it takes about 15 minutes to complete it. if the location where you applied to is hiring at the time your application gets to the manager, you will get a call to set up an interview within one or two days. they require no previous work experience and you have to be 16 years old to apply.

Interview Questions
    • there are no difficult questions, they ask you if you are skilled on computers, if you are looking for a full or part time job, if this is your very first job or not. and how you feel about working with heating elements.   View Answer
    no negotiation at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

My manager asked me questions about previous job experience. Mostly questions about certain situations and how I handled them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

I filled out an application online and submitted it to as many nearby locations as it would allow. Happened to stop in with my grandma one night and asked the shift manager if they were hiring. She said they had two open positions and gave me the manager's card. I called the next day, she wasn't in. Called again and still could not reach the manager. I sent her an email as well. Called AGAIN a few days later and got a hold of the assistant manager who said they would be reviewing applications that day. FINALLY later that night the store manager called and set up an interview. She started off by asking me to tell her about myself and why I want to work for Starbucks (have a REALLY good reason why you want to work here. I didn't other than paychecks and tuition reimbursement.) The questions weren't hard but they made me very nervous, asked scenario questions like "tell me about a time you treated a coworker with fairness even though they didn't to you" and "tell me about a time you received unexpected criticism on your work." As I answered they just jotted down notes on their papers and looked like they were totally judging me. The last thing she asked was if I had any questions for her, which I didn't. She said she would get back to me by Wednesday, but of course, no call. Finally one day after I stopped caring about the job the assistant manager called and said they were going to move forward with other candidates. My advice to you is to be totally enthusiastic, focused on the interview, and act like you REALLY want this job! Have good reasons why you want it and make sure to emphasize on good customer service because this job is customer service. I'm glad I didn't get the job because I really didn't want to work for the two snobs who interviewed me. However, I did get a lot of compliments from employees and customers and a free drink out of it!

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2012.

I applied online via the Starbucks career site and was called in a matter of hours. The initial call was a screening process in which the manager asked me to share a little about myself and asked a few questions related to availability and what type of work I'm looking for. We set up an interview for the next day.
    The first interview was with the manager I spoke with on the phone the day before. We chatted for a bit and she asked me questions about myself and my work experience and then we dove into the actual interview.
    The Interview was behavioral; a lot of questions like, "Tell me about a time you felt you let down a customer". More based on how you interact with people and customer service. Some of the questions were difficult, but they give you plenty of time and can explain it a different way.
    The second interview was at a different store with a different manager. This interview was much more intense. A lot of scenario questions intermixed with own experience questions. The questions revolved around supervising employees, how you handle conflict, how you perceive yourself as a supervisor, etc.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you treated a coworker fairly even though they mistreated you".   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2012.

Very easy interview. Was asked a few questions, and hired on the spot.