Starbucks

2.4

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Shift Supervisor and Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

I applied online, they didn't get back to me for two weeks. I walked in with a friend one day and I happened to have a resume on hand so I gave it to one of the baristas working at the time. She was very friendly and just, overall, very happy that I did. They needed a Shift Supervisor who was able to open the shop at 3-4 in the morning, for which suited my availability. She told me to apply online again, which gave me hope that I would get the job. So I followed her instructions and I got a call back within 2 days. It was the manager that called me and told me that she wanted to set up an interview on Sunday. I walked in on Sunday, ready for the interview, when the staff told me that she wasn't there at the time. So, despite everything, they gave me a free drink just to show their appreciation for all the trouble that I went through which was nothing at all. She called me again, apologized and told me that she wanted to interview me again on Tuesday. I agreed and we both met up at the store on Tuesday. The interview was awesome. I was calm, maybe it was the smell of coffee that kept me composed and relaxed. After all, I did receive another free drink. She was so ecstatic about me signing on for the company that she immediately scheduled an interview on that very same day with another store manager. I shook her hand and fled to my second interview.

The mini Starbucks at the mall appeared to be extremely busy so I waited patiently after I told the baristas that I was scheduled for an interview. I waited for 45 minutes until the store manager decided to show his face. Since there were no free tables, we went up the escalator to the outdoor parking lot which was pouring by the way. He had what seemed like a visible birth mark on his left/right side cheek (I can't remember) but it didn't really matter. That's when the questions came. I answered honestly and to the best of my ability. I felt like I did incredibly well. He asked me about my parents, about why I moved back in forth (I have multiple guardians, I have no criminal records or did not involve myself in drugs and alcohol for which I am glad. Clean Slate), etc. Questions that weren't job related. I shook his hand and went back into the mall. On the escalator going down, I looked back and saw that he pulled out his electronic cigarette to take a smoke break which made me think that he went up there only to puff on his cigarette...45 minutes of wait and 5 minutes of questions-galore.

I didn't hear back from them for one full week. I decided to approach the manager at the store that I was applying for (which was not at the mall) and I was surprised to see the same barista that told me to reapply online, it was a cool connection that we shared because I felt like I was more comfortable talking to her. She told me that the second interviewer didn't like me because of my history (?). Like what does that mean? Just because I move around a lot and lived with multiple guardians doesn't mean that I did anything wrong? It was just the circumstances of my situation. He said that he hired somebody like me and with my kind of a background but the previous employee that he hired committed suicide by overdose. Was he accusing me of overdosing in the future? Which then it clicked in my head, the second store manager never did care about his interviewing me. All he wanted was to rush the interview, blow me up with questions, rush me out and smoke his cigarette. I didn't even want to apply for that Starbucks anyways, it's not like he was hiring me to work at his store. I was so frustrated with that whole situation. It made me want to blurt out to him, "Yeah! You know what, if I have to deal with people like you, I will overdose and die just like how you predicted!"

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

Walked in on Tuesday with paper application. Got a call two hours later asking to schedule an interview. Friday worked best for both myself and the Store Manager. Was Invited to return for second interview with Assistant Manager on Saturday. Was offered job on the spot.

I am a former Starbucks employee and perhaps that contributed to the quick application process.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my salary (which will be higher now than it was when I left the company two years ago). I will be able to negotiate my schedule/availability on a weekly basis.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kailua, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kailua, HI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

I received a call and was interviewd the next day.