Starbucks

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks.

I was in the store that hired me almost everyday as a regular customer. In fact, I was there so often that the manager asked me if I wanted to work there one day when they were short staffed on the floor. Stores are ALWAYS having issues with staffing turnover and good partner retention due to the fact that barista jobs are temporary/transitional in the minds of almost everyone that applies to the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you received unexpected, critical feedback about your performance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

Applied online to several Starbucks within a certain area, got a call from my first choice a couple days later. Came in for an interview the next day, dressed nice but casual. Staff and manager were very friendly and informal, they offered me a free drink and we just had the interview at a table in the corner. Questions were to be expected - what I hope to gain from working at Starbucks, past experience with customer service, give an example of a time I had to deal with an unhappy customer/conflict, etc. This was my first real customer service-oriented job so some questions did not apply all that well to me, but I did my best to talk about another experience that seemed relevant (like conflict resolution in a group project at school) and the manager was fine with this. I had applied for a part time summer job, and was offered on the spot after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time when you received unexpected criticism, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Very conversational. The longer the interviewer the better. The interviewer did not ask a billion questions, they just want to get to know WHO you are. They do offer you a coffee. Always accept, but do not make it to complicated. If you do not like coffee or have never tried it, ask for a blonde roast or a caramel machiatto.

None available.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Super easy questions. The interview process was simple retail questions and she asked me about my prior experience. The entire interview was fairly short and I overall got a cold feeling from the interviewer but I needed a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer? And how you handled it.   Answer Question
    lol

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

I applied online and made no effort to keep up with my application because I figured it might be overlooked (due to the high volume). Luckily, the manager called me two weeks later and asked to interview me. I was nervous and shocked that I had received an offer! The interview was structured and consisted of fairly simple questions i.e: Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work here? What does being a Barista mean to you? and Customer service questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer complaining about how horrible the coffee he just ordered was?   View Answer
    Be yourself! I had googled Q&A's for the interview and by the time i had the interview i had forgotten them all. This unexpected moment helped me get the job because the answers i had looked up weren't genuine enough to nearly express my personality. I answered the questions truthfully and nailed my interview.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

I got there 20 minutes before the time I was asked to come for. Wore a dress for the interview and was offered a drink.
    Accept the drink, don't be rude.
    The manager came 15 minutes later, interview questions we're easy. Mostly personal. The manager went in and directly offered a job and asked about what days I was available and what not. I told her and everything went smoothly. She wanted a long term employee and frankly I cannot provide that so I mentioned it and boom! There went my job offer. Waste of time but oh well.
    Lesson learned.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

good perception, overall comfortable process

Interview Questions
    • there weren't any difficult or hard questions...nothing threw me off guard   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a higher base pay

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

Called for a screening. Dm interview. Face to face. Offer. Background check.

Interview Questions
    • Why Starbucks? Not a hard question but initially threw me off.   Answer Question
    They gave me an offer and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

The interview was brief but thorough enough to determine if my personality/work ethic was right for the job. It called on previous work situations, how I handled them, etc. Typical interview.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate pay. They've become quite stingy about that. They started me at $7.45. They can definitely afford to pay more than that.