Starbucks Interview Questions in Illinois

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.4

Batista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Starbucks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

My interview was about 5 mins long to be honest. I was hired on spot because I was a regular customer of the store... And everyone there loved me, and I showed my product knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlett, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks (Bartlett, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I walked in a little bit early so I went up and got myself a drink, since I was having an interview they gave it to me for free which was extremely nice. When the manger came out she had a huge smile on her face and made me feel welcome into the cafe. She asked me to describe myself, so I just mentioned some of the hobbies I did and some of the skills I had. I also mentioned what my past job was and how that job would help me with being a Barista. Since I had no prior experience in retail or customer service, she didn't ask me any more of the questions, except the ones below. I also mentioned how I loved the idea of Starbucks helping with college and that sparked up a great conversation. it showed my interest in the company, and how I did prior research on this topic. Overall, just be yourself, and be extremely confident. Thats what they are looking for. Confidence and Charisma!

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a time a customer was unhappy and angry?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Orland Park, IL).

Interview

I applied online, and got a call back from a recurring rep. She was very friendly and very informative, I completed the virtual job tryout,(which I personally found a breeze) and went on to my phone interview. The rep explained that she felt I'd be better suited for the assistant manager position, So I could learn the "Starbucks Way" and explained that the assistant man. position was temporary, and basically training to be a store manager. I was excited to nail my in person interview. I showed up about 15 minutes early, and was given a free drink. I was interviewed by 2 district managers, who were about 30 minutes late. They were more interested in gossiping, and discussing their upcoming summer vacations than interviewing me. I pretty much hung out with strangers for about an hour and a half. At the end, they pretty much told me that my 4 years of management experience wasn't up to par, and they thought I'd be best at entry level. The higher ups are wonderful, and really trying to build solid teams in the stores, but the dms need a serious reality check. I would have really liked to be apart of the Starbucks team, but the company really needs to take a better look at the people they put in charge of running multiple stores.

Interview Questions

• "Can you give me an example where you had to confront co workers who didn't get along? How did you handle the situation?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Champaign, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

They offered me a free drink and then I waited until the previous interviewee left. It started out informally, with some ice breakers (i.e. what you like to do in your free time). The managers were very friendly and we had a short conversation about TV shows before getting into it. They asked behavioral questions -- they wanted specific answers pertaining to how you reacted in certain situations in the past. I had only done babysitting in the past but they were very adaptable with the questions, often rephrasing them to fit an academic/babysitting setting. I'm pretty nervous during interviews but they made it very comfortable and open, were honest about when they would call me back for a background check, and then called me later in the week to tell me to come in and fill out forms.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle getting important tasks done on time?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you disappointed a customer? How did you react and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you had to make a hard decision? What did you decide on and what was hard about it?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you faced serious criticism and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Starbucks (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was easy actually, they ask you comman sense questions. Basically things you should already know. It was a one on one interview and they ask you questions pertaining to your skills and knowledge.

Interview Questions

• if you can't make it to work one day what should you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Lombard, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Short. I thought i would for sure get the job. They said they would call either way if i had the job or not in three days and never did.

Interview Questions

• How available i was. I was available as much as they wanted me to be.   1 Answer
    • About my hair color. They asked if it was natural.   1 Answer

Barista and Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

First, a phone interview: The interviewer, store manager, came across to me as not very professional, using words like "fabulous" a lot. Second interview: in person with same interviewer: Took place in middle of where customers were sitting. (I've seen this done at other Starbucks _I think it's awkward for interviewee and can be an intrusion to the customers). Store Mgr asked me the same questions as she did on the phone: "why do you want to work at Starbucks?, tell me about a time when you did not meet the expectations of your customer? (what?, that's quite an assumption, lol) How do you handle conflict?," When I arrived there were 5 customers in line before me. Starbucks has a policy of providing beverage to customer in no longer than 3 minutes from the time that they order it. This was not happening here. It occurred to me that the mgr could have come out to help to ensure that her location was providing quality beverages in a timely manner, but she did not. After the second interview, mgr said she'd call me on a certain day. She called three days after the day she said she'd call, saying she was busy. Huh? That would not fly with an employee or prospective employee would it?. And neither would wearing jeans, as she did in the third interview. Again, the same questions were asked of me as were asked for the phone call and for the first interview and a lot more paper shuffling as they looked at their sheets before asking the questions. One of my questions to them was when benefits kicked in. Neither one could give me a definite answer. Was it 90 days or 6 months, the two of them pondered, and didn't really know. Oh well, I guess I could look it up online, but quite frankly after these interviews I am going to decline the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you did not meet the expectations of one of your customers?   1 Answer

The mgr did not seem to give the respect to her employees that she wanted back from them. Her wearing jeans at our interview showed me disrespect. Most of her questions seemed to have a negative connotation which led me to think 'red flag.' I felt bored in these interviews which made me think, also, that this was not the job for me - even though I need one, oi..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Bolingbrook, IL).

Interview

The application was short and online and you could have your application sent to four stores, in the area of your choice. I called to check up on my application left my number got a call for an interview the next day. You have two interviews, one with the store manager you would be working for, and another with a different manager of their choice. Basic questions, like how would you handle situations questions. Easy interview Smile a lot!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Starbucks (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

She asked about availability, because that's really important. I was making sure I was smiling and making eye contact. As much as you make sure your paying full attention, I feel like you should joke with the interviewer (if appropriate) to let your personality shine through. They are looking for outgoing people so customers feel welcomed at the shop and want to come back

Interview Questions

• Can you work in a group or are you more controlling?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks (Wheeling, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

I Applied online and got a call back within two days. One week later I met with the general manager and was hired on the spot. I Started two weeks later. The woman was very pleasant and asked typical service questions. Very laid back, it was not intimidating at all. The interview took about ten minutes, I dressed business casual and she wore her barista uniform.

Interview Questions

• A lot of team player questions and positive attitude reference. Very laid back interview within the cafe. Example, if someone is doing something wrong would you correct them?   1 Answer