Starbucks

2.4

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

The application was short and online and you could have your application sent to four stores, in the area of your choice. I called to check up on my application left my number got a call for an interview the next day.
    You have two interviews, one with the store manager you would be working for, and another with a different manager of their choice.
    Basic questions, like how would you handle situations questions.
    Easy interview Smile a lot!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheeling, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I Applied online and got a call back within two days. One week later I met with the general manager and was hired on the spot. I Started two weeks later. The woman was very pleasant and asked typical service questions. Very laid back, it was not intimidating at all. The interview took about ten minutes, I dressed business casual and she wore her barista uniform.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of team player questions and positive attitude reference. Very laid back interview within the cafe.
      Example, if someone is doing something wrong would you correct them?

View Answer

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

As an experienced retail manager for several companies I came in for a shift supervisor interview. It went well as a standard interview, all queries were behavioral based. After interview was complete I was told that they never hire at shift supervisor level and that I must start off as a barista at minimum wage as an offer, and that maybe after six months I'd have to opportunity to advance. I was a little appalled but kept a pleasant demeanor, I've been management for 10+ years.

Interview Questions
    • Explained the entire staff was laid off for winter, and now that summer was in full swing they were short staffed. The honesty of this foreshadowing threw me off. They asked for my availability.   View Answer

I had other offers that were better

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

I submitted my application online and gave my resume to the manager in the store in person. The interview is a two step process (two interviews) but my manager needed to hire, so she brought in another store manager to get both interviews out of the way in one. It was very quick, just 5 minutes. Very simple questions, mostly about me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

I applied for a number of stores in my area online. About a week and a half later, I received a call from one of the store managers, she said she would like to interview me, she asked me to come in the next day. I dressed business professional and brought in a copy of my resume. When I arrived I was offered a beverage (which I politely declined) and she asked me to go find a table while she got her stuff. I waited at the table about 10 minutes and then the manager came over and began the interview. She began by asking me to describe myself and my background. I discussed my educational background and my current academic program and briefly summarized some of my work history. She then asked me why I wanted to work at Starbucks. After that, she asked me several other situational type questions including telling a time when I knew someone I worked with was doing something wrong.

At the end of the interview she told me about the benefits to being a Starbucks partner. As a part-time employee you get free partner drinks while working, 30% off when not working, you're offered medical, dental, and vision insurance, a free pound of coffee, tea, or Via a week, and after a year you're given stock in the company.

After going over benefits, she told me about the uniform; any collared white or black shirt, with kaki or black pants, and leather shoes. Hair must be pulled up, and no nail polish (for Health Code reasons.) If you would like to wear a sweater, fleece, or hoodie, it must be the same color as the collared shirt you are wearing.

After this, she asked me if I had any questions, and told me that the next step was to meet with the store manage from a different store in the area. She asked me about my availability and told me she would call me in the next few days to let me know when that interview was.

At my second interview, I was once again greeted and asked if I would like a beverage. Then the store manager came over to my table and introduced herself. She said the second interview was very informal, and was part of the procedure to make sure that any new hires are good candidates, as Starbucks has very low turnover. She asked me about myself, and why I wanted to work at Starbucks. We chatted about related issues for awhile and the she asked if I had any other questions. She told me the next step was a background check.

After my background check went through, I was called by the original store manager, she told me my background check had come back ok, and that the second store manager loved me. She offered me a job, and asked me to come in the next day to do my new hire paperwork and go over the training program.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was what specific things did I do at my most recent job to get to know the people I was working with.   Answer Question
    I did not attempt to negotiate. I was told starting pay was $8.65/an hour (plus weekly tips,) and in 6 months you get an automatic $0.60 raise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Western Springs, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Western Springs, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview process went very well and smoothly. Shortly after I applied the store manager called to schedule an interview. The interview itself was very laid back and the conversation felt genuine rather than a generic interview script. A couple days after the interview I received a call offering the position and a week from that call I began training.

Interview Questions
    • What impact can you see yourself making on the company during your time with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Applied online, didn't get a call for a week, decided to call each one I applied to back and every one said that same thing but two ladies pretended like they couldn't hear me but they could hear me perfectly fine before I asked about my application.

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Started with a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes. My first interview for Store manager was in front of two District Managers. That lasted over an hour. I received an email salary offer a few days later followed up by a phone call confirming the offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you were trying to change the behavior of your store so that every partner would now consistently sell the very profitable blueberry scones, how would you do it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

I applied online and selected about 5 stores that I wanted to work at. A few days later, I got a voice mail message from one of the stores asking me to set up an interview date. I didn't get to hear the person's name clearly in the voice mail so I couldn't address them properly when I called back. Anyway, I called back and we set up an interview for a few days later.

A few days later, I went to the interview. I was offered a drink to which I accepted. As my drink was being made, the interviewer started asking me questions about why I wanted to work at Starbucks and what I planned to do with my college degree.

We sat down at one of the tables in the store. As the interviewer sat down, they made small chit chat with a customer sitting next to us. Then, the interviewer looked at my application and asked me questions which included:

Tell me about a time when you helped someone out.
    Tell me about a time when a customer was unhappy and describe how you handled it.
    What is your availability?

That's all I remember.

The interviewer ultimately told me that they didn't want to hire someone who would just work for a short while and then quit when another opportunity came up, so I got the feeling that I was overqualified for the job and they saw me as someone who would quit after I found another job that was "better" than a Starbucks Barista. :(

In the end, I was told that I was interviewed because they recently hired 2 people who weren't moving very quickly in the training process so wanted someone as a back-up. The interviewer sipped their drink during the interview but I didn't really drink mine because I didn't feel like drinking while I was talking.

I was told that I would receive a call in a week and if I didn't hear back from them in a week, then I can go ahead and give them a call. I never received their call 1 week after the interview and I didn't call them back.

Interview tip: don't share goals that may seem too-ambitious with the interviewer as an effort to impress them because they'll think you'll want to move on after a few months or so and not want to hire you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Saw Craigslist ad. Applied online. Received a phone call. Quick phone interview. Asked to come in for an interview. In person interview. Told I would receive a call in five days if I had received the job.

Interview Questions
    • Question on availability which is actually what has me fretting the most about this job -- I felt like most questions were geared towards my commute, availability, and such rather than what kind of person I am.   View Answer