Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
-Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
-Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
-What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
-What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
-What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
-Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
-Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Tacoma, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – If you submit an online resume, you will most likely NEVER hear back from the hiring managers; your resume is literally one of hundreds, sometimes thousands for just a single store. If you know someone who works there, ask them to give you a recommendation. If you don't have a Starbucks network available, hand in your resume in person and ask for the store manager (as well as submitting an online application)

Interview Question – All the interview questions are behavioral-based, such as:
-Give me an example of a time when your employer gave you constructive criticism, and how you reacted.
-Give me an example of how you work well in a team.
Make sure to have very specific answers.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You basically start out at minimum wage, then you get tips when your training is completed. After 3 months of working at least 20 hours/week, you are eligible for full benefits and stock options.

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Asked what drink I wanted

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Be confident and make sure you mention that you love to connect with customers and make them feel as if this starbucks is their home away from home. Talk up your love for fast paced work and your ability to keep busy when it's slow.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance/Contract Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, and brief 3 person panel interview. They were nice. There were others interviewing that day, but it was still a pleasant environment.

Interview Question – Asked about technology, typical test workflow, working with others and about coffee knowledge.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Worked with the contractor recruiter.

Shift Manager Interview

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview Details – Two face-to-face interviews with two different store managers about a week apart. The STAR interview method is used. The first interview lasted about an hour. The second lasted about 30 minutes. It took approximately two more weeks to receive confirmation of my employment.

Interview Question – The interview is not difficult. The STAR interview method was used in both of my interviews. Be prepared to elaborate on your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for a substantial increase. The negotiation only took one phone call and the response was within hours.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Tell me about a time that you saw an employee do something against policy and how did you handle it?
Talk to me about a P&L? What is your experience with it?
How do you handle an overly aggressive customer?

Interview Question – None. If your a manager by trade you will be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Barista Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called the following week for an interview. I first interviewed with the store manager. I had my second interview right after my first interview which surprised me a bit. The second interview was with the assistant manager and she asked me the same exact questions that the store manager asked me. The interview was very quick and simple. They both asked me about what I thought customer service meant and how I would help a customer if they had asked me a question about a product or promotion. The whole interview lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Gray, ME

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2012.

Interview Details – i was called by a representative from Starbucks for an interview and i went a day after she called me.

Interview Question – are you nice?   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Geneseo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Interview Details – I kept looking for an opportunity to work for Starbucks. The person from college HR department interviewed me on the day of me walking into their office, got my resume and said she did not have any open positions. After I got home, I emailed that person with a list of reasons why I wanted to work for Starbucks on campus and why they had to take me. 2 weeks later there was a couple of open shifts and they called me back.

Interview Question – Are you going to be fully committed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Time was the biggest issue to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks interview questions and advice. All 1,050 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.