Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
1,276 Interview Reviews

2.5

Barista Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

I had a manager from another Starbucks refer me to another manager at a nearby location. I was already a customer for 2 years and knew only the manager who referred me. The other manager approached me inside Starbucks and asked if I was interested in a job (I had tried to get a job at the store I frequented every day). I said yes and she asked me for my phone number and called me the next day to set up an interview time. It was about three days away. I showed up at the interview and it took only about 20 minutes. I was cheery and upbeat in my interview and was honest that I was not a morning person, which worked out great because she listened and started me out on nights after my two-week paid training. She called me about a day or two after saying I was hired and told me when my training started.

Interview Questions
    • What was one situation where you had a customer complaint and how did you address/fix the problem?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

The hiring process is simple. They invite you to the store after taking about three days to call you about your application. They talk about the company standards and policies and talk about dress code and job expectations. They ask questions about your previous job experience. If they are wanting to hire you, then you will know by the end of the interview, they will ask if you have your different forms of i.d. including your SSN/card. It takes about 5-7 days to finish the background check and they will call you in for training briefly afterwards.

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2010.

Honesty and integrity are critical to the interview process. Be able to speak to every point or fact you present. Can you explain the what's, why's, and results? There is no "correct" answer to be given. You need to respond in a way that shows how you function as a leader and manager. If you try to respond in a way you feel is the "correct" answer, you have already failed.

Interview Questions
    • Defining the difference between being a manager and a leader.   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Applied online, a week later I came in to speak with the hiring manger and they weren't there so the employees said to come the next day. When I did the manager said it was his last day so he wasn't justified to make any hiring decisions. A week later I called the store and spoke with the new manager and she said if they were hiring she would call me. After all this I finally got a call for the interview. It started out relaxed and they offered me a drink and I sat down by myself waiting for it while the manager was waiting on the drink to be made to give it to me. It took place outside on a table and the basic questions were asked and no trick questions at all. Just how I would react to certain situations. After there was no guarantee for the job since a background check was needed but she said it looked good. I got the call that I passed the background check and was offered the job on the phone and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • They were all situational questions besides" what are three characteristics your friends would use to call you."   Answer Question
    She asked if $9.00 would be alright but since this was my first job I wasn't in a position to ask for much more.

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2011.

Be specific in answering questions. STAR your answers. Situation, Task, Action you took, Result. Be very cal , they want to know you can keep it together when things get hairy. Think spock...try to answer the questions as logical as posible..keep it simple and dont forget to star your answers

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you failed to meet the customers expectations. What happened? What did you do to fix it and what was the end result?   View Answer

Rather not say

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2010.

Dropped off an application. I received a call from the store manager to come in for an interview. I spoke with the assistant manager and store manager for about 30 mins. They were both very friendly. Offered the job at the spot.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

First interview with recruiter was very generic, 2nd interview with recruiter was behavior based questions, asking to give examples of coaching and follow up. At this point, there wasn't a position open, but simply interviewing in case an opportunity opened up.

The follow up was my initiative; both email and voice mail. After applying on-line and not hearing anything, I'd found the recruiter and sent an email with my resume attached in order to get an interview. Same thing after both interviews, I'd needed to follow up.

Interview Questions
    • After reviewing an example of a less than positve customer experience and how I'd resolved the issue and coached the team, the recruiter asked ..... what did you do? It was as if they hadn't been listening.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Applied online to 5 locations. Got a call back from the manager the same day. Scheduled an interview for 2 days after, although she called to move interview to a different store. Interview was standard Q&A like "Why Starbucks?" etc. It was fairly casual, the manager seemed to respond positively when I talked about my past experiences. She sold it well without any fanatical zeal, so I enjoyed talking with her.

Interview Questions
    • Since I don't have much work experience, she wanted me to talk about my volunteering experience (I'm a predental student). Not difficult however.   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and it took 4 weeks after constantly calling and asking about my application to finally have an interview this afternoon. they want to make sure you're interested in the job before they set up an interview. The manager was super friendly and sociable. I had a really great experience and felt the interview went great. I was super nervous at first, but she made me feel super comfortable and that helped me a lot. It was more of a friendly conversation than a formal off the clip board interview. which made it easier to talk with her. she asked me the following questions:
    1.) why starbucks?
    2.)what did you notice while being in the store?
    3.)when was a time a co-worker was treating you disrespectfully, and how did you react/handle it?
    4.)what was a time a co-worker was doing something against policy, and what did you do/ how did you fix the problem?
    that's all I can remember, hope I helped!:)

Interview Questions
    • if you had all the money in the world, where would you go?   Answer Question

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2012.

I started by going online and applying for the position of store manager. I applied to 5 different stores that had a sign that said now hiring managers. The sign was misleading since it took about 4 months for someone to get in touch with me. From there I had a series of interviews, over the phone and one on one.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to do a coffee tasting and show my knowledge of coffee.   View Answer
    • What was the last project you managed and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!