Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
-Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
-Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
-What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
-What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
-What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
-Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
-Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Wear what you've seen Starbucks baristas wear to your interview. If you can't comply with the dress code (no tattoos visible/more than two piercings on each ear), don't apply. Be extremely quirky, but educated. Starbucks likes people with high energy.

Interview Question – How long do you plan to stay with Starbucks?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – I had experience in coffee shops, learned the dress code, shirts with collars.....bought the book on CD, listen to it over and over, applied for the job, I had no tattoos, the assistant manager, had tattoos from her finger to her elbow! I no longer go to Starbucks.

Interview Question – Availability is the biggest issue. I said I was avail, 24 X7, including holidays, and I wouldbe happy to work any shift. I did not get a call back......they are looking for reasons NOT to hire you.   View Answers (2)

Ormond Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called the next day. I then went to the interview a couple days later and had a very nice and laid back talk with the manager. I was called a few days later and was hired.

Interview Questions

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Short, simple, and straight to the point. Starbucks does not drug test, they only do a background check. Just be yourself and try to smile. They're looking for folks who want to grow with the company. They're not looking for individuals looking for a quick buck.

Negotiation Details – Negotiate pay.

Barista

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online via their website to a couple of stores in my area. I called each store to check the status of my application. In two of the stores the hiring manager was never in when I called so I left my name and gave them a chance to call me back. One of the hiring managers finally called me. She did a mini interview over the phone asking about why I want to work for the company, my availability, and was ok with me being a college student. She scheduled the in person interview. I interviewed with her and another manager. They were both very nice which calmed my nerves a bit. They asked 5 STARS format question straight from a packet. The first was tell me about a time when a customer was unsatisfied with you, tell me about a situation when a coworker wasn't following policy, they wanted to know about a situation where I worked with a coworker that was unfriendly or disrespectful, a time where I had to Upsell, and a time where I received constructive criticism when I didn't know I was being criticized. I had previous experience as a barista and I made sure I threw in names of drinks and common incidences that could happen at Starbucks because they're looking for detailed answers. Overall, it was a very easy interview. I received a call back in about one hour extending an offer to work for them. The whole process took about a week and a half.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No pay negotiation

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – To be hired at Starbucks, they generally ask that you interview with two managers from two different stores - one for the location that you are looking to apply to and an additional location. They ask a lot of questions about your experience working in a team and delivering customer service. I was asked several different questions about how I have handled difficult customer situations in my past employment. The criminal background check necessary to start working with this company can take a few weeks.

Interview Question – I was asked if I was good at Tetris. This definitely caught me off-guard. I'm not sure if this is a standard question or my manager was just curious.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate my new barista salary, but every review and promotion that I have received since I have been able to negotiate my pay up from the initial offer.

Very Easy Interview

Killeen, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on Monday then called. I keep calling every day until the hiring manger told me she would not be able to check until Friday. I called on Friday and she said to give her a few minuets to look over my application and then she would call me back. she called me back five minuets later and then scheduled me an interview the fallowing Monday.

Interview Question – None. Everything she asked me was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating.

Barista

I applied in-person and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I hand delivered my resume to the store manager. I was really eager to get the job and super outgoing and friendly. Told the manager I would get there at 3am if I needed to. I ended up working some opening shifts which required me to be there at 4:30am.

Barista

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later I got a call for them. They asked me to come in. I sat down and the manager asked me if I wanted a drink. It was free but for good measure, I tried to pay, and they didnt let me. They asked me questions about my job experience. Why did I want to work at Starbucks?

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation. How did you handle that situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was my first time I didn't know I could negotiate. Though now, I know you can as long as they really want you and you have awesome availability.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!