Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014
1,285 Interview Reviews

2.5

District Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

one interview with the regional director and one phone interview with the Regional Vice President; very comfortable process. I was an internal candidate so my District Manager at the time helped prep me quite well. For external candidates, it can be difficult as there is typically a panel interview via phone first.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview process, (Situation, Action, Result, Interesting Fact)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

I applied online to the 4-5 closest stores in my area. I was able to rank these stores in my order of preference, but ultimately they placed me where they wanted me, not my first choice (or even my second or third), but still somewhere that was easily accessible for me (I don't have my license, I take public transportation). I dressed Business Casual in clean, simple attire, I think I wore a simple black dress with a black cardigan and flats. I'm pretty sure I was contacted via telephone to schedule an in person interview within' the week. On the date of my interview I arrived 15 minutes early, went to the register to inform a Barista of my arrival. I was offered a complimentary drink of my choosing, I think I got a standard tall latte of some sort, nothing too fancy, to show I was a consumer of the products. I sat down in the cafe area (actually not at the store I was officially hired at, the one up the street from it) and waited for the manager to meet me. As it turns out, I was met by not one, but two managers. They were both male and I was surprised at how at ease I felt after a short period of time talking to them. The questions were simple and fluid. Prior to my Starbucks interview I had only had a handful of interviews, but this was by far my easiest one to date. They even asked a few personal questions about what I liked to do in my spare time. Starbucks seems to value, and embrace, people who are quirky, artsy, or a little weird (in the best way). Be friendly, engaging, and smile a lot! They just want to see that you're personable and visualize you interacting positively with customers. Seamless process. I was very impressed. I got an offer. On my first day I could already tell it would be a great place to work, and I felt like part of a family.

Interview Questions
    A little higher than minimum wage, still not enough to live on long term, no negotiation.

Digital Imaging Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Was referred by a friend that worked at another location. Received call one week after applying. Smooth and comforting interview with 3-4 others in line before and after. I was lucky enough to already have knowledge about cameras because it was a side hobby.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you more qualified for this position than the average person?   View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Put in my application for Barista online (was listed as "full-time"). The a call about a week later from the manager. He conducted a small interview, asking my why I was interested in Starbucks and what my schedule was. He then asked me to come in the following week for an interview. I met with him inside Starbucks in the cafe and he basically read the questions off of the papers he had. He informed me he needed someone part-time. The questions are basically to test your character and get an idea of how you act in the workplace, "What was a time you went above and beyond for Customer Service?" "When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?" "How would you deal with a co-worker you didn't get along with?"

Got a call a few days later saying he went with another candidate which was fine since I was looking for a full-time position anyway.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time a co-worker was not following company policy, what did you do?   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

I submitted a paper application (they only do online applications now), and then followed up in person a couple of times after a few days. I was given a VERY casual interview by the assistant manager, then received a phone call later that day for a second interview with the store manager. The second interview was also very casual. I was mostly asked about previous customer service experience, what my schedule was like, and when I could start working.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a very difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I was basically told the starting pay rate for a barista (this was in 2004) was $7.00/hr not including tips.

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks.

The manager read straight from a script and asked in depth questions that seemed more oriented towards management than Shift Supervisor. The interview was very rigid and lacked any manager personality included.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult task that you have had to do as a Manager?   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Took about 2 weeks. Called in for an in-person interview about a week after filling out application online. Had interview, was called 2 days later and offered job pending background check which takes up to a week. Then scheduled training.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Received a call about a week or two after I first applied. Short phone interview, just asked about my availability, nothing complicated it was more like a casual conversation. Scheduled a face to face interview at the location, was offered a drink while I waited. She explained the benefits and dress code, as well as what I would be doing if I got the job. Pretty simple, I wasn't really asked many questions, it was mostly just her talking. She was very friendly and the interview itself was very casual. At the end she said she would call within the next couple of days with an answer.

Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2010.

Easy just know the mission statement and know something about coffee and tea. They will ask you. Smile and show interest in wanting the job job job job job job job job job

It was easy

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2011.

Be specific in answering questions. STAR your answers. Situation, Task, Action you took, Result. Be very cal , they want to know you can keep it together when things get hairy. Think spock...try to answer the questions as logical as posible..keep it simple and dont forget to star your answers

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you failed to meet the customers expectations. What happened? What did you do to fix it and what was the end result?   View Answer

Rather not say

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!