Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Starbucks-Barista Interview

Starbucks-Barista
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – The Manager contacted me about 2 days later after I had applied online. The interview consisted of a list of questions she would read to me. Questions:
Why do you want to work for Starbucks?
Describe a situation when you helped to solve a problem?
How would you handle a fellow employee that wasn't doing his job?
Describe a time when a customer was not satisfied with your service. What did you do to fix the problem?
Unfortunately the interviewer was unprofessional, the interview was held outside and she wore sunglasses the whole interview, I couldn't see most of her face and I believe that eye contact is very important. She just read the questions to me on a monotonous and bored manner, I didn't feel a connection with her.

Interview Question – It wasn't difficult just be prepared to answer questions about your customer service skills, ethics, how quickly you learn, how well you work as part of a team etc..   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a job offer from another company and I accepted

Riverside, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – First job. Had a current employee refer me to work here, from then on applied online and sent Resume to manager in person. Initial interview was with the Assistant Manager to get to know you, why you wanted to work here and why you'd think you'd be a good fit for this company and what you know about this company. Had a second interview 3 weeks after the initial with the actual Manager, lots of behavioral questions. Strengths and weaknesses, as well as previous work experience questions.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses and tell me a challenge that you encountered at your previous job and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Barista

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Two interviews required. I interview initially at the location I was going to be working at. Asked basic questions with the STAR format. The store manager sat me down with a beverage of my choice. There weren't very many interview questions... I want to say 5 at most? I then did a follow up interview at a second location. This was the common hiring practice for the area. The second interview was conducted by a different store manager. He was friendly, and we had a lot in common, which made the interview go very smoothly.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details – Very friendly and welcoming environment. Went into store saying they were hiring and asked for an application Interviewed very soon afterwards. Pretty great that no prior work experience is needed.

Interview Question – nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Tustin, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call the next morning. Short phone interview and was then invited in for another interview in store. Went in the next morning and did the interview with the store manager which ended with her asking me for information to do a background check with. She didn't really seem to care about much other than the fact I had completely open availability, but I did talk up the company alot just to make sure she knew I wanted to work there (I think this helped a lot). Anyway. this was all on wednesday, she said she'd call on friday. She didn't call on friday so I called to follow up and they told me that manager goes between different stores so they didn't know when she'd be back. She eventually called on monday to offer me the job which I took.

Interview Question – STAR format. Typical interview questions, nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay a little above minimum wage and I just took that.

Barista - Starbucks

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Pleasant managers, encouraging staff, typical questions... willing to teach you what you need to know. Good video training and practice sessions the explain every thing in detail. They want you to succeed! They have flexible schedule and are willing to work with you around college class schedules.

Negotiation Details – Standard wages for this type of position.

New Fairfield, CT

I applied online and interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – simple, standard procedure. I applied online, went through several questionnaires on their sight, talked with the manager on the phone and then went in for the interview. And was offered a position within the hour. Not impressed with the manager. I didn't think she was really starbucks image. I later learned that she was from Friendly's restaurant background.

Negotiation Details – nothing, she said even with all my experience they could only offer me the 6months rate (in CT it was $9.50 p/hr) later when I transferred to Albany, they didn't tell me it would go down to $7.95)

Very Easy Interview

Kenner, LA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was relatively short. I put in a online application and 2-4 weeks later was called in for an interview. The interview consisted of the most basic questions imaginable. A week or so later I was called for an offer of said position and accepted. Training for the position began the following week.

Interview Question – For me the most difficult question was name three things about yourself that you could work on. I feel like this is a trick question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I started at $8.40 which was a dollar over minimum wage and was please at the time.

Barista - Starbucks

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I applied to the specific store along with a few other locations. I was a minor, and it would be my first job. I had no other job experience. After applying online, I waited about a week, and then finally called asking about my application. The store manager was not there at the time, but one of the baristas who answered the phone gladly took my name down. I was very nice to him over the phone, and very thankful. This can be pretty important, because I have heard stories from other baristas that don't even put the person's name down if they are rude or sound uninterested. After he took my name down, I received a call a few days later from the store manager. We spoke over the phone, where she asked some basic questions like "Why do you want to work at Starbucks" and the most common "Tell me about yourself." Another question was on availability. I made myself as available as possible with no limitations, and I truly feel that this aided in my employment. She immediately set up an interview for the very next day. I went in, letting one of the baristas know that I was here to see the store manager about a job interview. She was with another applicant across the store from me so I sat down quiet and alert. A barista will offer you a complimentary drink. Do accept the drink, it's a little bit of a test, or so some say. However, I would suggest graciously accepting the drink and thanking them for taking time out to make one for free. It might look even better if you offer to pay at first. After waiting about 20-30 minutes, she finally sat down with me where we switched to sitting outside. The basic questions are situational ones that you have done in the past. If you did not have a prior employment like I did, then your interviewer will tell you to refer to school/club situations. They are very big on volunteers and people actively involved in their community. They will ask situations that sound wordy and difficult, but if you get past the vocabulary it asks pretty basic stuff. Always refer to these stories on practicing leadership and cooperation amongst groups in situations like school and any volunteer groups you were at. Be sure to fit in a variety of stories with colorful backgrounds so the interviewer may get a further insight on what you did besides just saying "I vounteered at a homeless shelter". Instead, say "Well, during one of my volunteer shifts at the soup kitchen, several group members were stealing the supplies. I practiced honesty and leadership by telling them that what they were doing was wrong and proceeded to report them." After the interview's main questions are over, and the interviewer asks "Do you have any questions for me?" If you can't think of anything at the time, ask something about the interviewer. "How long have you worked at Starbucks?" "Do you like it here?" "What's your favorite drink?" A personal touch to the interview, which is what I did, will let the interviewer know that you are friendly and you care about that person and what they have to say. Customer service is more important than anything at this job, so showing that side of you is sure to get you in.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time that you were criticized for something you felt was not worthy of criticizing?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I made myself highly available. Many jobs right now, due to some recent poor decisions in the current presidential administration, end up restricting employers from hiring for full time, due to the requirement of providing benefits for full time employees. This increases the amount of part-timers, because a company that wishes to earn profit cannot spend all of its money on healthcare benefits. This availability could change with the change of administration currently in office, so this answer could vary over the years. There was very little negotiation when I made myself so available, so there would've been no reason to not hire me due to availability. I suggest doing this for yourself, if you are able.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate. They mostly judged off of work ethic, etc. They promote easily for supervisor, but stop there. It is not easy to become an assistant manager or manager internally.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks