Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
1,361 Interview Reviews

2.4

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Apply online, get locked in by a manager. Sit down interview with the manager. Series of questions about your experience and what kind of job environment you are looking for. Pretty simple process, you could be handed a job by a manager being desperate or be turned down for the job based on how much the manager thinks you are qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a problem being told to complete a task by your superior?   View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Starbucks.

Everything was great. I was given a behavioral interview and hired within a couple of days. Shortly after my interview, I was introduced to everyone, and was on the floor shortly after hiring.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you were new at a job, and what did you do to break the ice with your co-workers?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Several rounds, multiple days and panels. All participants were very welcoming and easy to converse with. The panel consisted of 3 people and individuals were usually the final levels of approval.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and it took 4 weeks after constantly calling and asking about my application to finally have an interview this afternoon. they want to make sure you're interested in the job before they set up an interview. The manager was super friendly and sociable. I had a really great experience and felt the interview went great. I was super nervous at first, but she made me feel super comfortable and that helped me a lot. It was more of a friendly conversation than a formal off the clip board interview. which made it easier to talk with her. she asked me the following questions:
    1.) why starbucks?
    2.)what did you notice while being in the store?
    3.)when was a time a co-worker was treating you disrespectfully, and how did you react/handle it?
    4.)what was a time a co-worker was doing something against policy, and what did you do/ how did you fix the problem?
    that's all I can remember, hope I helped!:)

Interview Questions
    • if you had all the money in the world, where would you go?   Answer Question

Procurement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Initial phone screen with HR followed by a 30 minute phone screen with the hiring manager (your future boss). On-site interview consisted of 6 back-to-back 30-45 minute interviews with immediate team and cross-functional team members (in 1s and 2s). Hiring was largely focused on creating a match to the role based on your experience. Some behavioral questions, but more focus on a conversation / good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult person you ever managed.   Answer Question
    Limited negotiation on base salary. There was some potential to increase the bonus offer. If you are from out of state, you may look to negotiate relocation assistance (which you may need to pay back after 1-2 years).

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

I dropped my application off to a barista behind the counter, and got a call to schedule an interview a few days after! I felt very comfortable talking to the barista to whom I dropped my application off to, and also felt very welcomed when I walked into my interview later on that week! A shift supervisor interviewed me, and I got hired soon after!

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of situational/ response type of questions, but I always find that honesty is the best policy!   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

1st interview was with store manager. 2nd interview was with district manager. 2nd was slightly challenging, and she kept a poker face so I had no clue they were going to offer me employment.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked in 2nd interview How much money did your former coffeeshop bring in on a single day?   View Answer
    They told me my pay at orientation, there was no negotiation

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Overall, it took about one month between the date that I applied for the job, and the date that the job was officially offered to me. I was called by the Recruiter about 4 days after initially applying, we set up a phone interview for the following week. The interview went for about 20-25 minutes during which we discussed my work history, interests outside of work, accomplishments at my previous jobs, and why I decided to apply for Starbucks. The interview felt very relaxed and almost as if I was talking to a friend.

My best advice would be to always be honest. Don't worry if you cant immediately answer a question. Ask if you can come back to that subject later while you continue with the interview. When giving examples of accomplishments, DONT give vague examples like "you sold the most phones at your store". Give specifics. If you managed to reduce over time, say so and give an honest percentage of how much you helped in reducing it. If you saved your company money due to inventory management or by reorganizing a specific program, explain and how much was saved by the company. $ and %’s are a big plus. Regarding outside interests, don't give something like playing video games, or playing football with your buddies. Be honest but be imaginative. Remember that Starbucks is a community oriented company. They are all about giving back and looking out for the communities that they're in. If youre into community service, say so. Let them know what you’ve done, how the idea came up, purpose, and final outcome. When youre asked why you decided to apply, give a personal experience that you had with Starbucks. Ive been a Starbucks regular and though I didn't ask anyone what they thought of the company, I knew that they were happy. If you pass the phone interview, you will then be asked to come in for a face to face interview with two District Managers.

Below I am listing some of the questions that I was asked both during the phone interview and the face to face interview. I wont be able to remember each one but I will list as many as I can remember.
    Questions :
    1. Give an example where you had to deal with a difficult employee or coworker. What caused the issue? What did you do to resolve the situation? (if you can give specifics, even better. Names, specific causes, time frame, etc.)
    2. Give an example where you had a conflict with a supervisor. (same questions as above)
    3. Give an example of your strengths. Weaknesses. (For this one, I suggest adding what you are doing to improve your weaknesses)
    4. Give an example of how you have (or would) inform employees on the tasks that need to be accomplished for the day or any directives that come down from headquarters.
    5. What did you study in college? How would you apply what you learned, in the Asst. Mgr. position? (My major is not at all related to retail or hospitality. I do have management experience and luckily my major is very people oriented. So I was able to give an honest answer and how that would greatly benefit not only my performance, but also my contribution to the company.)
    6. Give an example of a time that you had to have a tough conversation with someone.
    7. Give an example of a time that you had to bring up a coworker's/subordinate's performance.

This is about all I can remember for now. If you make it to the face to face interview, you might be offered something to drink. Accept it but don't ask for something outrageously expensive. Keep it simple. You will be asked if you have any questions for them so my advice would be to come prepared. Prior to the interview think of any questions that you may have or something that you would like cleared up. DONT ask for what your salary will be. You can look online (and on this website) for a range of salaries for this position. Besides, the salaries are good and the benefits are very well worth it. Along with those benefits Im including working with people that actually want to be there. Trust me, its worth it.

After the interview, the DM's will excuse you, thank you for your time and will most likely stay behind to discuss their thoughts and opinions. Thank them for the opportunity. Remember to take your trash out. Remember that as an Assistant Manager youre responsible for others, not the other way around.

From here, if you are cleared for moving forward, your recruiter will submit a background check. It might take a week or two but don't worry. Youre recruiter will keep you up to date on the progress. SBUX is really good about that.

Remember, BE HONEST! You don't want to lie, you don't want to get caught in a lie, and you don't want to say you can do something and then show the complete opposite once you are working and responsible for 7-15 people. Remember, its not just your employment, salary, and livelihood at stake. It's also the partners' employment, salary, and livelihood that youre being responsible for. Don't be one of "those" managers.

Interview Questions
    I thought the offer was fair since I hadn't previously worked for Starbucks.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Received a call about a week or two after I first applied. Short phone interview, just asked about my availability, nothing complicated it was more like a casual conversation. Scheduled a face to face interview at the location, was offered a drink while I waited. She explained the benefits and dress code, as well as what I would be doing if I got the job. Pretty simple, I wasn't really asked many questions, it was mostly just her talking. She was very friendly and the interview itself was very casual. At the end she said she would call within the next couple of days with an answer.

District Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

one interview with the regional director and one phone interview with the Regional Vice President; very comfortable process. I was an internal candidate so my District Manager at the time helped prep me quite well. For external candidates, it can be difficult as there is typically a panel interview via phone first.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview process, (Situation, Action, Result, Interesting Fact)   Answer Question