Starbucks Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
1,248 interviews

2.5

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

The interview was held at a local Starbucks where there were several area managers meeting with prospective employees. The atmosphere was relaxed, but professional. There were several specific questions asked that required me to describe in detail how I solved a customer service issue in one of my past work environments. I described the issue, what actions I took to solve the issue, and the subsequent outcome of my actions (how the issue was resolved).

Interview Questions
    • The toughest question I was asked had to do with how I handled a situation where a customer was not happy.   Answer Question

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Olney, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Olney, MD

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

It took me 3 years to be promoted to Assistant manager. failed 3 interviews by 6 different district managers who don't know your worth ethic or you. very nerve wracking. Once i got to assistant the training is short and horrible. I did not get to finish training i don't think. I was a manager with my own store for over a year and got a DM who failed my on my last interview and had to come back and tell me I was promoted after a "round table discussion". After this she had a vendetta. Never had write ups before this and she gave me 3 over a 6 month period and was terminated. I wrote howard shultz a letter and partner resources contacted me back. not Howard. I tried to fight for my job but even though I was there 7 years and believe I was wrongfully terminated they didn't care. I now have to find a new career at age 37. The interview process is ridiculous. Good luck if you want anything quickly.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interview questions they make difficult. They want to hear how you got out of a tough situation. You may not have had one so you have to make up a situation just to answer the question. My store manager had to coach me on how to answer the questions with the "Starbuck's Lingo". Pretty ridiculous. If you thought you answered the questions perfectly. you didn't! You probably failed. They do not pass anyone on their first interview! remember "It's JUST coffee!"   View Answer

Barista On UK Campus Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2010.

The questions I was asked in my interview 4 years ago are the same questions I use now that I am a manager. As a manager, I would ask people typical questions like tell me about yourself, strengths/ weaknesses and such. One of the most important questions I would ask was "what does excellent customer service mean to you/ give me an example of what it is". I also would ask about a time the person provided excellent customer service to someone.

Interview Questions
    • If you cannot provide a good answer about excellent customer service, I cannot see the interview going well for you. That is everything to Starbucks! Customers are everything. Everything else in the interview like availability and hours is pretty straight forward questions.   Answer Question
    When I did my phone interview, I was called back an hour later with an offer. I accept and was told when my training was scheduled and what to wear (dress code standards). Remember: this was a licensed store Starbucks on the University of Kentucky's campus. Although it is similar to other store procedures, this could vary depending on location.

Barista Interview

Easy hire, easy interview. Met one on one and discussed your position and when to start. Most employees are very nice and overall this process was smooth. Once hired, you are trained but as to how well, it depends on location.

Store Manager Interview

first is a phone interview with HR. This will just be basic questions about your experience and what you are looking for in a job. Then is a in person interview with two district managers. they will ask more in depth questions about your experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you received unsolicited feedback about your performance.   View Answer

Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

I submitted an online application, you cannot fill out applications in the store. I waited a few days and called the store I was trying to work at. Fortunately, the Store Manager answered the phone and was filing through applications when I called. I was asked a few questions about my prior work experience while he looked through my application. We then set up an interview time later in the week. While at the interview I was offered any drink I wanted and we sat in the cafe to go through the interview questions. It was a very relaxed and comfortable setting, all though it was a bit awkward not being in an area where current employees and customers couldn't overhear the conversation. After a couple minutes you will get comfortable with the laid back interview style. After the interview the manager told me to expect to hear back from him by Monday. (my interview was on a Thursday) I got a call, as promised, Monday afternoon and accepted the position. I started a few days later. The hiring process goes quickly. Once hired training begins as soon as possible and can last up to a couple weeks depending on how quickly you catch on.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are pretty standard. I can't think of anything that was too difficult to answer. Most questions had to do with scenarios of how you would handle situations and what kind of worker you are. Pretty basic, nothing too challenging. If you don't understand the way the question is worded just ask! Most of the management I encountered were extremely friendly and willing to explain the questions further.   Answer Question
    It seemed like all baristas start at minimum wage. Starbucks is very strict on how you submit your requests for certain hours (a form is filled out upon hire) you are able to change your availability whenever and depending on the store manager, they are very accommodating.

If considering a job at Starbucks I would definitely try and negotiate a high start pay, its worth a try, especially if you have had prior work experience in the same industry. I would definitely negotiate my terms of employment if I had it to do all over again.

Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Within a week of applying I was called in for an interview, which is very nice considering other companies don't reply or respond at all. Manager doing the interview was very nice, told all about the benefits for the job, focused on being friendly with customers and being able to handle being under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you have a problem cleaning bathrooms?" He asked this because every employee has to do it at some point, and thinks no one should be exempt from cleaning the bathroom.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Upon arriving to the store, I approached the barista behind the counter and informed them of my interview. One of them went to the back to let the manager know while the other offered a free drink, which I have accepted. The manager made her appearance, holding a clipboard and a blank sheet of paper to take notes on. She was cordial and straight to the point, explaining that the interview process will mainly focus on questions that will help her understand the personality of the interviewee. A few set of questions asked that I can immediately recall are, "How do you go about meeting new people?", how you organize yourself in order to tackle a busy environment that requires multitasking, whether or not you have work experience, and so forth. The manager was patient and seemed to be understanding, reminding me that it was okay to take my time with my responses to her questions. The most fun part about the interview process was asking her questions and hearing her responses to them which helps me learn a little more about the manager and the company, too. Upon wrapping it up, she had stated that she will be going over the information she had gathered of not only me, but other interviewees and will call accordingly if interested. I asked whether or not they were taking resumes and cover letters and handed them when she had responded with a yes. Overall, it was a laid back sort of interview where you are able to incorporate your interest in working for Starbucks with your response and also, expressing your personality in a general manner.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you go about meeting new people?" My being reserved, I was momentarily stumped, though if asked next time, an answer will flow more smoothly, I'm sure.   Answer Question

Starbucks Store Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I applied by sending in a resume to a recruiter. They had a poster up in one of they're stores. I received an email back the same day. Set up a phone interview for a week later. Interview lasted about 15 minutes on the phone. The recruiter asked about my previous employment and then if I had knowledge of P&L statements. After the call I was sent emails to apply for the actual position then take a virtual job tour.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience with P&L statements?   View Answer
    I took their first offer. Starbucks pay is very competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

the online application is very easy to fill out, it takes about 15 minutes to complete it. if the location where you applied to is hiring at the time your application gets to the manager, you will get a call to set up an interview within one or two days. they require no previous work experience and you have to be 16 years old to apply.

Interview Questions
    • there are no difficult questions, they ask you if you are skilled on computers, if you are looking for a full or part time job, if this is your very first job or not. and how you feel about working with heating elements.   View Answer
    no negotiation at all.