Starbucks

Average Difficulty
1,202 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista - Starbucks

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I applied to the specific store along with a few other locations. I was a minor, and it would be my first job. I had no other job experience. After applying online, I waited about a week, and then finally called asking about my application. The store manager was not there at the time, but one of the baristas who answered the phone gladly took my name down. I was very nice to him over the phone, and very thankful. This can be pretty important, because I have heard stories from other baristas that don't even put the person's name down if they are rude or sound uninterested. After he took my name down, I received a call a few days later from the store manager. We spoke over the phone, where she asked some basic questions like "Why do you want to work at Starbucks" and the most common "Tell me about yourself." Another question was on availability. I made myself as available as possible with no limitations, and I truly feel that this aided in my employment. She immediately set up an interview for the very next day. I went in, letting one of the baristas know that I was here to see the store manager about a job interview. She was with another applicant across the store from me so I sat down quiet and alert. A barista will offer you a complimentary drink. Do accept the drink, it's a little bit of a test, or so some say. However, I would suggest graciously accepting the drink and thanking them for taking time out to make one for free. It might look even better if you offer to pay at first. After waiting about 20-30 minutes, she finally sat down with me where we switched to sitting outside. The basic questions are situational ones that you have done in the past. If you did not have a prior employment like I did, then your interviewer will tell you to refer to school/club situations. They are very big on volunteers and people actively involved in their community. They will ask situations that sound wordy and difficult, but if you get past the vocabulary it asks pretty basic stuff. Always refer to these stories on practicing leadership and cooperation amongst groups in situations like school and any volunteer groups you were at. Be sure to fit in a variety of stories with colorful backgrounds so the interviewer may get a further insight on what you did besides just saying "I vounteered at a homeless shelter". Instead, say "Well, during one of my volunteer shifts at the soup kitchen, several group members were stealing the supplies. I practiced honesty and leadership by telling them that what they were doing was wrong and proceeded to report them." After the interview's main questions are over, and the interviewer asks "Do you have any questions for me?" If you can't think of anything at the time, ask something about the interviewer. "How long have you worked at Starbucks?" "Do you like it here?" "What's your favorite drink?" A personal touch to the interview, which is what I did, will let the interviewer know that you are friendly and you care about that person and what they have to say. Customer service is more important than anything at this job, so showing that side of you is sure to get you in.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time that you were criticized for something you felt was not worthy of criticizing?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I made myself highly available. Many jobs right now, due to some recent poor decisions in the current presidential administration, end up restricting employers from hiring for full time, due to the requirement of providing benefits for full time employees. This increases the amount of part-timers, because a company that wishes to earn profit cannot spend all of its money on healthcare benefits. This availability could change with the change of administration currently in office, so this answer could vary over the years. There was very little negotiation when I made myself so available, so there would've been no reason to not hire me due to availability. I suggest doing this for yourself, if you are able.

Barista - Starbucks

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – I am applied to several Starbucks store, and never got a response back. So I kind of gave up looking until a few weeks ago my friend said I should apply for her Starbucks store and use her as a referral. I landed a interview like the next week and it was really easy and chill. I had to get my food handlers card before signing my paperworks the following week and you can get that online. After signing my paperworks, I started training the week after.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you got unexpected feedback from an employer.
What do you know about Starbucks?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – She said she would call me in a few days because she had to interview another person but my friend texted me right after my interview and basically implied that I got the job. I got a call in two days to sign my paperwork. I did not ask for how much I was getting paid because I did not want to make it seem like I am only there for the money. I really wanted to feel the experience of having a real job.

Barista - Starbucks

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly easy. I interviewed with 2 different managers, both realaxed and easy going. The questions to the interview were easy to understand and general in nature. I was also introduced to staff on the clock. I was impressed with the policies and procedures. The hiring process went quickly. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – As always, the most difficult question for me is to give an example of a conflict in your work experience and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Received a call from the recruiter. Asked about past job experiences and then sent an email to set up another phone interview the following week. Had the second phone interview with the pretty much the same questions as the first phone interview. Then I was told that they interview in a biweekly process so he would be in contact with me in the future to set up the next set.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Covington, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – I sent in the application, and heard back a day or two later, the Manager and I talked about my application, and set up my interview for that afternoon. The process was very quick.

Interview Question – Everything that was asked was pretty basic.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted in less than 24 hours by a recruiter who asked basic pre screening questions such as pay and work experience. She asked me to go online and take the "virtual job try out" which is actually pretty neat. It does take about an hour. It puts the manager in different situations such as managing and coaching employees, managing customer complaints and managing financials and PnL. It's pretty easy if you have some prior restaurant experience. Upon completion She emailed me the following day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with the same recruiter and was a pretty easy process and only 30 minutes long. She said she wanted to reach out and get some internal references as I had previously worked for the company as an hourly employee in college 8 years prior. The following day she scheduled an in person interview with a district manager at a Starbucks location close to my house. This was another easy interview. He asked similar question to what the recruiter had asked me in my phone interview. I submitted a background check but no drug test.

Negotiation Details – When we discussed my salary which at the time was 60K. I knew that was well above average for the position and told him I was willing and open to discuss anything. He told me very frankly that $60K was out of their range. They would love to have me but that I needed to really consider what I could afford to accept. That was disappointing to hear as I expected the offer to be significantly less than what I wanted to settle for. The same day the recruiter called me to submit my background. The next day she called with an offer. She offered me the max salary for the position which was $56.5K. According to their policy if your salary is maxed out at your position they will still give you a full merit increase in the form of a bonus. I gladly accepted.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Getting hired at Starbucks used to be difficult. I don't know if it is today. I went through 3 interviews. Most questions were situation-based and focused on customer service. Some focused on waste and time management.

Barista Interview

Barista

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Went to a job "fair" at a Starbucks in Westminster, had a one on one interview and if they liked you moved onto a group interview. Asked us all the same question and went around the circle. Always be sure not to answer with "what she said" be different and stand out!!

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Rehoboth Beach, DE

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2012.

Interview Details – I filled an application online. I called and talked to the manager to set up an interview which took a month to get in. I left the interview felling confident for I previous Starbucks experience working at the kiosk in Safeway. After the interview I had to wait for my background check to go through so I could be hired.

Interview Question – Have you ever had a customer with a complaint? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wanted to get a higher pay because of my previous management experience and it had to be cleared with the district manager.

Barista Interview

Barista
Longview, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty relaxed...I wore flip-flops, white skirt, and a white shirt. Darius had originally interviewed me, but my manager later changed to Stephanie. Darius showed me how everything worked, just basics about Starbucks drinks/food/policies. After I got the job the training did take a while but it was pretty easy to catch on to.

Interview Question – I actually can't remember a difficult question, since I love Starbucks to begin with all I had to do was answer everything honestly. For example the "why do you want to work here" question was a simple answer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The wasn't a negotiation as the pay rate was discussed at the interview. A few days later I received a phone call saying that I got the job. I did get a raise of .25 after 6 months.