Starbucks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
1,280 Interview Reviews

2.5

Barista Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks.

Got a call a day after applying to come to a district wide job fair. Sat down with the manager and another applicant for an interview but left early because they weren't looking to hire seasonal.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

effective interview. good role play set up. immediate feedback gathering. retruiter asked me professionally. not convenient traffic condition. she asked me salary patiently.Ease of work, pay is great for college student, able to complete honor school related activities, ability to work up to

Interview Questions
    • Our associates are the heart of our business. And when you join our team, you’ll become part of the largest retail shopping experience. You’ll help us reinvent the face of our industry, while “The opportunity to have good work life balance is there however you have to ensure you manage it yourself and set boundries for your working hours. The vacation and sick time is great.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Well I walked in, was told to sit down. Waited for forever till the manager came out. He had a sloppy notebook with a bunch of notes in it. The whole time he asked me questions I came back with very informed answers. I had researched a lot, and went in with a great and personable attitude, expecting great things. As I talked to him, I noticed him looking away a LOT. Looking around the store, very ADD like. It was annoying. I ended up leaving not even wanting the job. Shook his hand and never went back. He was extremely rude and had an attitude when he did speak.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

So I went in. And they offered the drink. ALWAYS TAKE IT. Haha I learned that here, I came on here the night before. I sat down n waited for the manager. We sat down. N asked basic questions. Nothing too hard on previous work exp. And customer examples. Then availability. Then that was it.

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time that someone wasn't satisfied with your work?   Answer Question
    7.50 aka none

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hollywood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2012.

Just give the usual " hard working, punctual, honest" worker line. Regardless, it is all up to the store manager to hire. First impression is key. But if the store manager likes your personality, you have the job rather or not you answered correctly or not.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. It is take it or leave it.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

The interview will ask many "situation" questions, such as you giving an example of a time when you were faced with 2 different pending problems at once and had to divide your time. What would you do with a coworker who is slacking off? Time management examples. Overall, the interview is relaxed and just like the one for Baristas, except you must use your Barista experience to prove you can step up to the next level. Honestly, alot of times, you are already in and the interview is just to confirm. Usually a manager will set you up with another manager and then they email each other yay or nay. If you are already established in Starbucks as a decent barista, you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how you satisfied a demanding customer. What could you do better?   Answer Question

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

There were two managers there that I had previously talked to about an interview. When I first arrived they didn't have my resumes that I sent them a week before, but I did bring extras so I handed them each one. Began with the basic questions "Tell me about yourself" and "why starbucks" Now I graduated with an ME degree but Im working on a startup in my spare time so I wasnt looking for an engineering job, but they seemed to be very skeptical about this. I tried to talk heavily about my customer service experience and communication skills and the fact I love Starbucks. Those two questions took about 3 minutes to answer.

Next came the "situational questions" read straight from a piece of paper. There were around 5 and I cant remember all of them...
    "Tell me about a time where something went wrong at your previous job and the boss wasn't there-what did you do"
    These took about 1-2 minutes each to answer.

Then she said "well thats it" this was about 10 minutes in and there hadn't been any questions about previous skills, customer service experience, or anything. I didn't even get any questions during my situational responses. If I knew that was going to happen I would have talked more in the introduction. But I feel like they weren't even taking my application seriously since they didnt even have my resume. I was just very disappointed over all on my way out.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me a specific example of when you encountered unfairness amongst your co-workers and how you handled it"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

Easy interview but a group lent to competitive nature of group. The interviewer did not have much experience interviewing. The entire interview was quick and painless. I didn't get the job because I had no coffee shop experience. I

Interview Questions
    • Most question centered around previous employment and how that could relate to in store situations. My experience didn't match well.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Received a call from the store manager about a interview. Went in for my interview was asked the usual questions, how well do you work under pressure? what if questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you solved a problem?   View Answer

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olney, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olney, MD

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

It took me 3 years to be promoted to Assistant manager. failed 3 interviews by 6 different district managers who don't know your worth ethic or you. very nerve wracking. Once i got to assistant the training is short and horrible. I did not get to finish training i don't think. I was a manager with my own store for over a year and got a DM who failed my on my last interview and had to come back and tell me I was promoted after a "round table discussion". After this she had a vendetta. Never had write ups before this and she gave me 3 over a 6 month period and was terminated. I wrote howard shultz a letter and partner resources contacted me back. not Howard. I tried to fight for my job but even though I was there 7 years and believe I was wrongfully terminated they didn't care. I now have to find a new career at age 37. The interview process is ridiculous. Good luck if you want anything quickly.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interview questions they make difficult. They want to hear how you got out of a tough situation. You may not have had one so you have to make up a situation just to answer the question. My store manager had to coach me on how to answer the questions with the "Starbuck's Lingo". Pretty ridiculous. If you thought you answered the questions perfectly. you didn't! You probably failed. They do not pass anyone on their first interview! remember "It's JUST coffee!"   View Answer