Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online. Received a call from a recruiter about a week later for an initial phone screen. During this brief 15 minute conversation, I was asked about my current responsibilities at my job and how it relates to the ASM position, and how my education (BA in Business) has prepared me for the role. Of course, you will also be asked "Why Starbucks?". It's good to answer that question with a story of a great experience you've had at Starbucks and why that has shown you that you want to be a part of the culture. Be prepared to answer what the highlights of your career have been so far, and if you have experience with profit and loss statements (trust me, they will ask this). If you have no P&L experience, be up front about that, but tell them about what financial documents you do have access to (I have no P&L responsibility in my current role, but I have access to sales numbers and guest survey scores. I also mentioned that I took three accounting classes in college and am very familiar with P&Ls as a result). It was all informal, not technically an interview, but you do need to make a good impression to get asked for the real phone interview.

The next step is a more in depth phone interview, about 45 mins, with the same recruiter. All behavioral questions, STAR format. They will go over the "hows" of your resume more than the "whats". Be prepared with specific examples. Feel free to use names of co workers to help make your stories more real and personal. The questions I was asked:

-Tell me about a time when you had an uncooperative coworker or a coworker you didn't get along with. What was the situation, why were they uncooperative, what was the result?
-Tell me about a time you had to plan out a project. What was your role, etc.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with someone at work.
-Tell me about a time you had to bring a co-workers performance up.

They will ask probing questions about additional actions you took, why you think coworkers were acting in a particular way, etc. Make sure you're able to get as specific as possible about these situations and your actions in them. I passed and was immediately asked for possible dates for a final interview.

The next interview is in-person with two District Managers at a local Starbucks. It will take place on the floor within earshot of customers, so be prepared to that. Be sure to accept the offer of a free drink, because you want to show that you love coffee. Obviously, don't ask for a caramel Frappucino or something ridiculous. I kept it simple and got a Venti Pike Place blend.

The two DMs will probably both have an interview packet, but it will be mostly one asking the questions and one writing your answers (for me it was a little bit of both). These questions are largely the same as the phone interview questions. My questions were:

-Tell me about a time when you had a communication breakdown with a co worker or with your team.
-Tell me about a time you had to have a tough conversation with a co worker (exact question from the phone interview)
-What are your strengths? Give an example of a time you displayed this.
-What are your weaknesses? What are you doing to work on this?
-What are you doing for your personal and professional development?
-Tell me about a time when you didn't have all the answers or didn't know what to do next (this may be the most important question, because they told me they usually never get good answers to this. Luckily, mine was high scope and relevant)
-Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project. (Same as phone interview question. Make sure you give a high scope answer)

They'll ask you if you have any questions and if you have anything to add. Ask about community projects at Starbucks and how you can get involved, how much autonomy ASMs have to make decisions, why the DMs themselves chose Starbucks, etc.

I interviewed on a Friday and got the offer Monday afternoon. I'm incredibly excited for this opportunity. I want to make sure everyone can prepare for these interviews as well as I did, so I wanted to make this as detailed as possible.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you didn't have all the answers" and "Tell me about a time when you had to plan out a project". Make sure these answers are very high scope and show critical thinking, talent management, inspiration, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation room. I was hired at one of the highest pay grades for ASMs at 37k because of my experience and my BA in Business. The benefits are excellent and are really what sets Starbucks apart. I accepted this offer over a potential $43k offer from a different company because of the culture and benefits here.

Fullerton, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2010.

Interview Details – Simple, why should we hire you? What do you know about coffee? What is your availability? all the basics. Do you go to school? Do you have family with the company? How many hours can you work a week? What do you like about Starbucks? Make sure you dress nice, talk clear, and talk with the manager, look them in the eye.

Interview Question – What is your knowledge on coffee?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No

Hollywood, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2012.

Interview Details – Just give the usual " hard working, punctual, honest" worker line. Regardless, it is all up to the store manager to hire. First impression is key. But if the store manager likes your personality, you have the job rather or not you answered correctly or not.

Interview Question – Really it is dummy proof   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It is take it or leave it.

Tustin, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call the next morning. Short phone interview and was then invited in for another interview in store. Went in the next morning and did the interview with the store manager which ended with her asking me for information to do a background check with. She didn't really seem to care about much other than the fact I had completely open availability, but I did talk up the company alot just to make sure she knew I wanted to work there (I think this helped a lot). Anyway. this was all on wednesday, she said she'd call on friday. She didn't call on friday so I called to follow up and they told me that manager goes between different stores so they didn't know when she'd be back. She eventually called on monday to offer me the job which I took.

Interview Question – STAR format. Typical interview questions, nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay a little above minimum wage and I just took that.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online to a couple different locations. I was called a week or less afterwards asking me to come in for an interview for the barista position. It ended up being a group interview for 4 stores (they are all on the same block). I interviewed with two other people and by a different store manager than the one I had talked to and who I would work for. It was probably about half an hour to forty five minutes. He asked us questions from our application, talked about his experiences, and what Starbucks is and what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Wage offered was $8.25 but when I was hired, wage was going up July first in California so, it is going to be $9.50. I am on track to be a shift lead in a month or two after my barista training as well.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – Received a call from the recruiter. Asked about past job experiences and then sent an email to set up another phone interview the following week. Had the second phone interview with the pretty much the same questions as the first phone interview. Then I was told that they interview in a biweekly process so he would be in contact with me in the future to set up the next set.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Generally pretty easy interview process. They are mainly looking for someone who will be good with customers, very friendly and is willing to do a good job.

If you are serious about getting a job at Starbucks. Apply online and visit the stores you applied to in person and introduce yourself to the manager. Make a great impression and you will have a good chance.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Alhambra, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – If they said they were going to call they probably will. It might be a week, but do call again in a week if they don't (be persistent! I remembering calling a couple times). . I wish I was working there because it is a great working environment.Have fun and good-luck.

Interview Question – Explain your last job experience.   Answer Question

Encino, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Went to hiring fairs. That way you can actually meet the manager(s). Just smile a lot, appear outgoing, and talk about how much you enjoy meeting people and how you've helped customers at your previous job. If you've never worked in customer service before, just talk about volunteer work, school, or other interactions with people. Smile and be friendly!

Interview Question – They asked me about my previous jobs; I really don't remember much else.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try. I don't think they are open to negotiation unless you have a lot of prior experience and are going for supervisor or higher position.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online - got a call a few days later to set up an interview. At the start of the interview they will offer you a drink which is important to take. The interview was pretty informal and consists primarily of the behavioral type questions which are described in all the other Starbucks reviews on here:
"Why Starbucks?"
"Tell me about a time when you offered excellent customer service"
"tell about a time when you disagreed with your boss or a co-worker"
"Tell me about a time when you failed or didn't perform your job duties correctly"

there are a lot of different ones they like to use. The key is to be very specific in your examples and to avoid general/broad answers ("Last Tuesday, I was training a new employee and...." is much better than "Generally on the weekdays we get pretty busy and often I will...")
BE SPECIFIC!

Overall, the interview is pretty relaxed and not that difficult. Its good to be upfront with what youre looking for in Starbucks, and at the end it's equally important to ask them some questions which shows you're geuinely interested in the postion.

Immediately following the 1st interview I was told that I would be set up with a 2nd interview at another location.
2nd interview was more of the same - behavioral questions

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake or failed to meet the expectations of your job duties   Answer Question

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!