Starbucks

2.4

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

Took about 2 weeks. Called in for an in-person interview about a week after filling out application online. Had interview, was called 2 days later and offered job pending background check which takes up to a week. Then scheduled training.

Barista Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Oak, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Oak, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Everything was behaivoral based questions

Interview Questions
    • I was asked when I treated someone with respect even though the other had not   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate and they pay close to minimum wage.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

There was a telephone interview that was very structured and the in person interview was very laid back. They ask questions wanting you to give actionable examples of your experience. It was nothing too out of the ordinary. The biggest thing my interviewers kept focusing on was treating team members as people and having a humble approach to service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marquette, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marquette, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview seemed quite standard. Typical "tell me about a time..." questions. Manager didn't seem too concerned about the answer I gave honestly. The rest of the staff was very quiet during my interview, either trying to listen, or trying not to upset the manager while she was on the floor. Normally very loud and enthusiastic when she isn't present.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time that you disagreed with your manager. What did you do about it? What was the outcome?" I hate this question. It's a trap. Of course, at some point in time, you will face this dilemma, and your manager ultimately just wants you to shut up and carry on.   View Answer
    In our area there isn't much negotiating. I mentioned that I worked for $9 before and I would expect $9 again, they pretty much were like "Yea....we'll minimum wage is $7.40, so that's what we'll be paying you." Most employees are treated as very disposable. On many an instance, you will hear a manager say, "If you don't like it, quit. I could hire 10 of you by tomorrow."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2012.

I was interviewed by 2 managers: first interview with a manger at the store I applied to and second interview with the manager of the store that was looking to hire me because my availability better suited the second store. Interview was relatively easy, both managers were very friendly, smiled a lot, and were engaged in the conversation and interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • In my first interview the manager asked if I ever hung out with co-workers outside of work, which i thought was an odd question. He was coming at the question with the angle of 'do I look for opportunities to get along with my co-workers and build positive relationships', but I still thought it was odd to suggest that your willingness to hang out with co-workers outside of work is indicative of whether you are willing to build positive relationships with co-workers while at work.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macomb, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macomb, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2012.

When you have your interview and the manager or district manager feel as if you would be an adequate addition to our team, you are hired and are called in for "first impressions." First impressions consists of a coffee tasting and a rough idea of our recipes, products that we offer, values that we accompany, and some history on Starbucks as a company (and what we're moving towards).

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. It was "we pay minimum wage, but you get tips every week which usually add $2.00 an hour to your pay in cash, a pound of coffee per week to do with as you please and great benefits plus stock options. Which I was okay with to start, but being here so long I'd hope to make more financially by now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in December 2011.

applied online, got a call after one month for interview. interview was easy, basic customer service experience questions and workplace related questions. and then was scheduled for another interview for second opinion at another starbucks with another manager.

i applied for assistant manager but they said they dont need one right now, so they offered me barista position with the minimum wage. i took it thinking i would get promoted later based on my experience and work but never happened.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MI

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Application, test, and resume submitted online. Received call from general manager about 1 week later. Interviewed with GM. Lasted about 40 minutes. Received call from GM about 1 week later with job offer. Started 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. The questions were standard for a retail, customer service, food service interview.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birch Run, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birch Run, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2010.

I think I had it pretty easy. I know every manager is different. However, I came in after applying online to see if I could speak with a manager about my application after a week after I applied. He was there and interviewed my on the spot. I just came home from working at Disney and was without a job ( was only 2 weeks though). He asked me some basic interview questions and then proceeded to talk about life at the store and basically hired me on the spot and asked if I could come back in for training the following week and to sign paperwork, which I did.

The second time I returned to the company I took a 6 month break ( figuring out life at that time). I came back as only a barista since they already of course filled my last position (understandable). It was a second manager ( the one who essentially ended up driving me away from the company after 5.5 years there) and she hired me back on the spot (since she was my manager before I left).

this past 3rd time I came back ( after a 2.5 year hiatus) my manager hired me back on word of mouth of how strong of a worker I was and my reputation even with the district manager and regional managers. They held high value with me as a worker for the company. So no interview, just hired me back without question.

Interview Questions
    • I dont recall any difficult questions. It was very easy and laid back. just essential and regular job interview questions you might expect at any job to see how good of a fit you might be. Show your personality. Starbucks appreciates that sort of thing ( to an extent, lets not get carried away folks)   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in July 2009.

Phone screen and then group interview by HR staff and store managers

Interview Questions
    • As a General Manager with no authority keeping you on task how do you educate and motivate yourself?   Answer Question
    After interview received a call within one week with a job offer