Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to several locations online, but got a response from the location I physically went to and introduced myself to the manager. I was called within a week with a phone interview, where they asked me a few questions:

- How will your college classes interfere with your work schedule when fall arrives
- Why was I leaving my current job
- Why I wanted to work at Starbucks

We then setup a second interview during the upcoming week. This was one on one with the Store Manager, where I was asked:

- Describe a time where you received criticism
- Describe a time when there was a miscommunication between you and your employee
- Explain your history with sales
- Explain your history with project management
- Describe a time you had to have a difficult talk with an employee

And then some more basic questions, such as 'would I be able to make it to work reliably' 'are you able to move up to 40 lbs of product on a daily basis' and 'are you able to be on your feet for long periods of time'. The second interview concluded with the store manager asking if I had any questions for her, where I asked why she chose Starbucks, and some of the relationships between leadership roles.

A third interview was scheduled at the end of the week with a different store manager. Similar to the second, I was asked:

- Describe a time when an employee was being difficult, and how you dealt with it
- Describe a time when you sold a product to a customer that they hadn't originally intended to buy

There were more questions, but those were the only ones I can remember right now (sorry!).

I was called a week later with a job offer- though it was to a different location (which worked out, as it was closer to my house). I believe Starbucks has some managers do the interview process more than others, and if they believe the employee is suited for the job, then they will talk to other managers to find a place for you. This means it is very important to apply to several places, and introduce yourself to each manager, saying something like "Good Morning, I'm __, I submitted an application for employment this morning and just wanted to come by and introduce myself." I believe that's what helped me get the job over the other people applying, at least.

Also- the store manager mentioned that they normally promote from within, because the stress of having to learn several jobs in training can be overwhelming, so keep that in mind as well.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a great hourly wage, and the job receives tips as well. I didn't have a need to negotiate.

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Reno, NV

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line and did not hear anything for over a month, then I was called and a phone interview was conducted for about 1 hour. The standard behavioral questions were asked and then I was told I was going to meet with Regional Managers for a in person interview. Everyone I met with and over the phone were super nice, very pleasant and overall a good experience.

Interview Question – What have I failed at and how did I handle that   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – The Interview process consisted of two interviews; one with the store manager of the store I was applying at, and another interview with a manager from another store. The questions require situational answers following the STAR format; Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you treated a co-worker with fairness and respect, even though they had not treated you in a similar fashion.   Answer Question
  • Please provide an example of when you delivered great customer service?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you failed to reach a customers expectations:   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you dealt with a difficult customer; Tell me about a time you received unexpected critical feedback about your performance. How did the feedback affect your performance?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make at work where you didn’t know the right answer or course of action.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Pay is standard + tips. Automatic raise within 3 months pending a positive rating.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an interview, asking the same questions dealing with what would you do if and how everything works.

Interview Question – What do you do when customers didn't get the right drink? Especially when they ordered extra stuff with their drink.   View Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Barista - Starbucks
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online a couple of times in the past and didn't get a call back or anything. Decided to give it a final go and in a couple of days I received a phonecall from the manager at one of the locations I applied for to go in a couple of days later. Was interviewed by two managers, one from the store I was interviewing in, and the other at the starbucks down the street. Interview went very well, was pretty casual with them, but felt slightly awkward with the wind in my face. They give you a coffee on the house (which you should definitely take!) and made it pretty unique. Sadly my interviewers didn't bring up my coffee selection. Since I had no job experience (and they noticed it on my application) they helped me connect more with the job related questions that they ask you, and instead used school or activities.

They called me back the next day asking me to go to a second interview with another store a little bit farther away the next week. Went to the second interview and was welcomed very openly from the baristas. Ordered the same coffee (pretty good drink, so I couldn't resist) and took a seat. The manager came in and we connected right away. He was very enthused and asked me about my drink which even helped even more. The best advice I can give you is be yourself! They want a genuine person that is friendly and bubbly.

The manager at the second interview called me the next day and told me to go through a background check with the company, and then after I was clear and hired!

Interview Question – Have you ever been given harsh/critical feedback on something? If so, how did you react to this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was some negotiation with my schedule, since I was going away for a little bit prior to the job.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Barista position, and about five days later I received a call from one of the store managers asking me to come in for an interview the following Monday at 9. I arrived and we had a nice short conversation about coffee and why I chose Starbucks, then she asked me the interview questions and she told me to be as descriptive with my answers as possible. She then said she would call me in the coming days to set up a second interview at another Starbucks, and she would then compare notes with the second interviewer and if they thought I was a good match, they would call me. I went to the second interview, and the next day I got a call from a Starbucks in the same district offering me a position.

Interview Questions

Starbucks-Barista Interview

Starbucks-Barista
Las Vegas, NV

The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2011.

Interview Details – The Starbucks interview consist of 2 one on one interviews by 2 different managers. They basically ask the same questions, but do it in this manner to throw you off your game, unfortunately this procedure worked on me because I was very confident and charismatic during the first interview, but confused, flustered, and nervous during the second. They ask basic interviewing questions like why do you want to work here and what would you do to appease an upset customer, and then a few more specific questions like what do you enjoy about coffee and asking you to describe a happy starbucks experience.

they ended up giving the position to the guy who interviewed after me, but i have a feeling their decission was partially based on gender/race because he was the only male and the only non white/hispanic person ive ever seen work at this location

Interview Question – The most dificult part of the interview was having to answer ever question twice to different managers, it was very difficult to convey myself eloquently after already putting so much effort into it the first time   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call for an interview, went in and said "I need a job."

Interview Question – What was a situation where you were required to go against other people at your previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Prepare for situational type questions, "Tell me about a time..."

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!