Starbucks

Starbucks Interview Questions in Portland, OR

2.4

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I walked in to a few Starbucks with my resume after I applied online, but most of the ones I went into were not actually hiring. One store the manager was there and he said that he just hired someone, but could still meet with me and possibly refer me. I went in a few days later for my interview. I accepted the free drink and got something simple-- a tall, sweetened, iced coffee. I took people's advice on here. I'm sure part of it is to see if you know something about the menu. It also helps if your throat gets dry.

The questions were mostly 'past experience' type questions. From what I remember some of the questions were: "why do you want to work for starbucks?" I said something about loving coffee and that every time I go into starbucks my interactions are positive and I can tell that people enjoy what they do, that I want to be apart of a workplace culture like that, etc. Other questions include 'negative feedback and what did you do to fix it', 'unexpected criticism and how handled', 'unfair co-worker that you had to help and how did you handle the situation', 'unhappy customer and how fixed the situation', 'have you ever got someone to buy something that they weren't planning on buying' (I said no, but there were times when I told someone that a product was popular or that I had tried it and personally liked it), 'strongest quality', 'weakest quality' (I said in the past organization wasn't my strongest point but I have worked on it by...), 'opinion on work friendships', 'how handle down time', 'how handle multitasking', I think 'example of great customer service' was one, 'ever make a big mistake and how corrected' (I said that I never have made a big mistake, but if I did I would take full responsibility and let my manager know as soon as possible and do what I can to help') etc, 'why do you want to be a partner here', and 'time didn't want to do something and how handled'.

I asked him a few questions like, what's your management style, what do you expect from new hires in the first 90 days, how long have you worked here-- did you start out as a barista.

I knew the interview went well right off the bat when he told me that he would fax my information to the district manager to try to get me in somewhere. I got that person's contact information and left her a message. She never got back to me, however a couple of days after another manager called me and left a message telling me he talked to the guy I interviewed with and he told him it went well, and that he would like to interview me as well.

So I went in for that, got the same free drink, gave the manager my resume, which was good because he didn't have it. He told me that he was not going to ask me the same questions. He asked why I wanted to work for Starbucks and other than that he asked about my schedule and future commitments and we talked about my experience. It was pretty laid back. He told me two other people were going for the position so after I asked him questions I told him, you said two other people were in the running, so can I tell you why I'm the best candidate, and tried to sell myself. He said he would call me in a few days and let me know either way.

He never called back when he said he would, but I left a message the next day, and then again the following day. I did call a second time without leaving a message and the employee said that he was really busy lately and my best bet would be to come in and see him on '-day'. So I put on a nice outfit, not as nice as the interview, but presentable. Someone told him I was there and they said it would be about 20 minutes. I was determined though. I turned down the free drink this time and sat down and read. The manager finally came over and offered me conditional employment if my background check cleared. He said he appreciated me coming in and told me what my start date would be. He told me that he felt I would be a good fit to the team. Afterwards he told me I could get a drink so I took that offer feeling really good about myself.

So my advice-- be persistent if you need to, come in with your resume so they can put a face to a name, and even if you aren't super outgoing, make it look like you are-- smile, breathe, try to relax, and any chance you get sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were too difficult because I found questions on here prior and rehearsed out loud many times for two days.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and chose 4 local locations where I would be available to work. The next day I was called for an interview by an area manager and we set up an interview for the following day. Before we hung up he asked me "why do you want to work at Starbucks?" Upon arrival I told the baristas that I had an interview with the manager and they offered me a free drink. I declined because I think it would be rude and unprofessional to drink coffee during an interview (not to mention I already had coffee that day). They told me they'd tell the manager I had arrived and I took a seat. My perception of the baristas working at that location was that they were too busy with their personal conversations to greet me promptly and I had to stand there and wait for them to finish talking.

After about 10 minutes a group of two managers were wrapping up another interview and then approached me. We greeted each other (although I didn't expect there to be two managers) and they invited me to interview in the outdoor seating area. I offered them my resume and they took it. They seemed to have a lot of worries about me going into my field of academic study for a job rather than staying with Starbucks. Questions asked included: Why Starbucks? What makes you a better canidate than other applicants? Tell us about a time there was ambiguity in a workplace situation and how did you handle it? What do you think about friendships at work? Do you have plans for any time off? How long do you see yourself staying at Starbucks/What do you see for your future career? How do you handle multi-tasking? How do you deliver high level customer service when it's busy? How do you build rapport with customers? What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

We wrapped up the inteview with me asking some questions (what is a typical day for a barista, what is the training you provide) and they said I'd hear from them by the following Friday. I never got a call or heard anything back. I purposefully didn't follow up because it doesn't seem like the right culture for me.

My perception of Starbucks was that they want you to make at least a one-year committment to barista-ing and expect you to deliver high level customer service combined with sales. They said you could be taught to be a barista and lack of experience isn't a problem but you need to have a natural ability to connect with people. It seems that you must be an outgoing, perky, "yes" person to work in this position. Overall, the managers were in their mid-twenties and still acted like they were part of a fraternity or sorority. Even worse is that their customers seem to be part of this frat-boy club too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2011.

Starbucks requires you to fill out a pretty lengthy application, which you may submit to multiple locations -- online. It's unfortunate to have to avoid in-person communications for the website, but you can always introduce yourself to a hiring manager. Once contacted for an interview, you are given the opportunity to come to a hiring fair, which is open interview style. You are usually surrounded by other job-seekers and managers from across the region. Starbucks tries to achieve the diversity goal by assigning managers to applicants at random, and having multiple hiring managers interview each client.

It feels more like a meat market.

Hope you get picked!

You will receive a callback if you're hired -- if not, you usually don't get a call.

Interview Questions
    • What's something you're not very good at?   View Answer
    No negotiation, unfortunately.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2010.

Went in person with my resume and introduced myself to the manager on a Monday. He called me a few days later and we scheduled an interview. It was very laid back and I wasn't nervous because I had researched the company a fair amount online, and knew the culture from talking to Starbucks employees as well, so that helped. After the interview he offered the job and I accepted.
           I think it was my open availability, my knowledge of Starbucks culture, and my outgoing approach. He later told me that he liked how I sold myself as the best candidate right away, saying 'Hi I'm so and so and you should hire me because I'm a hard worker and such.' I thought perhaps it was a bit much, but he said it made me stand out from the crowd of applicants.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if something occurred and you weren't sure what to do?   View Answers (2)
    I didn't try to negotiate, maybe I could have. I'm not sure it was an option. I started at 9 plus tips, which worked for me at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2009.

My interview was easy and straightforward. The manager read them directly from a script, though he did seem very engaged when I was answering. The interview took place inside the cafe of the location where I was applying, and it was very neat and clean. I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Your standard customer service and teamwork questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - they have a standardized hourly pay scale for each region. It was (I believe) about a quarter more than minimum wage.