Starbucks

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2013.

After a phone interview with a recruiter from HR which was used to determine my interest in both the position I'd applied to online as well as two other similar positions she had open, I was brought in in-person to interview for the job I'd originally applied for. The interview was a full afternoon spent with the HR recruiter and four people from the team, followed later that week by another phone interview with another person from that same team. The interviews varied in formality and questioning. Some were more discussions of the role and the interviewer's experience, and some were similar to that but with traditional marketing interview questions put into the mix. I had both panel and 1 on 1 interviews.

I stayed in one room the entire time, and many of the interviewers were late so the whole afternoon's schedule was thrown off. Instead of leaving me in the room, the previous interviewer would just keep talking to me in a casual way. It was hard to read the tone of the interviews at that point and I wasn't sure if I should try to keep the "interview" going or follow the lead of the interviewer in speaking casually about things not related to the position or Starbucks.

It didn't seem like the team had coordinated prior to the interview and I had trouble figuring out what the exact position would be for. It sounded like different team members had different ideas of what the new role should/would be, and this made it difficult for me to use information gleaned from each interview in the next one since it was often contradictory or incomplete.

The day was frustrating because of the inconsistency of information about the role, but the scheduler and recruiter at least did a good job in making the hiring process move quickly and treating candidates well on the day of interviews at headquarters. From when I applied online to when I was rejected for the job, the entire process took less than a month, but it helped that I was a local candidate.

Interview Questions
  • I was thrown off by an interview that started conversationally with a lot of back and forth and was suddenly interrupted by point-blank questions. It was hard to recover from the sudden change in tone and format.   Answer Question