Starbucks

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Corona, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, took about 1 1/2 weeks- 2 weeks to be called for a one on one interview.

Told a barista that I was there for an interview and was offered a free drink while I waited. Soon after, the interviewer came out, we shook hands she led me to a table. Questions were "how do you work in teams" "have you ever dealt with a difficult customer" "What is your availability" "are you willing to clean bathrooms" "What would you do if you had to miss work or were running late" "Can you comply with our dress code?" "why Starbucks". They also asked some questions about my volunteer experience (I have no work experience currently).

Interview overall was laid back. I felt I gave good answers to the interview questions however I'm not surprised that I wasn't called back, because I have no work experience.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just the questions listed above.   Answer Question

Hesperia, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

Interview Details – One on one interview, very comfortable environment, very thorough explaination of the company, position and expectations. Dress and grooming should be in accordance with starbucks dresscode, which is available here. Be 10 to 15 min early, they'll offer you a free drink of your choice, be comfortable but professional!

Interview Question – basic set of customer service based questions, make sure to have follow up questions for your perspective mgr.   View Answer

Temecula, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2013.

Interview Details – Was really easy, submitted an application online and was called by the manager for an interview. Had one interview and a follow up phone call and was then hired over the phone.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. What are future plans? Volunteer work? Job experience? Worst/best parts?   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2009.

Interview Details – I had to wait so she told me to get a free drink and sit down. After she asked me the basic questions. Why do you want to work at Starbucks? Why do you think employees where a uniform? What are your strengths and weaknesses? I had to go to two different interviews. The second one was just like the first.

Interview Question – I didn't find any questions particularly difficult as they are the standard questions asked. I did feel a little odd answering some questions about how I worked with others since this was my first job. So I talked about encounters during school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She told me the benefits and pay they offered. She called a few days later and said the job was mine if I wanted it.

Business Analysis Manager Supply Chain Finance Interview

San Bernardino, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was extremely long and convoluted. I applied via internet for the role and was contacted by the scheduler to speak with an HR recruiter. A month or so passed and I was contacted by another recruiter to see if I was still interested and if I could speak to the hiring manager. The hiring manager was not yet in the role and would be moving two months later to take on the role. I was then contacted by the hiring manager to be's boss for another phone interview. Another month and a half passed when I was contacted by yet another HR recruiter to see if I could speak to the hiring manager again via telephone. I did and then a couple weeks went by to see if I could me the team in person. During this process the job description, job location, and reporting structure kept changing. I was scheduled for two days of interviews first at the plant to meet with another HR rep and the plant manager. I was disinterested after meeting the plant manager (Evolution Fresh - San Bernardino/ Rancho Cucamonga) but stayed in line and had another phone interview with a supply chain finance manager at the parent company (Starbucks) headquarters and the next day I finally met the hiring manager and her boss in person....

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult. I interviewed with many different people. For the most part they were behavioral base. However, despite my multiple degrees and years of experience in manufacturing the plant manager wanted to "test" my knowledge and asked about plant budgets, definitions of types of cost (fixed, variable, direct, indirect, sunk...). The plant manager was very combative and disrespectful and seemed as if he was searching for a reason to dislike me. The other 4 interviewers were pleasant enough, straight forward and respectful.   Answer Question

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I walked in and turned in application. (2006, now they have group interview and hiring fairs)
I was asked a couple questions and then they told me they would review my application and give me a call. I received a call a couple days later and an interview was scheduled. In total I had 2 interviews and then was hired. The first interview was conducted by the ASM (Asst Store Manager) and the second by the SM (Store Manager).

Questions were normal, as would be to any other retail/restaurant position.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you had a not so pleasant customer transaction. What did you do to turn it around? Did the customer leave happy? What was the outcome? And what could you have done differently if anything?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They have a set starting point for each position.
You get at least a 2% raise every two months. This depends on your review and how well you are performing. There is a cap for each position so once you reach it there is no where else to go. Its good to work your way up the company if you're looking for better compensation and enjoy what you do here.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Temecula, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2011.

Interview Details – Great interview process, nothing too overwhelming. Ask standard questions for interview into management. We're not intimidating and very thourough. If they ask you the same
Question just with different wording you aren't answering it fully or giving enough detail. All the tools for a proper answers are given to you before the interview if you know where to look and are being hired from within the company. I sat down with district manager and stre manager and after interview the discussed ingest themselves and called me back and offered me the position with a nice raise.

Interview Question – Name a time you had an issue and didn't have all the resources to resolve the problem. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Lake Elsinore, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2011.

Interview Details – They asked me to introduce myself and then they asked me what I was planning to do in the future. Always let them know that you're open and flexible bc this was my loss. I was not offered the job bc of that fact.

Interview Questions

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Riverside, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call from HR about an hour later, had a phone interview. Was scheduled for a 1 on 1 interview the next day in person. Received a job offer the next day. Took them over a month to get me started.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you went above and beyond your normal job duties to help a customer.   Answer Question
  • Explain how you've taken an under performing associate and worked with them to bring up their performance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they pay you what they believe you're worth.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Riverside, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2008.

Interview Details – I got promoted to shift supervisor from within the company. It was a very easy interview and seemed like more of a formality that needed to be met before I could actually be promoted.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you took control over a shift.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks interview questions and advice in Riverside, CA. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.