Starbucks

Updated Jun 12, 2014

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

When I got to the location to interview, I was offered a drink of my choice by the cashier. I asked for water, and while the store manager made it up, we made small talk. I was then asked to have a seat by a side table. After we shook hands, we began the interview, with various scenario-based questions being asked. At one point, the assistant manager trainee took over the interview, and also began asking me questions. I was fortunate in that the Assistant Manager trainee was giving me feedback on my answers (one such instance being "I like the solution you were able to find for your problem.")

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you treated a co-worker with fairness and respect, even though they had not treated you in a similar fashion.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a difficult decision you had to make at work where you didn’t know the right answer or course of action.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you received unexpected critical feedback about your performance. How did the feedback affect your performance?   View Answer
    • What do you do to make sure tasks get completed on time?   View Answer
    I was initially offered minimum wage ($7.25). I requested $8.25, citing my 6 years of prior experience in the retail/service industry. The manager accepted. After the wage was settled, I waited 3 weeks for a background check from Starbucks Global Security to clear. After the background check cleared, I was asked to come in for orientation the next day.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneseo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneseo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

I kept looking for an opportunity to work for Starbucks. The person from college HR department interviewed me on the day of me walking into their office, got my resume and said she did not have any open positions. After I got home, I emailed that person with a list of reasons why I wanted to work for Starbucks on campus and why they had to take me. 2 weeks later there was a couple of open shifts and they called me back.

Interview Questions
    Time was the biggest issue to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Online application company wide, submit one first walking into a store to fill out a paper application is a wasted trip.
    Follow up in 1-3 days, ask for the store manager (not shift supervisor), or stop in and drop of a resume. More than one Starbucks manager has told me they always interview the people who care enough to follow up.
    Actual interview is rather standard, research Starbucks and stress customer service. Ultimately Starbucks is selling customer service in the disguise of coffee, if you are passionate about providing great service make sure your interviewer knows.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greece, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greece, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2011.

I applied online, providing normal application information and also lengthy personality test. Three days later I received a call from a store manager to schedule an interview. We scheduled it for that week. I arrived about 10 minutes early, wearing a nice pair of jeans and collared shirt, told the barista at the counter that I was there for an interview and she asked me if I wanted a drink. I asked for a grande Pike Place roast and they gave it to me on the house. I sat down at a table. Five minutes later a manager greeted me and sat me down at another table with another manager. The one asked the questions, while the other took notes the entire time. The manager asking the questions would ask one and then stare out the window at passing cars as if daydreaming. The interview lasted 15 minutes and they said I would receive a call within 10 days if I had got the job. They never called.

Interview Questions
    • What drink did you get? ("Oh really? Just a coffee?)   View Answer
    • If your previous manager were to describe you in one word, what would it be?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Starbucks?   Answer Question

Barista, Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penfield, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penfield, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks in July 2011.

Extensive Personality Test online, Lots of Waiting, While you apply directly to 5 stores then it goes district wide. If you get a call up to 3 months later, you get 2 interviews

Little Negotiation