Starbucks

2.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

I submitted my application online, through the Starbucks website. It was easy and simple, but takes awhile, like most online applications do. I was able to pick 5 locations at which I was willing to work. I received a phone call a day or two later from Chris, a Starbucks Manager. He wanted to know if any other Starbucks Managers had contacted me. They hadn't.
    I interviewed in person soon after. The interview was informal - in the store at the tables with customers all around. It is rather nice that they offer you a free drink when you interview. The questions were basic. Why do you want to work for Starbucks? Because it's reliable and I can bike to it and coffee sounds fun and smells nice. Are you only interested in working for chain stores? No. Why is your availability only between these hours/do you even know what our store hours are? No I don't, actually! Is anything going to show up on your background check? No, there is nothing there. This question seemed to be his biggest concern. Starbucks conduct the background check soon after.
    I thought I interviewed horribly. I couldn't always hear the Manager, because the store is loud. I was slightly surprised to get the job - I guess they just want to know that you're not crazy and you're reliable. In this expensive area, it seems that these minimum wage positions may not have the largest worker pool to chose from.

Interview Questions
    Uh, as far as I know, there is no negotiation phase to a minimum wage Barista position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Interview was pretty straight forward. They asked about ability to work with customers and past experience. "Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation.", "What is an example of you providing above and beyond customer service?", "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?"

Interview Questions
    • I guess remembering examples that are pertinent to their inquiries was somewhat challenging. I recommend rehearsing some example answers to those types of questions prior to interviewing. Then again that is good advice for any interview.   Answer Question
    Flexibility of working hours was negotiable. There are some guidelines but generally there are many different shifts available unless they are hiring specifically for a "morning shift" or "closing shift" employee.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

They called me in asking for a time for the interview. Always make sure you can come in whenever time is good for the manager. I went in business attire: skirt, heels, hair down etc. Arrived 12 minutes early. Always accept the drink they offer, but don't get a big one. Either a tall or a grande of something simple. YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOOK HIGH MAINTENANCE. Also be super nice to the barista's working because they WILL talk about what you were like to their manager.

Interview Questions
    • Know why you want to work at starbucks. Say that you like coffee no matter what.
      Also know specific instances of when you were strong at your last job, and know a time that you didn't make a customer happy. But try to keep it still positive towards you.

Answer Question
    Thank them and keep all negotiations until after you've worked for at least a month.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Starbucks.

Was initially required to take on in depth management assessment regarding skills and capabilities. It focused on customer service skills, coaching behaviors in random scenarios, and p&l management exercises. After passing the assessment I was contacted by the regional recruiter for the company and conducted a phone interview. Following the phone screening I was interviewed a second time in person by two district managers and then had a final interview with the area director.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a 30-60-90 day action plan for an underperforming location and how you would gauge the effectiveness of your progress?   View Answer
    They asked what I was looking for and I told them my desired salary range. They called me back the next day and made an offer within the midpoint of that range. Smooth sailing. Good people that care about your success and wellbeing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

Applied online.
    Received a phone call 3 days later.
    Set up 1st interview 2 days later.
    Set up 2nd interview 5 days later.
    About a 2 week process but I finally got the job!

Interview was pretty easy but solely based on behavioral type questions. All started with the phrase "tell me about a time where...."
    My advice: Even if you cannot think of a specific experience, respond back with "If I ever were in a situation like that I would..." DON'T JUST SAY "That's never happened to me" or "I can't relate to that"

Interview Questions
    • "What are some things you notice in a busy environment?"
      "Tell me about a time where you did not have an answer or solution for a customer"

Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos Hills, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in April 2011.

one on one interview discussed work culture and committment

very easy

Construction Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2011.

Two recruiter interviews over phone, two manager interviews over phone, one senior manager interview in person, job offer, background check

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in December 2009.

He asked what I liked about coffee, and why I wanted to work at Starbucks. He also asked about my past work experiences. He asked about how I handle gossip at work.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2009.

Was an assistant manager-- went in for an interview with the regional manager.
    As per usual- required coffee tasting, had to show my career path, and that I had made impacts on the store I was an assistant at. Great Experience, easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • Wanted to know how I kept organized and didn't loose track of all the daily operational stuff. Talked about a planner.   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Starbucks in January 2009.

The interview process is easy, they ask you questions that are easy to answer. Just smile and nod your head to everything.