Starbucks

2.7

60 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Procurement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Starbucks.

Initial phone screen with HR followed by a 30 minute phone screen with the hiring manager (your future boss). On-site interview consisted of 6 back-to-back 30-45 minute interviews with immediate team and cross-functional team members (in 1s and 2s). Hiring was largely focused on creating a match to the role based on your experience. Some behavioral questions, but more focus on a conversation / good cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult person you ever managed.   Answer Question
    Limited negotiation on base salary. There was some potential to increase the bonus offer. If you are from out of state, you may look to negotiate relocation assistance (which you may need to pay back after 1-2 years).

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

After applying for the position, it took about a week or two before I was contacted by an HR recruiter. She was very helpful and wanted to set up an in-person interview, skipping the phone interview, which she said was rare. During the interview, I met with various people on the team, the hiring manager, and the director. Everyone seemed very friendly and passionate to be working there. I also received a swag bag which included 1lb of coffee. After the interview, I was updated two or three times from the recruiter on where they were in the hiring process, which I appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly enough, I didn't have any surprise questions or anything that threw me off. Everyone was genuinely nice and seemed excited to be working there. There was about 10 minutes left with each group, where I was asked to talk more about myself, such as hobbies, which I thought was a nice touch.   Answer Question
    I did a lot of research on the company before going into negotiations. Their benefits package is posted online on the career website, so you know what you're getting into before an offer even comes. I was able to negotiate more vacation and a slightly high base salary. The recruiter asked a lot of questions around my current benefits, so they could put a good offer out there right from the start.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

The interview took place in a hospital and I had accidently left my ID at home so the entering took a while. I arrived on-time (with the intention of arriving early) and proceeded to the Starbucks, the manager confronted me but then their register broke and I had to wait 30 minutes until I got to do the interview
    basic questions and I was smiling the whole time and super happy but didn't end up getting he job because of my availability (I called back the following monday)

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

As many have stated before, the questions are all behavior-based. Be prepared to have real examples from your work history and stress the positive! You also get a free drink for your interview, I would recommend not ordering anything overly complicated or expensive. And make sure to throw away your trash when you leave.

No negotiations about salary

Manager, Collections and Deductions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Initial phone interview with recruiter. Then on-site interview with several key people including the hiring manager, cash applications manager, global pricing manager.
    Starbucks does a great job making you feel welcomed. They supply on-site parking, offer a selection of Starbucks coffee and teas and even give you a thank-you "swag" bag.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were behavioral in nature: how did you handle a difficult situation; what project were you instrumental in, how have you handled a failure. Little about actually technical skills.   View Answer
    • What is your most memorable vacation and why?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Hour long interview on campus and a coding question to finish afterwards on my own. Received offer 2 weeks later.

They asked a lot of questions about my projects, really wanted me to drill down to what I'm looking for out of an internship, my long term goals, technical proficiencies, how I deal with difficult people/situations, etc. They were extremely nice and were able to give me direct information on what potential areas I'd be working in as an intern. That said, it was pretty exhausting. Do not come in cold and unprepared!

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that will parse the number of words in a given string without using a quick two line solution   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I was reached out to by a recruiter about an open position. After reading the position description, I told her that I did not think I had the amount of experience they were looking for but she insisted that it was fine. She had me apply to the job online and then setup a 30-minute screening call between her and myself. After the screening call she setup another call with the hiring manager that took place the following week.

I spoke with the hiring manager for about 45 minutes or so over the phone. He was very open and honest about what he is looking for in the position and that he has been trying to fill the role for a very long time. He said that he was going to move forward in the process and had the recruiter setup another phone call with a more senior, executive level person.

Two weeks later I had possibly the most awkward job interview of my life. I consider myself a good interviewee - I always do my homework on the company (I read the 10K, research the company history and its products, etc.), practice behavioral-based questions, and write down questions I'd like to ask beforehand. I am a pretty good conversationalist and actually enjoy the interview process as it gives me an opportunity to learn a bit about a company and usually the career paths of different people.

When the call came I answered using my full name, but was just greeted with a "hello" and then a few seconds of silence. So I was forced to say, "is this <insert first name of person here>?" to which she replied, "Yes it is. So I hear you are interested in working for Starbucks, can you tell me why?". No small talk or introductions or anything which caught me off guard.

She asked me two more very abrupt questions, and then she asked me if I had any questions for her. Literally five minutes in and she's already saying she's done without going through any intros, follow-up questions, etc. I asked her what she was looking for in the ideal candidate and she said that she worked in a different department and so she was merely looking for someone who fit the Starbucks 'brand' more than a good fit for the role itself. I asked her a follow-up from a topic the hiring manager and I had discussed and she responded "I'm not at liberty to talk about that" followed by silence.

So this interview lasted 7 minutes at the most - no small talk, no questions about how I even fit the job role or not, and no interest in me or my background. I had no desire to continue after she gave me the cryptic 'not at liberty to discuss' answer to my last question, and I could tell from the beginning that she had no interest in conducting an actual interview. She said someone would contact me one way or the other in a week and said goodbye.

I waited two weeks with no e-mail or phone call from the recruiter, then saw the job re-posted. I e-mailed the recruiter and said I am withdrawing myself from the process whatever they were going to decide to do next, to which she never replied back.

The whole experience has left me with a sour feeling for Starbucks. On one hand, I suspect the executive I was speaking with felt that I was under-qualified the second she looked at my resume and had no interest in speaking with me and viewed the interview as a waste of her time. Or maybe she was just disinterested because I wouldn't have even been working in her department so she could not have cared less about the interview. But I am left feeling confused because I really connected well with the hiring manager and he even said that I was a great fit for the role and wanted to move forward.

I am left feeling that likely both myself and the hiring manager are a victims of a horrible recruiting process - if who he can hire is determined by the veto power of any one individual in a group, some of whom have no understanding or connection to the open position itself, then that is just a plain silly way to hire people. But, silly process or not, the recruiter should have known better if my lack of experience was going to be a hangup for people, as I had originally pointed out to her, because that means I would have never made it through this group decision process in the first place.

Last, if this is how Starbucks executive leadership presents themselves, I am unimpressed with the arrogance. Even if you feel that the interview is a waste of your time, have the decency to at least try and have a conversation with the person on the phone as that candidate may still be interested in working for the company in the future when they DO have enough experience. However, she didn't even bother to try and get to know me or learn about my career, nor did she bother sharing any details about herself. I have no interest working for a company if the expectation is to put the executive leadership on a golden pedestal and they are no longer held accountable for acting professionally or with humility towards others.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions in this process.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

I was contacted by a recruiter at my school about a job opening. Subsequently, I had a phone interview with another recruiter to gauge my interest. Within days a call with the specific division I was interviewing for was scheduled. Fairly normal interview questions - "tell me about a time when.." etc

Procurement Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2013.

Hiring process was simple, start with phone interview, then move on to on-site interview. Starbucks paid for airfare, hotel and rental cars during on-site interview. Parking was difficult in Starbucks HQ building, but I was able to park in visitor space during my on-site interview. Everyone I met was obsessed with Starbucks brand and all love coffee.

Barista - Starbucks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2013.

Applied online. Called the store a few days later, left a message. The manager called back a few days later and set up an interview for the next day. Was offered a job on the spot. Waited for background check for 4 business days (plus the weekend! Thurs-Tuesday). Set up time to do paperwork and then trained for a week.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of how did you behave and how would you behave type of questions.   Answer Question