Starbucks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista Interview

Barista
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details – As many have stated before, the questions are all behavior-based. Be prepared to have real examples from your work history and stress the positive! You also get a free drink for your interview, I would recommend not ordering anything overly complicated or expensive. And make sure to throw away your trash when you leave.

Interview Question – Unexpected: "How's your handwriting?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations about salary

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Senior Applications Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2012.

Interview Details – Fitting in with the culture of the company is the most important thing. This company is very relationship oriented. Be fun and flexible and know the job you're interviewing for. Make sure you negotiate everything you want upfront because getting it changed after you're hired is very difficult. Get everything in writing.

Interview Question – I don't remember The interview process was great.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were flexible which was nice. I didn't get everything but their second offer was very fair. I didn't feel like I needed to push back.

Data Administrator Interview

Data Administrator
Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2013.

Interview Details – I went through Aerotek, a temp agency located in Bellevue to get my initial interview with Starbucks. My interview was for another position in the same department, which took approximately 2 hours with two sets of interviewers. They were mostly concerned with my database and access knowledge. They wanted to know about my customer service skills and wanted a good idea of how I approach difficult situations.

Interview Question – How would you put together and search a spreadsheet that maintains the data for every store that still needs a new fridge to be implemented for the 2014 rollout?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not as a contract worker

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quality Assurance/Contract Interview

Quality Assurance/Contract
Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Starbucks in September 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, and brief 3 person panel interview. They were nice. There were others interviewing that day, but it was still a pleasant environment.

Interview Question – Asked about technology, typical test workflow, working with others and about coffee knowledge.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Worked with the contractor recruiter.

Human Resources Director Interview

Human Resources Director
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2013.

Interview Details – They have an involved process. I had a number of phone/Skype interviews before being flown to Seattle. The actual interviews were pretty straightforward, more like conversations than structured interviews. There did not seem to be assigned topics or areas for each person to probe so I ended up repeating myself/my story to each person, which is okay with me. Interestingly, they asked me to sign a confidentiality agreement before the interview – first time I’ve encountered that.

Interview Question – As I said above, no real difficult questions. They were clearly trying to determine if I fit their culture so the work I did ahead of time to talk to people who worked there was helpful.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ultimately decided that the job was not the right fit for where I am in my career.

Manager, Collections and Deductions Interview

Manager, Collections and Deductions
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with recruiter. Then on-site interview with several key people including the hiring manager, cash applications manager, global pricing manager.
Starbucks does a great job making you feel welcomed. They supply on-site parking, offer a selection of Starbucks coffee and teas and even give you a thank-you "swag" bag.

Interview Questions

• Questions were behavioral in nature: how did you handle a difficult situation; what project were you instrumental in, how have you handled a failure. Little about actually technical skills.   View Answer
  • What is your most memorable vacation and why?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Interview Details – Hour long interview on campus and a coding question to finish afterwards on my own. Received offer 2 weeks later.

They asked a lot of questions about my projects, really wanted me to drill down to what I'm looking for out of an internship, my long term goals, technical proficiencies, how I deal with difficult people/situations, etc. They were extremely nice and were able to give me direct information on what potential areas I'd be working in as an intern. That said, it was pretty exhausting. Do not come in cold and unprepared!

Interview Question – Write a function that will parse the number of words in a given string without using a quick two line solution   View Answer

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email about a week later from an internal recruiter to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. After the phone interview I was asked to come in for an interview with the hiring manager one-on-one and then a panel interview with the team i would be working with directly. All of the questions were behavioral based, meaning there was no right or wrong answer, they were just trying to see if I would be a good fit for the team and the role.

Interview Question – All of the interview questions were fairly easy to answer. The hardest part was thinking of examples to the questions. Such as: "Tell me about a time you had multiple tasks due in a limited time frame? What did you do? What was the outcome? What would you have done differently?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know I could and should have negotiated at the time.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I was reached out to by a recruiter about an open position. After reading the position description, I told her that I did not think I had the amount of experience they were looking for but she insisted that it was fine. She had me apply to the job online and then setup a 30-minute screening call between her and myself. After the screening call she setup another call with the hiring manager that took place the following week.

I spoke with the hiring manager for about 45 minutes or so over the phone. He was very open and honest about what he is looking for in the position and that he has been trying to fill the role for a very long time. He said that he was going to move forward in the process and had the recruiter setup another phone call with a more senior, executive level person.

Two weeks later I had possibly the most awkward job interview of my life. I consider myself a good interviewee - I always do my homework on the company (I read the 10K, research the company history and its products, etc.), practice behavioral-based questions, and write down questions I'd like to ask beforehand. I am a pretty good conversationalist and actually enjoy the interview process as it gives me an opportunity to learn a bit about a company and usually the career paths of different people.

When the call came I answered using my full name, but was just greeted with a "hello" and then a few seconds of silence. So I was forced to say, "is this <insert first name of person here>?" to which she replied, "Yes it is. So I hear you are interested in working for Starbucks, can you tell me why?". No small talk or introductions or anything which caught me off guard.

She asked me two more very abrupt questions, and then she asked me if I had any questions for her. Literally five minutes in and she's already saying she's done without going through any intros, follow-up questions, etc. I asked her what she was looking for in the ideal candidate and she said that she worked in a different department and so she was merely looking for someone who fit the Starbucks 'brand' more than a good fit for the role itself. I asked her a follow-up from a topic the hiring manager and I had discussed and she responded "I'm not at liberty to talk about that" followed by silence.

So this interview lasted 7 minutes at the most - no small talk, no questions about how I even fit the job role or not, and no interest in me or my background. I had no desire to continue after she gave me the cryptic 'not at liberty to discuss' answer to my last question, and I could tell from the beginning that she had no interest in conducting an actual interview. She said someone would contact me one way or the other in a week and said goodbye.

I waited two weeks with no e-mail or phone call from the recruiter, then saw the job re-posted. I e-mailed the recruiter and said I am withdrawing myself from the process whatever they were going to decide to do next, to which she never replied back.

The whole experience has left me with a sour feeling for Starbucks. On one hand, I suspect the executive I was speaking with felt that I was under-qualified the second she looked at my resume and had no interest in speaking with me and viewed the interview as a waste of her time. Or maybe she was just disinterested because I wouldn't have even been working in her department so she could not have cared less about the interview. But I am left feeling confused because I really connected well with the hiring manager and he even said that I was a great fit for the role and wanted to move forward.

I am left feeling that likely both myself and the hiring manager are a victims of a horrible recruiting process - if who he can hire is determined by the veto power of any one individual in a group, some of whom have no understanding or connection to the open position itself, then that is just a plain silly way to hire people. But, silly process or not, the recruiter should have known better if my lack of experience was going to be a hangup for people, as I had originally pointed out to her, because that means I would have never made it through this group decision process in the first place.

Last, if this is how Starbucks executive leadership presents themselves, I am unimpressed with the arrogance. Even if you feel that the interview is a waste of your time, have the decency to at least try and have a conversation with the person on the phone as that candidate may still be interested in working for the company in the future when they DO have enough experience. However, she didn't even bother to try and get to know me or learn about my career, nor did she bother sharing any details about herself. I have no interest working for a company if the expectation is to put the executive leadership on a golden pedestal and they are no longer held accountable for acting professionally or with humility towards others.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions in this process.   View Answer

Shift Supervor Interview

Shift Supervor
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Lots of questions regarding customer service. Be prepared to answer questions about situations and things that you have done.

Interview Question – When were you unable to make a customer happy and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!