Starbucks

Average Difficulty
94 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shift Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate. They mostly judged off of work ethic, etc. They promote easily for supervisor, but stop there. It is not easy to become an assistant manager or manager internally.

Shift Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager about a week apart. All the questions are very behavioral... tell me about a time, etc. It's helpful to think of some answers beforehand because they expect you to be specific about the situation

Interview Question – What's your favorite drink from Starbucks?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, there's not really room for negotiation unless you have previous experience with the company.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Getting hired at Starbucks used to be difficult. I don't know if it is today. I went through 3 interviews. Most questions were situation-based and focused on customer service. Some focused on waste and time management.

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – There was an online assessment, application, and I believe background check (I assume they run only if they intend to make a job offer). I believe there was a phone interview followed by a face to face interview in a professional environment and with pretty standard questions. Interview was prompt, noticeably followed a certain outline, but was improvised upon.

Interview Question – Don't remember, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation went as expected, I aimed higher than I thought I would get and settled at a rate I was comfortable with.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to several locations online, but got a response from the location I physically went to and introduced myself to the manager. I was called within a week with a phone interview, where they asked me a few questions:

- How will your college classes interfere with your work schedule when fall arrives
- Why was I leaving my current job
- Why I wanted to work at Starbucks

We then setup a second interview during the upcoming week. This was one on one with the Store Manager, where I was asked:

- Describe a time where you received criticism
- Describe a time when there was a miscommunication between you and your employee
- Explain your history with sales
- Explain your history with project management
- Describe a time you had to have a difficult talk with an employee

And then some more basic questions, such as 'would I be able to make it to work reliably' 'are you able to move up to 40 lbs of product on a daily basis' and 'are you able to be on your feet for long periods of time'. The second interview concluded with the store manager asking if I had any questions for her, where I asked why she chose Starbucks, and some of the relationships between leadership roles.

A third interview was scheduled at the end of the week with a different store manager. Similar to the second, I was asked:

- Describe a time when an employee was being difficult, and how you dealt with it
- Describe a time when you sold a product to a customer that they hadn't originally intended to buy

There were more questions, but those were the only ones I can remember right now (sorry!).

I was called a week later with a job offer- though it was to a different location (which worked out, as it was closer to my house). I believe Starbucks has some managers do the interview process more than others, and if they believe the employee is suited for the job, then they will talk to other managers to find a place for you. This means it is very important to apply to several places, and introduce yourself to each manager, saying something like "Good Morning, I'm __, I submitted an application for employment this morning and just wanted to come by and introduce myself." I believe that's what helped me get the job over the other people applying, at least.

Also- the store manager mentioned that they normally promote from within, because the stress of having to learn several jobs in training can be overwhelming, so keep that in mind as well.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a great hourly wage, and the job receives tips as well. I didn't have a need to negotiate.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is pretty simple. You meet with the store manager and they just talk with you about previous employers, ask you job related questions and of course ask why you want to work for their company. They will also talk to you about availability and what you look to earn from working at Starbucks.

Interview Question – Question that I was asked were: Where do you see yourself in a year? Where do you see yourself in five years? What are you looking to gain from employment at starbucks? Why do you want to work for starbucks? and other questions may be asked depending on previous expericence such as how well you solve problems and deal with stress.   Answer Question

North Olmsted, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had an interview with the store manager of my home store. I had a second interview with a neighboring Starbucks manager. Typical questions such as "Tell me about a time when you coached an employee and the outcome." A few days after the second interview, I got a call from the first manager with an offer in which I accepted. It took my process 30 days to complete because I had requested to put in a two weeks notice at my previous job before I started. The process probably would've only taken 2 weeks instead of 4 if not for the circumstance. The onboarding process is done before your actual first day of work. It usually takes 3-5 hours and consists of filling out paperwork such as the I9 and W4 forms. You do get paid for working the onboarding process. You also do a coffee tasting during that time and will spend a majority of it reading company policy materials, safety concerns etc. They will provide you your aprons at that time as well. My barista training is taking place in another store. How long you are in the training process depends on how fast you can learn. What they mistakenly forgot to tell me tell me during my offer is that during your initial "training" period you do not get any portion of the tips because you are technically not "contributing" to the stores profit! I think that was pretty shady of them to tell me after the fact, so I feel like that is something that should be addressed.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you thought you were not going to complete a project or projects on time. What did you do to try to meet the deadline?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. I got a higher pay offer due to my previous experience as a retail store manager.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Starbucks in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online - got a call a few days later to set up an interview. At the start of the interview they will offer you a drink which is important to take. The interview was pretty informal and consists primarily of the behavioral type questions which are described in all the other Starbucks reviews on here:
"Why Starbucks?"
"Tell me about a time when you offered excellent customer service"
"tell about a time when you disagreed with your boss or a co-worker"
"Tell me about a time when you failed or didn't perform your job duties correctly"

there are a lot of different ones they like to use. The key is to be very specific in your examples and to avoid general/broad answers ("Last Tuesday, I was training a new employee and...." is much better than "Generally on the weekdays we get pretty busy and often I will...")
BE SPECIFIC!

Overall, the interview is pretty relaxed and not that difficult. Its good to be upfront with what youre looking for in Starbucks, and at the end it's equally important to ask them some questions which shows you're geuinely interested in the postion.

Immediately following the 1st interview I was told that I would be set up with a 2nd interview at another location.
2nd interview was more of the same - behavioral questions

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake or failed to meet the expectations of your job duties   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – As an experienced retail manager for several companies I came in for a shift supervisor interview. It went well as a standard interview, all queries were behavioral based. After interview was complete I was told that they never hire at shift supervisor level and that I must start off as a barista at minimum wage as an offer, and that maybe after six months I'd have to opportunity to advance. I was a little appalled but kept a pleasant demeanor, I've been management for 10+ years.

Interview Question – Explained the entire staff was laid off for winter, and now that summer was in full swing they were short staffed. The honesty of this foreshadowing threw me off. They asked for my availability.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had other offers that were better

Shift Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Apply online, initial interview, secondary interview, phone call same day to let you know if you have received the job or not. The interviews are set up to make sure they know that they are getting a quality customer service oriented person.

Interview Question – "Tell me a time when a company you have worked for, has done something that you did not agree with, and how you either overcame, or voiced your opinion."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the pay to receive a little bit more given my background

Interviews for Top Jobs at Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks Shift Supervisor interview questions and advice. All 94 interview reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees and interview candidates.