Starbucks

Average Difficulty
97 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Valley Center, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in January 2014.

Interview Details – there are several interviews, one with panel, one with HR, 1-2 with direct supervisors. long process can take up a week to complete all interviews, if offered the job, there is a HUGE packet to fill out because it is in an Indian casino, and they do drug test on the spot and extensive background check that takes on average 4 weeks to pass.

Interview Question – they have you act out a scene from a movie in the panel interview. they make you as uncomfortable as possible to see if you can deal with stressful situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Shift Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Submit an application online and list the top 3 store you would like to work with. Be flexible with your availability and negotiate your days off in person.
A manager or Assistant manager will call for a phone interview. If that interview goes well, you'll be asked to come into the store for another interview.
Take a moment to get a feel of the store. Is it busy? Slow? Are customers and baristas smiling and laughing? You're interviewing them too.

Interview Question – Can you work Sunday? Can you open or close. Have a yes, no or sometimes ready for these questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have coffee shop, restaurant or even retail experience, don't be afraid to ask for more money.

Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interview will ask many "situation" questions, such as you giving an example of a time when you were faced with 2 different pending problems at once and had to divide your time. What would you do with a coworker who is slacking off? Time management examples. Overall, the interview is relaxed and just like the one for Baristas, except you must use your Barista experience to prove you can step up to the next level. Honestly, alot of times, you are already in and the interview is just to confirm. Usually a manager will set you up with another manager and then they email each other yay or nay. If you are already established in Starbucks as a decent barista, you will do fine.

Interview Question – Give an example of how you satisfied a demanding customer. What could you do better?   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the store manager about a week apart. All the questions are very behavioral... tell me about a time, etc. It's helpful to think of some answers beforehand because they expect you to be specific about the situation

Interview Question – What's your favorite drink from Starbucks?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, there's not really room for negotiation unless you have previous experience with the company.

Shift Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate. They mostly judged off of work ethic, etc. They promote easily for supervisor, but stop there. It is not easy to become an assistant manager or manager internally.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – Getting hired at Starbucks used to be difficult. I don't know if it is today. I went through 3 interviews. Most questions were situation-based and focused on customer service. Some focused on waste and time management.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to several locations online, but got a response from the location I physically went to and introduced myself to the manager. I was called within a week with a phone interview, where they asked me a few questions:

- How will your college classes interfere with your work schedule when fall arrives
- Why was I leaving my current job
- Why I wanted to work at Starbucks

We then setup a second interview during the upcoming week. This was one on one with the Store Manager, where I was asked:

- Describe a time where you received criticism
- Describe a time when there was a miscommunication between you and your employee
- Explain your history with sales
- Explain your history with project management
- Describe a time you had to have a difficult talk with an employee

And then some more basic questions, such as 'would I be able to make it to work reliably' 'are you able to move up to 40 lbs of product on a daily basis' and 'are you able to be on your feet for long periods of time'. The second interview concluded with the store manager asking if I had any questions for her, where I asked why she chose Starbucks, and some of the relationships between leadership roles.

A third interview was scheduled at the end of the week with a different store manager. Similar to the second, I was asked:

- Describe a time when an employee was being difficult, and how you dealt with it
- Describe a time when you sold a product to a customer that they hadn't originally intended to buy

There were more questions, but those were the only ones I can remember right now (sorry!).

I was called a week later with a job offer- though it was to a different location (which worked out, as it was closer to my house). I believe Starbucks has some managers do the interview process more than others, and if they believe the employee is suited for the job, then they will talk to other managers to find a place for you. This means it is very important to apply to several places, and introduce yourself to each manager, saying something like "Good Morning, I'm __, I submitted an application for employment this morning and just wanted to come by and introduce myself." I believe that's what helped me get the job over the other people applying, at least.

Also- the store manager mentioned that they normally promote from within, because the stress of having to learn several jobs in training can be overwhelming, so keep that in mind as well.

Negotiation Details – I was offered a great hourly wage, and the job receives tips as well. I didn't have a need to negotiate.

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details – There was an online assessment, application, and I believe background check (I assume they run only if they intend to make a job offer). I believe there was a phone interview followed by a face to face interview in a professional environment and with pretty standard questions. Interview was prompt, noticeably followed a certain outline, but was improvised upon.

Interview Question – Don't remember, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation went as expected, I aimed higher than I thought I would get and settled at a rate I was comfortable with.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is pretty simple. You meet with the store manager and they just talk with you about previous employers, ask you job related questions and of course ask why you want to work for their company. They will also talk to you about availability and what you look to earn from working at Starbucks.

Interview Question – Question that I was asked were: Where do you see yourself in a year? Where do you see yourself in five years? What are you looking to gain from employment at starbucks? Why do you want to work for starbucks? and other questions may be asked depending on previous expericence such as how well you solve problems and deal with stress.   Answer Question

North Olmsted, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had an interview with the store manager of my home store. I had a second interview with a neighboring Starbucks manager. Typical questions such as "Tell me about a time when you coached an employee and the outcome." A few days after the second interview, I got a call from the first manager with an offer in which I accepted. It took my process 30 days to complete because I had requested to put in a two weeks notice at my previous job before I started. The process probably would've only taken 2 weeks instead of 4 if not for the circumstance. The onboarding process is done before your actual first day of work. It usually takes 3-5 hours and consists of filling out paperwork such as the I9 and W4 forms. You do get paid for working the onboarding process. You also do a coffee tasting during that time and will spend a majority of it reading company policy materials, safety concerns etc. They will provide you your aprons at that time as well. My barista training is taking place in another store. How long you are in the training process depends on how fast you can learn. What they mistakenly forgot to tell me tell me during my offer is that during your initial "training" period you do not get any portion of the tips because you are technically not "contributing" to the stores profit! I think that was pretty shady of them to tell me after the fact, so I feel like that is something that should be addressed.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you thought you were not going to complete a project or projects on time. What did you do to try to meet the deadline?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. I got a higher pay offer due to my previous experience as a retail store manager.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!